+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A british citizen visiting his canadian dad in canada? Am i allowed ( exempted ) to travel to canada?

gentlesoul78

Jun 16, 2020
Hi folks in the house, I am a british citizen and my dad is Canadian and he is old ( 77 years old )and i would like to visit him as soon as possible.
1) What are the required documents needed to travel to visit him if i am exempted from Covid 19 travel restrictions?
2)Do i have to inform the IRCC by mail to get a written authorisation and submit the required documents or i don't have to inform them?
3) Do i have to take with me the required documents to Canada to show CBSA
4) My dad last name is different from mine though i have proof of change of name......hope that's not a problem

I would be very grateful if folks in the house can respond to my above questions as soon as possible. Thank you very much

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi folks in the house, I am a british citizen and my dad is Canadian and he is old ( 77 years old )and i would like to visit him as soon as possible.
1) What are the required documents needed to travel to visit him if i am exempted from Covid 19 travel restrictions?
2)Do i have to inform the IRCC by mail to get a written authorisation and submit the required documents or i don't have to inform them?
3) Do i have to take with me the required documents to Canada to show CBSA
4) My dad last name is different from mine though i have proof of change of name......hope that's not a problem

I would be very grateful if folks in the house can respond to my above questions as soon as possible. Thank you very much
1) eTA. However you unfortunately don't fall under the exemption. You can find information about who falls under the exemption here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors/immediate-family.html

You'll need to wait until the travel ban has been lifted / relaxed before you'll be able to travel or alternatively obtain a letter of permission to travel from IRCC.

gentlesoul78

Jun 16, 2020
i have ETA already and i have been to Canada in 2018. I am an immediate family member of a Canadian Citizen ( Parent.... father and son ) so your answer is quite unclear so to why i don't fall uder the exemption

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
i have ETA already and i have been to Canada in 2018. I am an immediate family member of a Canadian Citizen ( Parent.... father and son ) so your answer is quite unclear so to why i don't fall uder the exemption
Did you bother to look at the link I gave you? The following are classified as immediate family for the purposes of the exemption. You do not fall under the immediate family definition for the purposes of the exemption.

Who is an immediate family member
An immediate family member is defined as a

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
but parent is mentioned so my dad is my parent
The list is the exemption list for the person wanting to travel (not the Canadian). Meaning the relationship of the person who wants to travel to the Canadian they want to come and visit.

Adult children are not on the exemption list.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
i already checked it few weeksago but parent is mentioned so my dad is my parent
Your father is already Canadian and isn't the person who wants to travel. You are the person who wants to travel. You are not his parent, you are his adult child. Adult children are not on the exemption list.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
So do you know whether the example you quote whether the Australian lady obtained a specific exemption from IRCC as very easy for someone to say on social media they did this and that but circumstances may have been unique to that person.

Its not only CBSA you have to convince at the border but also the airline at checkin that you are exempt from the travel restrictions which according above post you are not given assume you are not a dependant child, under 22. Neither are you the parent of a PR or citizen.

Maybe anyway plan to seek special dispensation from IRCC that your travel is essential and will as a visitor be for a minimum 15 days, 14 of which would in quarantine probably separate from your father who at 77 would be in the vulnerable category.

Alternatively you can ignore everything stated here as this is only a forum and try your luck both with the airline and CBSA ensuring you have solid proof of relationship to a citizen and a solid isolation plan. Who knows you may slip through the net so is your decision but ensure you both check with airline upfront and have a refundable ticket

And dont forget the 14 day quaratine on the return to the UK so whilst COVID is around a potential 28 days quarantine Canada/UK

Last edited:

mashulia_26

Apr 6, 2018
You can't travel since you're not an immediate family member.

gentlesoul78

Jun 16, 2020
Hi folks, I would like to know if i can now travel to Canada as an immediate/extended family member. I am a Uk citizen ( Adult )and my parent and siblings are Canadians. I have ETA already. Am i now exempted to border restrictions as per the october 8th latest news? Your response is highly appreciated.
Can my dad or any of my siblings invite me?