+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A confusing listening question from collins "listening for Ielts"

lindan

Mar 20, 2019
This is the script of a listening question from Collins listening for Ielts book.

“…applicant who wanted to stay in Britain had to have served the Crown or to have lived in the country for at least five years before being considered.”

this is the question :

What would be the answer to question 2, do you think?
"5 years" or "at least 5 years"

You can write 3 words and/or a number

According to Collins itself the answer is "5 years"

Why "at least 5 years" is wrong?!

I think this is more precise!

Thanks guys

Last edited:

artificial.nocturne

Jan 25, 2018
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
It might be considered right by some examiners. But in the end you need to stick to the facts and putting at least or not putting it will not make any difference to the answer. Hence, when a limit of words is given to answer a question, it is best to stick with as less words as possible. In this scenario it makes no difference, it says the same thing. Moreover, the format of the questions/table makes it so that you don't need to put extra words where not needed. It is like a summary of what's already been said.

Reactions: lindan

lindan

Mar 20, 2019
It might be considered right by some examiners. But in the end you need to stick to the facts and putting at least or not putting it will not make any difference to the answer. Hence, when a limit of words is given to answer a question, it is best to stick with as less words as possible. In this scenario it makes no difference, it says the same thing. Moreover, the format of the questions/table makes it so that you don't need to put extra words where not needed. It is like a summary of what's already been said.

You mean both answer will consider correct in itelts?

If I wrote "at least 5 years" , it was correct...am I right?

artificial.nocturne

Jan 25, 2018
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
You mean both answer will consider correct in itelts?

If I wrote "at least 5 years" , it was correct...am I right?
Yes it might be considered correct by some examiners, since it conveys the same thing. But in the end you need to act smart and not leave any room for mistakes. Btw, these kind of coincidences don't happen very often in IELTS questions, usually the limit of words given to you will make it black and white for you. But at the same time sometimes it might not be so clear, in these scenarios you need to use your brain or perhaps go with your gut feeling. The rule is simple in these kind of scenarios, if it conveys the same thing/idea in two words then there is no need to use four words.

hitesh0414

Apr 17, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10 December, 2016
AOR Received.
10 December, 2016
Med's Done....
26 November,2016
Passport Req..
10-03-2017
This is the script of a listening question from Collins listening for Ielts book.

“…applicant who wanted to stay in Britain had to have served the Crown or to have lived in the country for at least five years before being considered.”

this is the question :

What would be the answer to question 2, do you think?
"5 years" or "at least 5 years"

You can write 3 words and/or a number

According to Collins itself the answer is "5 years"

Why "at least 5 years" is wrong?!

I think this is more precise!

Thanks guys
It clearly says answer should have no more than 3 words. So “at least 5 years” would be wrong ( because it is four word answer), either write 5 years or “atleast 5 years” (preferred) ... at least (wrong as per English language) are two words whereas atleast (correct as per English language) is one word.

artificial.nocturne

Jan 25, 2018
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
It clearly says answer should have no more than 3 words. So “at least 5 years” would be wrong ( because it is four word answer), either write 5 years or “atleast 5 years” (preferred) ... at least (wrong as per English language) are two words whereas atleast (correct as per English language) is one word.
'Atleast' is wrong. The right way to write is 'at least' just like we say 'at the very least'. 'At' and 'least' are two separate words.

Secondly, the question clearly instructs 'Write three words AND/OR a number". Key word here being 'and'. Hence if we write 'at least 5 years', it still fulfills the word limit requirement as they are 'three words AND a number".

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
"5 years" would be correct, based on the context of the question. Any time beyond the 5 year period is irrelevant, as the basic eligibility is 5 years.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013

lindan

Mar 20, 2019
"for at least 5 years" means 5 ,6 , 7 , 8 years and so on but "5 years" means just 5 years and not 6 or greater .... it is not precise in my book!

If I wrote 5 years , the examiner may say " you have to be precise and write the exact information!"

"5 years" would be correct, based on the context of the question. Any time beyond the 5 year period is irrelevant, as the basic eligibility is 5 years.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
"for at least 5 years" means 5 ,6 , 7 , 8 years and so on but "5 years" means just 5 years and not 6 or greater .... it is not precise in my book!

If I wrote 5 years , the examiner may say " you have to be precise and write the exact information!"
That's not entirely the way that English works.. In many respects, it's an imprecise language. One of it's many charming features.