+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

7 years of suffering for waiting for my citizenship; can someone help me please

luckychai

Sep 26, 2016
I found this site by searching and I registered in order to post my concern.

Here is my timeline

1. We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on November 12, 2009.
2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on November 12, 2009.

3. We started processing your application on November 2, 2010.

4. Your file was transferred to the Moncton office on November 18, 2010. The Moncton office will contact you if additional information is required. The Moncton office will contact you regarding your citizenship test once all the necessary checks on your file are complete.

5. We sent you a citizenship certificate on November 18, 2010. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

6. We sent you a notice on March 3, 2011 to appear and write the citizenship test on March 17, 2011 at 9:00 AM. The notice you will receive by mail will be your official confirmation of your appointment. If you have not received this notice prior to the date of your scheduled appointment, please contact us.

7. We sent you a notice on March 3, 2011 to attend an identification appointment to have your documents and identity verified on March 17, 2011 at 9:00 AM. The notice you will receive will be your official confirmation of your appointment. If you have not received this notice prior to the date of your scheduled appointment, please contact us

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After the citizenship test on March 17, 2011, I had an interview with the lady official; and she gave me RQ. She told me to submit all the supporting documents in two weeks; and I did.

Since then; 5 years already and 7 years in total after I submit my application. They had never contacted me.

I started to get very concerned after 4 years has passed. I began to call the CIC in 2013, they told me in process. I asked my MP at that time to call on my behalf several times; and the CIC told them that it was under security background check.

I thought well at least I am a permanent resident and I have patience. I called CIC again in around May 2015 constantly because it was like 6 years of waiting. They told me like 2 years before that it was “in process”.

I ordered the ATIP around September 2015; and I got it a month later. It stated like waiting for security clearance. I passed the test, I passed RCMP clearance. No prohibitions.

Well, I thought my background security clearance would end soon. But, it was not the case. I had a new MP from the liberal party after they won the election. I contacted them like the end of last year. They contacted CIC on my behalf and I got the same answer that it was under security background check.

I wrote a letter to Minister, to my local citizenship office St. clair, Scarborough, and it was no avail. They never answered me. I wrote the letter to all of them again in May this year, and I had never heard anything from anyone. My MP told me that there’s nothing they could do to help me anymore.

I have been struggling in the past 2 years because of this matter. I ordered the ATIP again last month and I got it like yesterday. It stated that it was ongoing IMM (immigration clearance). I saw that they updated my RCMP clearance and it said passed. I also saw the criminal check that also stated passed.

Well, I don’t know what to do anymore. I have done, I have tried and I have put all my effort into that. But, I guess my best wasn’t good enough. The CIC told me that I cannot do anything anymore; and the immigration officials don’t ask anything from me. I and my MP asked the CIC before if they need anything or any documents from me and they said “NO”.

I originally came from Thailand and I know deep in my heart that I have never get involved in any kind of politics. And Thailand is not the list of the country of terrorist. Therefore, I don’t understand why it is taking them so long to finish the background clearance.

Can someone give me advice please?

luckychai

Sep 26, 2016
My background,

I first came to Canada in March 2005 on temporary visa. I became a permanent resident in October 2007 through family class (I had a Canadian common law partner at that time). I was with him since day 1 I arrived until 2010. We were together for 5 years; 2 and a half year after I became a permanent resident.

Since the first day I came to Canada until I applied for my citizenship; I absent from the country only 8 days. I only went to America with my ex-common law partner for 8 days in February 2009; and I declared it. So I was in the country like 4 years and 8 months before I submitted the application.

God Knows; I have been through such mental anguish for waiting and waiting without knowing when the result will come. Someone told me that the CIC has unlimited power to prolong the application. They don’t have to tell me every detail regarding what’s going on with my application.

I know that I have been treated unfairly by the CIC; but I can’t do anything to get my justice until I read about this story.

immigration-discussion-board/use-of-mandamus-t35955.0.html

I recently heard about Mandamus and I heard one person had similar situation regarding security background check; and he finally got what he wanted through Mandamus in 2010

It was quite long ago, I am wondering what about using Mandamus now?

This is very painful moment for me and I don’t have unlimited patience. I think it’s time for me to stand up and fight to get my justice.

Can anyone tell me the best Mandamus Lawyer that I can get one right away. I don’t have much money because I am on ODSP. But, if it will help me, I guess I will have to do it.

Reactions: ChippyBoy

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Mandamus definitely makes sense in your case. Unfortunately I don't have a lawyer to recommend - but hopefully someone else does.

Good luck.

tds69us

Nov 22, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
Mandamus definitely makes sense in your case. Unfortunately I don't have a lawyer to recommend - but hopefully someone else does.

Good luck.
you need to file for mandamus my friend...CIC is a disgrace

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
There is nothing you can do except take them to court and it is well past time for that in your case. Where are you? The GTA or the Atlantic provinces?

Homer2013

Oct 15, 2013
I wonder if any knowledgeable person can comment on the fact they did send a Citizenship Certificate. Did you receive the Certificate?

luckychai

Sep 26, 2016
links18 said:
There is nothing you can do except take them to court and it is well past time for that in your case. Where are you? The GTA or the Atlantic provinces?

I am in toronto

Homer2013 said:
I wonder if any knowledgeable person can comment on the fact they did send a Citizenship Certificate. Did you receive the Certificate?

Yes, I have been wondering that as well, but I had never received a citizenship certificate because I wasn't in the country at that time.

Well, the most important thing for me now to get a good mandamus lawyer, let's focus on this matter

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
If you are in the GTA, you have access to the best lawyers for mandamus, but it wont be cheap. You need to do some googling and call around to get a sense of who can do a good job for a price you can afford. Keep in mind though, that if IRCC blames the hold up on CSIS that can complicate things.....

luckychai

Sep 26, 2016
links18 said:
If you are in the GTA, you have access to the best lawyers for mandamus, but it wont be cheap. You need to do some googling and call around to get a sense of who can do a good job for a price you can afford. Keep in mind though, that if IRCC blames the hold up on CSIS that can complicate things.....

Yes, I will do that but if anyone can recommend a good mandamus lawyer from their own experience, it will be great as well.

About the CSIS part, that was the IRCC has been telling me that it's out of their hands, the CSIS is holding my application.

However, I read from this thread and this is the main point

Quote "Note that in many cases, immigration had claimed that the delay is not their fault because they did their part in a timely manner and it was CSIS that caused the delay. But interestingly, many judges didn't accept that excuse and ruled that the applicant is a client of CIC and not CSIS and it's the duty of CIC to give them a response one way or another and dealing with CSIS is CIC's issue, not that of the client."

I am not allowed to post link, so you have to google this thread
canada-immigration-discussion-board/use-of-mandamus-t35955.0.html

luckychai

Sep 26, 2016
Homer2013 said:
Lucky. Check your inbox. Google their reviews and take them into account in your consideration.
Thank you.

If anyone had used mandamus lawyer for citizenship case before, and would like to recommend me to use one, please send the name and contacted number through private message. Maybe, you can tell me a bit about your experience with mandamus.

Thanks in advance

HighFive

Mar 13, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
luckychai said:
Thank you.

If anyone had used mandamus lawyer for citizenship case before, and would like to recommend me to use one, please send the name and contacted number through private message. Maybe, you can tell me a bit about your experience with mandamus.

Thanks in advance
Contact ambient2. He does have a recent experience.

luckychai

Sep 26, 2016
Finally, I am a Canadian. After having been waiting for over seven and a half years.

I would like to pass my thanks to Homer 2013 and specially to ambient2 who referred me lawyers. I took the ambient2's referral. I have to thank to my lawyer whom filing mandamus on my behalf. Without her help, I wouldn't be able to obtain my citizenship a couple of days ago.

Thank you life, thank you love and thank to my Buddha.

luckychai

Sep 26, 2016
I really recommend mandamus to everyone who has been waiting for too long. I was such an idiot to wait for seven years then filing mandamus. I could, I should have filed after 4-5 years had passed since I submitted the application.

Anyway, I believe sometimes fate has its own way to bring you the answer eventually. ;)

Bargeld

Sep 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
Finally, I am a Canadian. After having been waiting for over seven and a half years.

I would like to pass my thanks to Homer 2013 and specially to ambient2 who referred me lawyers. I took the ambient2's referral. I have to thank to my lawyer whom filing mandamus on my behalf. Without her help, I wouldn't be able to obtain my citizenship a couple of days ago.

Thank you life, thank you love and thank to my Buddha.
Congratulations! I'm glad to see things worked out in the end.