+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

8 months drop

Jan 11, 2021
I arrived in canada for winter 2021 intake and i want to switch to another program in the same college but the program i want to take only starts in September So there will be 8 months drop in between. I also mailed college for the same but did not get any reply. Please tell if it is possible to take 8 months drop. Will it have effect on my PGWP.
Thankyou.

Last edited:

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
What will you be doing in Canada for 8 months if you are not attending school? You can't legally work on a SP if not enrolled in a full time study.

Apate492

Star Member
Nov 11, 2019
I thought about it but due to Covid-19 it is very difficult to move back and forth. My family is ready to support me financially in these 8 months.
You should pay attention to the criterias to get PGWP. If you’re taking a break, (legit break) should you turn your study permit into visitor visa, if this is not done, you would not get your PGWP. If by chance, they are little empathetic during the pandemic, they MIGHT approve it, but you don’t want to take that chance. Meet a good lawyer and I would suggest you to change your status to visitor, if you may.

Reactions: Karan_Dhillon99
Jan 11, 2021
You should pay attention to the criterias to get PGWP. If you’re taking a break, (legit break) should you turn your study permit into visitor visa, if this is not done, you would not get your PGWP. If by chance, they are little empathetic during the pandemic, they MIGHT approve it, but you don’t want to take that chance. Meet a good lawyer and I would suggest you to change your status to visitor, if you may.
Thanks for help dude.

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
I arrived in canada for winter 2021 intake and i want to switch to another program in the same college but the program i want to take only starts in September So there will be 8 months drop in between. I also mailed college for the same but did not get any reply. Please tell if it is possible to take 8 months drop. Will it have effect on my PGWP.
Thankyou.
Your study permit conditions
As a study permit holder, there are a number of conditions you need to meet. If you don’t meet these conditions, you may lose your student status and study permit. You may also have to leave Canada.

As a study permit holder, you must:

• be enrolled at a designated learning institution (DLI)
  • show you’re actively pursuing your studies by:
    • being enrolled full-time or part-time during each academic semester (excluding regularly scheduled breaks)
    • making progress towards completing your program’s courses, and
    • not taking authorized leaves longer than 150 days from your study program
  • tell us any time you change post-secondary schools
  • end your studies if you no longer meet the requirements of being a student, and
  • leave Canada when your permit expires
Since the gap is more than 150 days, you risk of losing your study permit.
My question is, why did you arrive in Canada if you didn't want to study this winter?

Jan 11, 2021
Your study permit conditions
As a study permit holder, there are a number of conditions you need to meet. If you don’t meet these conditions, you may lose your student status and study permit. You may also have to leave Canada.

As a study permit holder, you must:

• be enrolled at a designated learning institution (DLI)
  • show you’re actively pursuing your studies by:
    • being enrolled full-time or part-time during each academic semester (excluding regularly scheduled breaks)
    • making progress towards completing your program’s courses, and
    • not taking authorized leaves longer than 150 days from your study program
  • tell us any time you change post-secondary schools
  • end your studies if you no longer meet the requirements of being a student, and
  • leave Canada when your permit expires
Since the gap is more than 150 days, you risk of losing your study permit.
My question is, why did you arrive in Canada if you didn't want to study this winter?
Since i already arrived in Canada one of my relative living in Canada is telling me to take another course which is a comes under skilled category having good job opportunities in Canada So, unfortunately that course only starts in September so i am confused what should i do now.

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
Unfortunately you will not be under a valid study permit. The maximum leave or gap is 150 days only.
You need to leave, re-apply or change to visitor and re-apply later.

Another way would be, you can enrol part time in this semester till April, May,June, July, Aug wait for your new program.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
You won't lose your study permit, assuming you already have admission to the new program it is fine on study permit side, you're not taking a break you are waiting for program to start. As for PGWP if this gap will show up in your transcript for the next course it could be a problem if you are starting new completely then you should be fine.

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
You won't lose your study permit, assuming you already have admission to the new program it is fine on study permit side, you're not taking a break you are waiting for program to start. As for PGWP if this gap will show up in your transcript for the next course it could be a problem if you are starting new completely then you should be fine.

If the gap is more than 150 days? Read below, I know this is from a university's website, but they do follow IRCC.

About gaps in studies
You may need time away from studies, whether it be for health reasons, a family emergency, or because you are in-between programs.
As an international student, you have special things to think about when taking a gap. You must ‘actively pursue studies’ in order to:
  1. Remain in Canada and maintain your study permit
  2. Work during studies
  3. Maintain eligibility for the Post-Graduation Work Permit
Good news: In some situations, you can take a gap in studies and still be considered ‘actively pursuing studies’.
After your gap, you can resume studies on your current study permit if it is still valid.
Types of gaps
The length and the reason for your gap in studies will have an impact on whether or not you are considered to be actively pursuing studies during your gap.

Gaps considered actively pursuing studies if 150 days or less:
  • Strike or school closure
  • Deferring program start date after arrival in Canada
  • Switching programs at UBC (whether you completed a program or not)
  • Changing institutions (whether you completed a program or not)
  • UBC-approved leaves of absences (e.g. most graduate students, the Diploma in Accounting or Law)
  • Undergraduate students on a scheduled break in the summer session
Gaps which are not considered actively pursuing studies:
  • Gaps beyond 150 days due to a strike or school closure
  • Gaps beyond 150 days when deferring program start date after arrival in Canada
  • Gaps beyond 150 days when switching programs at UBC (whether you completed a program or not)
  • Gaps beyond 150 days when changing institutions (whether you completed a program or not)
  • Gaps beyond 150 days for a UBC-approved leaves of absences (e.g. most graduate students, the Diploma in Accounting or Law)
  • Any other gap not on the approved list above

https://students.ubc.ca/international-student-guide/immigration/taking-time-away-school-international

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Wrong