+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A few Questions, just starting the process now...

tulamoon

Star Member
Jan 20, 2011
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-03-2011
Doc's Request.
--
AOR Received.
--
Med's Done....
25-02-2011
Interview........
--
Passport Req..
--
VISA ISSUED...
--
LANDED..........
--
I'm sure a lot of my questions have already been answered elsewhere, but there are SO many topics to weed through, I figure it will be simpler for me to just ask them all at once.

My husband is American. We were just married on December 31st but have been together for 2 years. He is currently living with me here in Canada on a Student Visa that is valid until December 2012. We've only just send his FBI check stuff in and we're just waiting for that to continue the process.

Because he's on a student visa already what would we put as his current address on the application forms? He doesn't have a US address at the moment. I suppose he could use his sisters address in the states, but he doesn't live there. Should we just put our address in Canada?

Also we were originally planning on getting married in June in California, but bumped it up. But we still plan on going to San Diego in June to celebrate with his family who could not be here in December. What are the chances of him having issues re-entering Canada when he comes back?
We're also planning a wedding reception here in Canada in June, but I'm wondering if we should include that in our application or does that look "suspicious"?

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
Because your husband was admitted to Canada with a student visa valid for at least one year (two years, in fact) he is eligible to use the Canada address as his residential, as well as mailing, address. This really doesn't affect much about the application process - the ap will still be processed through Buffalo (assuming you are applying outland). The only difference would be that, if an interview is required, the ap will stay in Buffalo as opposed to being transferred to one of the other US visa offices (Los Angeles, Seattle, Detroit or NYC).

Normally when a foreign national leaves Canada there are no guarantees that they will be readmitted to Canada. However, with you accompanying your husband back with proof of the legal marriage and proof that you have applied to sponsor him (as well as his valid student permit) I would suspect you won't have any problems. Just be sure he doesn't try to bring a truckload of his stuff from California with him.

No, noting on the application forms that you intend to have a reception in San Diego, and another in Canada on your return does not look suspicious. What makes him eligible to be sponsored for PR is the fact that you married legally. What convinces them of the "genuine" nature of your relationship are all of the proofs that you submit with your application of the development and continuing nature of your relationship - so that they know that he didn't just marry you to get into Canada. Plans for reception(s) are really of no consequence - you can mention them, or not, with the same end result.

BTW - where in California? I'm from there, also.

tulamoon

Star Member
Jan 20, 2011
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-03-2011
Doc's Request.
--
AOR Received.
--
Med's Done....
25-02-2011
Interview........
--
Passport Req..
--
VISA ISSUED...
--
LANDED..........
--
cool, thanks for the info. It's all so nerve racking.

He's originally from Pasadena.