T0RR0

Jan 15, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello there!

Hope you guys and girls can help me answer a few questions in regard to PR application under CEC. I am applying with my common-law partner and filling in the forms, and stumbled upon a few sections. Greatly appreciate your effort!!!

1. Proof of common-law union - the fact that we applied for tax returns together in 2013. There is nothing on the letters of assessment that specifically says that we applied together, nor do they mention our names together. How can we prove it?

2. My national ID expired in 2011, I have been home only once in the last 6 years, never really had a chance to, nor did I need to, renew it. Now, I only have 1) my expired National ID, 2) my home country drivers license (which is a form of ID, but not acceptable for voting and big things like that) and 3) my passport. What do you recommend I do? I was thinking of attaching my expired ID with my valid drivers license with a short explanation that I did not have a chance to renew my national ID and hope they accept my drivers license.

3. Letter of Approval - from our understanding, we would receive some sort of acknowledgement from CIC that we are pre-approved. The thing is, I want to apply for an open-bridge permit, and would need this type of acknowledgement. Do you know approximately when we should expect this?

Thank you very much!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'll help with one question.

1) You should provide evidence that demonstrates that you have lived together at the same address for a minimum of one full year. Examples: joint lease agreements, joint property ownership, joint utility statements, bank statements showing your address and both of your names, letters sent to each of you going to the same address.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
T0RR0 said:
3. Letter of Approval - from our understanding, we would receive some sort of acknowledgement from CIC that we are pre-approved. The thing is, I want to apply for an open-bridge permit, and would need this type of acknowledgement. Do you know approximately when we should expect this?
For CEC applicants, receipt of the AOR (acknowledgement of receipt) is what you need to become eligible for the BOWP. If your application is complete and not returned, that usually comes about 2 months after you submit your application.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
T0RR0 said:
2. My national ID expired in 2011, I have been home only once in the last 6 years, never really had a chance to, nor did I need to, renew it. Now, I only have 1) my expired National ID, 2) my home country drivers license (which is a form of ID, but not acceptable for voting and big things like that) and 3) my passport. What do you recommend I do? I was thinking of attaching my expired ID with my valid drivers license with a short explanation that I did not have a chance to renew my national ID and hope they accept my drivers license.
Not all countries have a national identity card.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_national_identity_card_policies_by_country

If your country does, you need to provide it (expired or otherwise). A driver's license is not a substitute. But personally I would suggest seeing if you could renew it first. Are you sure you need to return to your country to renew it? Check with your embassy....

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
T0RR0 said:
1. Proof of common-law union - the fact that we applied for tax returns together in 2013. There is nothing on the letters of assessment that specifically says that we applied together, nor do they mention our names together. How can we prove it?
There's a form you (should have) submitted to the CRA to inform them of your change in marital status -
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/rc65/README.html

You could provide a photocopy of that form. You could also provide a photocopy of the first page of your tax returns, where you indicate your marital status and the identity of your spouse/partner.

T0RR0

Jan 15, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jes_ON said:
For CEC applicants, receipt of the AOR (acknowledgement of receipt) is what you need to become eligible for the BOWP. If your application is complete and not returned, that usually comes about 2 months after you submit your application.
I wish I had the time... we are applying these days, and given that my WP expires soon, I need to get this done ASAP so that I have time to apply for OBWP.

I am not the main applicant - my spouse is, does this change things?