+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

a few questions about BOWP Application

cec_abc

Apr 2, 2013
Hi everyone, I'm preparing my BOWP online application. On the application page, it asks for "Family Member Proof of Status" and it says "You must provide a copy of your family member's Canadian citizenship or Canadian immigration status document (e.g., Canadian passport or Permanent Resident Card). Please copy both sides of the document." But she is not canadian and just holds the passport from her country. But she does have a visitor visa right now for 1 year. Should I just submit her passport copy?

And before I get to the application page I need to answer a few questions. There are two questions I'm not sure and hope to get your help.

Are you are a spouse, common-law partner or dependent child of a person who:
- Holds a Work Permit for a job in National Occupation Classification O, A, B;
- Holds a study permit and is a full-time student at a university, community college, CÉGEP or other authorized educational institution;
- Holds a Temporary Resident Permit that is valid for six months or more;
- Applied for Permanent Residence to an office in Canada and was determined to be eligible for Permanent Resident status (first stage approval)
- Is subject of a removal order that is unenforceable.

Should I answer "Yes" for this question? With my understanding, "Point 3" and "Point 4" both meet her situation. Is my understanding right?

Another one I'm not sure is:
Have you been told by a Citizenship and Immigration Canada office that you are approved in principle for permanent residence in Canada?

What does "in principle" here mean? Does it mean if you get your "AOR"?
Thanks!

LPS

Champion Member
Aug 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2013
AOR Received.
07-10-2013
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
09-04-2014
For the 'approval in principle' question answer yes if you have received your AOR.

For the spouse/dependent question it shouldn't really matter what answer you give, as this isn't part of the eligibility rules for BOWP.

cec_abc

Apr 2, 2013
Thanks LPS. So for family members I just need to upload a copy of her passport, right?
LPS said:
For the 'approval in principle' question answer yes if you have received your AOR.

For the spouse/dependent question it shouldn't really matter what answer you give, as this isn't part of the eligibility rules for BOWP.

LPS

Champion Member
Aug 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2013
AOR Received.
07-10-2013
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
09-04-2014
cec_abc said:
Thanks LPS. So for family members I just need to upload a copy of her passport, right?
I'm not sure why it's asking this. BOWP is for individuals, but perhaps someone who's been through the process and has a spouse or dependents could answer this?

cee12345

Dec 23, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC in Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May-12-2014 (Received in Ottawa on May-14-2014)
Doc's Request.
Sent PCC on Sep-4-2014 (without any request from CIC)
AOR Received.
June-25-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
Dec-22-2014
Med's Done....
Dec-23-2014 (by Dr. Gabor Lantos - Uploaded via eMedical on Jan-13-2015. ECAS updated to Medical Received on Jan-16-2015)
Passport Req..
March 23, 2015 at 9:37PM (ECAS Status changed to Decision Made on March 24, 2015)
VISA ISSUED...
March 25, 2015
LANDED..........
May 10, 2015
LPS said:
I'm not sure why it's asking this. BOWP is for individuals, but perhaps someone who's been through the process and has a spouse or dependents could answer this?
Bridging is just a term. You will still use the standard Work Permit application form or Work Permit Online Application Form.
There is a question about Family/Dependents: "Check “Yes” or “No” to indicate if your spouse or common-law partner is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident". Click Yes if Canadian or PR or NO if otherwise.

cec_abc

Apr 2, 2013
hi cee12345, do you know why my online application is asking me to upload spouse passport? It's really weird because all my previous application is only asking for my information.
cee12345 said:
Bridging is just a term. You will still use the standard Work Permit application form or Work Permit Online Application Form.
There is a question about Family/Dependents: "Check “Yes” or “No” to indicate if your spouse or common-law partner is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident". Click Yes if Canadian or PR or NO if otherwise.

cee12345

Dec 23, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC in Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
June-25-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
Dec-22-2014
Med's Done....
Dec-23-2014 (by Dr. Gabor Lantos - Uploaded via eMedical on Jan-13-2015. ECAS updated to Medical Received on Jan-16-2015)
Passport Req..
March 23, 2015 at 9:37PM (ECAS Status changed to Decision Made on March 24, 2015)
VISA ISSUED...
March 25, 2015
LANDED..........
May 10, 2015
cec_abc said:
hi cee12345, do you know why my online application is asking me to upload spouse passport? It's really weird because all my previous application is only asking for my information.
Are you sure you are on the right ONLINE FORM?
It should only ask for the applicant's passport.
I had applied ONLINE previously but it did not ask for any spouse/dependents passport.
Otherwise you just hvae to redo your Online Questionnaire.

cee12345

Dec 23, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC in Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
June-25-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
Dec-22-2014
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
March 25, 2015
LANDED..........
May 10, 2015
cec_abc said:
hi cee, I'm thinking the same way. I'm now redo my online questionaire and see what I can get then.
Please ensure that you answer NO to the questions about Spouse.
I think the question was if you or your spouse is Canadian or PR.

JenBorges

Dec 16, 2020
Hi, I am currently under an Open Work Permit and I'm filling the questionnaire to change my status and apply for a student permit, My husband currently holds a Study Permit that expires next month, he is already done with school but his permit is until next month, What should I answer in this question:

Are you a spouse, common-law partner or dependent child of a person who:
  • Holds a Work Permit for a job in National Occupation Classification O, A, B;
  • Holds a study permit and is a full-time student at a university, community college, CÉGEP or other authorized educational institution;
  • Holds a Temporary Resident Permit that is valid for six months or more;
  • Applied for Permanent Residence to an office in Canada and was determined to be eligible for Permanent Resident status (first stage approval)
  • Is subject of a removal order that is unenforceable.
I am looking the point number 2, my husband holds a study permit but he's not studying at this time. The answer can be just yes or not.
Thanks

CanVisa1

Star Member
Jul 26, 2017
Hi Guys,

I would appreciate your help on the below.

I have applied for PR under CEC along with my 2 dependents (Wife and Son). At the moment we all are in Canada and want to apply for BOWP, however I got little worried after reading on the IRCC website that the dependents of APR are not eligible for applying BOWP.

I - Have a closed work permit (Will expire in 7 months)
Wife - Has a open work permit (Will expire in 7 months)
Son - Has a visitor record (Will expire in 7 months)

I understand that I can apply for BOWP but what should I do for my dependents if they are not eligible for BOWP ?