+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A criminal record / Conditional discharge affects job prospects in India?

rahuldiscreet007

Jun 4, 2019
I am from India doing my masters in Canada. I got a conditional discharge for theft under 5000. Will it affect my job prospects in India when I am back in India? ( Don't have any criminal history in India)

Reactions: Prasad001

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016
I am from India doing my masters in Canada. I got a conditional discharge for theft under 5000. Will it affect my job prospects in India when I am back in India? ( Don't have any criminal history in India)
As you are from India wouldn't you know better what they look at when hiring? I doubt they ask for a criminal record check from Canada.

Why would you take such a big risk with regards to your life in Canada/India over $400? Which is nothing compared to the international tuition fees I bet you had to pay for masters.

rahuldiscreet007

Jun 4, 2019
As you are from India wouldn't you know better what they look at when hiring? I doubt they ask for a criminal record check from Canada.

Why would you take such a big risk with regards to your life in Canada/India over $400? Which is nothing compared to the international tuition fees I bet you had to pay for masters.
Yes it was a mistake and I regret it every second of my life

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016
Will it affect when I apply for my pgwp? I will be in probation when u apply. Please help if you have any idea about this
I cant speak for PGWP but I can speak with regards to employment. In my current job and my last job I have done many interviews and hired employees. Whenever we were hiring a new employee we had human resources to do a background check on the applicant before officially hiring them. Im assuming many companies would do that as well. Not sure if your theft charge from an employer would show up or not. If I was the hiring manager and I saw the potential candidate had a theft charge from previous employer I would see that as a major red flag to the persons integrity and credibility.

Reactions: rahuldiscreet007

Prasad001

Apr 4, 2019
Hello Rahul, I am very sorry to hear your situation but I do not think you spoiled your life yet and if you are planning to go back to India and work, this not gonna affect you at all. you can get a PGWP and Permanent residence as well, If you follow strictly certain steps as follows
- Never commit another crime ( If you commit two crimes, you will be inadmissible under IRPA )
- Be honest and truthful in your future CIC applications ( If you hide any formation you may accused for misrepresentation and it is a crime)
- Your PGWP application must Include court record, your criminal layer's opinion letter(Charges and dispositions), RCMP police certificate
- Do voluntary work as much as possible as it may help you to prove cic that you did some works in community and living a stable life.
- As you have a Conditional discharge, I believe you pleaded guilty and your record stay for 3 years. your record can be seen in CPIC, so you may be denied entry while you coming back to canada at port of entry, if you leave to India ( During this 3 year period)
I hope this information helps you, be positive and hopeful. I wish you good luck.

Reactions: rahuldiscreet007

rahuldiscreet007

Jun 4, 2019
Hello Rahul, I am very sorry to hear your situation but I do not think you spoiled your life yet and if you are planning to go back to India and work, this not gonna affect you at all. you can get a PGWP and Permanent residence as well, If you follow strictly certain steps as follows
- Never commit another crime ( If you commit two crimes, you will be inadmissible under IRPA )
- Be honest and truthful in your future CIC applications ( If you hide any formation you may accused for misrepresentation and it is a crime)
- Your PGWP application must Include court record, your criminal layer's opinion letter(Charges and dispositions), RCMP police certificate
- Do voluntary work as much as possible as it may help you to prove cic that you did some works in community and living a stable life.
- As you have a Conditional discharge, I believe you pleaded guilty and your record stay for 3 years. your record can be seen in CPIC, so you may be denied entry while you coming back to canada at port of entry, if you leave to India ( During this 3 year period)
I hope this information helps you, be positive and hopeful. I wish you good luck.
Thank you so much for the information Sir. I got an absolute discharge instead of conditional which will be in the record for an year. How will that affect my pgwp application? Is it a good idea to go for the flagpoling? Please reply. Your earlier reply gave me lot of confidence.