+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A couple to be divorced before landing

hambousha

Jan 9, 2015
Dears
Need your advice !
A couple got immigrant visas with the husband as a main applicant. They have to land before the expiry of the visas on July 31
They decicded to divorce
1-Can every one travel alone ?
2-Can the main applicant reach Canada earlier and tell the immigration officer that his wife is not coming so the officer cancels her visa?
3-Can the lady travel before him?
Thanks a lot

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dears
Need your advice !
A couple got immigrant visas with the husband as a main applicant. They have to land before the expiry of the visas on July 31
They decicded to divorce
1-Can every one travel alone ?
2-Can the main applicant reach Canada earlier and tell the immigration officer that his wife is not coming so the officer cancels her visa?
3-Can the lady travel before him?
Thanks a lot
Literally all this information is in the letter this couple received along their COPR.

Also, the principal applicant must inform IRCC of the change in marital status BEFORE doing the landing procedure.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If the husband is the PA, then he can enter Canada after the divorce without any problem. Have to update the status to CIC. But the visa for spouse will be cancelled and she is no longer eligible to enter Canada with the current visa, also her PR status will be revoked. She has to apply separately as a new PA, create her profile and go through the express entry process from the beginning. The same is the scenario even when the divorce happens after entering in to Canada. In other words, she is a Canadian PR as long as she is married to the PA.
This post is full of incorrect statements. To everyone who reads this please ignore it.

santhkum90

Oct 17, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
15-09-2017
AOR Received.
15-09-2017
Passport Req..
16-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
25-10-2017
LANDED..........
28-03-2018
This post is full of incorrect statements. To everyone who reads this please ignore it.
Hi DelPiero07, I have deleted the post as you mentioned it as incorrect. I had written what I understood from talking to some of my peers who went through this scenario, but if this is misleading then I apologize for the wrong info.

hambousha

Jan 9, 2015
Hello guyz
Thanks for your answers but it is still a bit vague
Can the main applicant travel earlier than spouse and tell the officer she is not interested in Canada anymore and cancel her ?
Can they get divorced before landing and each one travels alone ?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello guyz
Can the main applicant travel earlier than spouse and tell the officer she is not interested in Canada anymore and cancel her ?
The Principal Applicant needs to notify IRCC that the marriage is over and have her removed from the application. If he doesn't inform IRCC and she lands as a PR when they both know that the marriage is over, they will be committing immigration fraud.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello guyz
1- So the plan of this "main applicant" is not to tell the immigration agent that he is divorced during the landing process and to simply lie by saying she's not accompanying anymore? Also, it seems you ignored what I already stated that the principal applicant must inform IRCC of the change in marital status before doing the landing procedure.
2 - Of course not. If the divorce occurs before landing then the dependent cannot do the landing procedure anymore as she would be removed from the principal applicants application, she would have to apply for PR based on her own merits. If what you mean is that this couple is not going to disclose their divorce and they are simply going to travel separately then I don't have any interest to entertain such question.

Your questions are extremely sketchy to be quite honest.

hambousha

Jan 9, 2015
Do not assume what you do not know
They are getting divorced and I am sking for the lady who is afraid he cancels her immigration process after she got the visa just because he is the main applicant
Here in Middle East the guy can just divorce without even she agrees
So he can divorce and notify the IRCC and thats it ? Her visa on the passport does not mean anything ?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Do not assume what you do not know
They are getting divorced and I am sking for the lady who is afraid he cancels her immigration process after she got the visa just because he is the main applicant
Here in Middle East the guy can just divorce without even she agrees
So he can divorce and notify the IRCC and thats it ? Her visa on the passport does not mean anything ?
He is legally required to remove her from the application.

hambousha

Jan 9, 2015
Thankss
Then lets assume he divorced her here before landing
Informed them
And then she decided to use her valid immigrant visa on passport
Cant she land ?
I thought having a visa is like having a PR and she can still enter and live

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thankss
Then lets assume he divorced her here before landing
Informed them
And then she decided to use her valid immigrant visa on passport
Cant she land ?
I thought having a visa is like having a PR and she can still enter and live
He doesn't even need to divorce her. He just needs to inform IRCC that the marriage is over and they have separated and she will be removed from the application.

If she travels to Canada to land after that, she will be refused and returned to her country.

Being issued a visa/COPR is not like having PR.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
She is not a PR until she finishes the landing procedure. As already stated she will have to apply for PR on her own, she cannot land.

aarunb88

Nov 22, 2017
I have received my copr. I am planning to land in mid-2019.
My wife is non-accompanying in the application and hence has contributed 0 points.

I'm expecting to get the divorce decree before my landing. I plan to inform cic once the divorce is finalised.
Now if we get divorced before i land and I inform CIC, will my application be reopened?
Or will they just issue a new CoPR and visa?

Will this cause in any delay? What would be the best option available to me?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I have received my copr. I am planning to land in mid-2019.
My wife is non-accompanying in the application and hence has contributed 0 points.

I'm expecting to get the divorce decree before my landing. I plan to inform cic once the divorce is finalised.
Now if we get divorced before i land and I inform CIC, will my application be reopened?
Or will they just issue a new CoPR and visa?

Will this cause in any delay? What would be the best option available to me?
If you have already filed for divorce, send proof to IRCC and remove her from the app now.