+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

7 months gap in sojourn

2pac

Aug 7, 2017
Good afternoon all,
I am a newbie on the forum.
First of all I would like to apologize for some mistakes I could do in my text; my mother tongue is French.
This is my problem:
I actually live in South Korea with my wife and we've already received our ITA this month.
Previously I was a student in China, I've studied master degree in engineering in city A (from September 2013 to December 2015) and Chinese language in city B (from January 2016 to November 2016), then I've left from city B to South Korea . So I've applied for police certificate from both cities A and B in China. The pcc (notarized certificate) I got from the city B is ok regarding the dates of sojourn (from 6th January 2016 to January 2017) and all the rest; but the pcc I got from the city A, mention the dates of sojourn from September 2013 to June 2015. So there are almost 7 months of gap from June 2015 to January 2016 (when I've moved to city B).
My student residence permit in city A run until January 31, as I've defended my thesis on november and graduated on December 2015. My friend who applied on my behalf for the pcc tried to explain the situation to the police officer but he has been pushed out of the police station. By the way June 2015 is the date I've applied for my last visa extension (till January 2016) in city A, due to some thesis defense postponement. And to apply for a visa extension one of the documents to provide are the student's address and documents proving the student's status. My certificate of graduation mention clearly that I've graduated on December and my thesis mention that I've defended on November.
My question is: how to explain this 7 months gap ? Should I write a LOE with my certificate of graduation, residence permit running till January 2016, a scan of my thesis mentioning the date of the defense, and my flight ticket stating the date I've moved from city A to city B ( January 6th) plus the residence registration i did at the police station when I'm arrived (January 6th) in attachment?
One more thing, the pcc issued in city A state that "Mr xxx in our area, under the jurisdiction of xxx university has no criminal record ". I would like to know if this format is acceptable by cic (local police office said that's the format for students), because the city name is just mentioned on the police seal.
Thanks a lot and sorry to be so long. Almost one month I can't sleep well because of this issue.
PS: my motherland pcc is ok

Houzi

Star Member
Jun 6, 2017
Hi! Is problematic A city PCC also a notarial certificate? Its not very clear, since you say your friend was pushed out from police station, not s public notary office.

2pac

Aug 7, 2017
Hi Houzi
In fact there are two steps to get the pcc in the city A
First, go to the police station to get it
Then go to the public notary office to make a notarized translation.
He has been pushed out from the police station when he asked them to modify the dates on the pcc, according to my residence permit

Houzi

Star Member
Jun 6, 2017
Hi! I see now. I guess its not exactly a notarized translation, but a police certificate itself. The one I got is a notary certificate in Ch and Eng, and its issued based on some paper from police. No police paper attached. Strange, but true. Im sorry they give you trouble there. I suggest you to try again, since you were on student visa. And this visa is issued a PCC in China, unlike business or tourist visa. So try again, maybe ask chinese friend, if not yet. You can also try getting a good conduct certificate from your school (未受刑事处分证明 or something like that). You can try taking it to police to prove your timing. Or, probably even try taking it to notary. Since this doc should be saying you dont have record etc. Agents usually can arrange a PCC with that. If your school cannot provide it, ask for a study certificate 学习证明。 It will state your study period, and should help with getting correct doc. May I ask which city PCC do you have a problem with?

2pac

Aug 7, 2017
Thanks a lot @Houzi .
The city is haikou in Hainan province.
In fact I've studied there from September 2013 to December 2015 but my pcc just mentions from September 2013 to June 2015. My thesis mentions that I've defended on November and my certificate of graduation mentions that I've graduated on December. As well, my residence permit expires on January 2016 for the same city. I wonder.

2pac

Aug 7, 2017
June 2015 they mentioned on the pcc is the date I've extended my last residence permit in that city until January 2016

2pac

Aug 7, 2017
I get the study certificate stating that I've been studying till my visa expiration (January 2016) but the police officer doesn't want to change the dates and my friend is afraid to be in troubles.

Houzi

Star Member
Jun 6, 2017
Hi! Its a terrible incompetence, they have no idea what they are doing there. It must be not too many foreign students in Haikou, or at least it was when I lived in China. I can imagine very clearly how it went at police station. The best way to solve this is to handle it in soft way. Is friend helping you Chinese? If not, seek a Chinese friend help. Its unfortunate and not fair, but me being female and talking pretty nice usually solved my problems there well.
I urge you to not give up and get a full PCC. Since you were a student, you are eligible for PCC in China, and CIC will require it from you in full. Ask you friend to visit notary and confirm if they can issue a PCC certificate basing on 未受刑事处分证明 from your school. If yes, try getting this document from school.
Last solution is to use an agent. Its expensive, but its a way to go. I finished my studies in 2004. I didn't keep my study permit copy, and even lost old passport from this time. Lol. I did 1 year language school and 4 years bachelor with diploma. 4 years diploma was enough to get a PCC. But language school with same uni didnt issue anything. I got a study certificate for 5 years in the end, and just with that (no other docs from that time left, except bachelor diploma) I got a full PCC for 5 years via agent. I'm not in China, so it was my only option. These guys have their ways. Don't give up!

dannyhcean

Star Member
Feb 23, 2016
Good afternoon all,
I am a newbie on the forum.
First of all I would like to apologize for some mistakes I could do in my text; my mother tongue is French.
This is my problem:
I actually live in South Korea with my wife and we've already received our ITA this month.
Previously I was a student in China, I've studied master degree in engineering in city A (from September 2013 to December 2015) and Chinese language in city B (from January 2016 to November 2016), then I've left from city B to South Korea . So I've applied for police certificate from both cities A and B in China. The pcc (notarized certificate) I got from the city B is ok regarding the dates of sojourn (from 6th January 2016 to January 2017) and all the rest; but the pcc I got from the city A, mention the dates of sojourn from September 2013 to June 2015. So there are almost 7 months of gap from June 2015 to January 2016 (when I've moved to city B).
My student residence permit in city A run until January 31, as I've defended my thesis on november and graduated on December 2015. My friend who applied on my behalf for the pcc tried to explain the situation to the police officer but he has been pushed out of the police station. By the way June 2015 is the date I've applied for my last visa extension (till January 2016) in city A, due to some thesis defense postponement. And to apply for a visa extension one of the documents to provide are the student's address and documents proving the student's status. My certificate of graduation mention clearly that I've graduated on December and my thesis mention that I've defended on November.
My question is: how to explain this 7 months gap ? Should I write a LOE with my certificate of graduation, residence permit running till January 2016, a scan of my thesis mentioning the date of the defense, and my flight ticket stating the date I've moved from city A to city B ( January 6th) plus the residence registration i did at the police station when I'm arrived (January 6th) in attachment?
One more thing, the pcc issued in city A state that "Mr xxx in our area, under the jurisdiction of xxx university has no criminal record ". I would like to know if this format is acceptable by cic (local police office said that's the format for students), because the city name is just mentioned on the police seal.
Thanks a lot and sorry to be so long. Almost one month I can't sleep well because of this issue.
PS: my motherland pcc is ok
What was the reason that the local police station decided not to include June15 to Jan 16 in your PCC from city A? It seems you were clearly a legitimate student living in that city during that specific period of time.

2pac

Aug 7, 2017
Hi! Its a terrible incompetence, they have no idea what they are doing there. It must be not too many foreign students in Haikou, or at least it was when I lived in China. I can imagine very clearly how it went at police station. The best way to solve this is to handle it in soft way. Is friend helping you Chinese? If not, seek a Chinese friend help. Its unfortunate and not fair, but me being female and talking pretty nice usually solved my problems there well.
I urge you to not give up and get a full PCC. Since you were a student, you are eligible for PCC in China, and CIC will require it from you in full. Ask you friend to visit notary and confirm if they can issue a PCC certificate basing on 未受刑事处分证明 from your school. If yes, try getting this document from school.
Last solution is to use an agent. Its expensive, but its a way to go. I finished my studies in 2004. I didn't keep my study permit copy, and even lost old passport from this time. Lol. I did 1 year language school and 4 years bachelor with diploma. 4 years diploma was enough to get a PCC. But language school with same uni didnt issue anything. I got a study certificate for 5 years in the end, and just with that (no other docs from that time left, except bachelor diploma) I got a full PCC for 5 years via agent. I'm not in China, so it was my only option. These guys have their ways. Don't give up!
Thanks a lot @Houzi. It's so nice to care about my problem . I will definitely not give up.

2pac

Aug 7, 2017
What was the reason that the local police station decided not to include June15 to Jan 16 in your PCC from city A? It seems you were clearly a legitimate student living in that city during that specific period of time.
I really don't know why.