+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

6 Months Visitor Visa for Parents

OCT2014

Oct 20, 2014
Hi There,

I have PR and i would like to invite my parents for 6 months in Canada. Is it ok if i mention 6 months duration in regular visitor visa forms? Is there any chances to get reject?

They are not working now. I can attach return tickets. Is any other information do i have to attach to their application?

Please help,

Thank You

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment as well but not advisable to apply upfront for 6 months but maybe just 2-3 weeks as that would have a bigger chance of approval for a genuine visitor. Even more critical if not working currently in terms of them funding a 6 month trip plus of course being able to show ties to return to home country . Asking for 6 months upfront not being employed weakens that case.

CBSA will determine length of stay on arrival so if no date entered in passport then default will be 6 months regardless of the time requested in the visa application.

Not advisable to purchase tickets before visas are approved.

Reactions: 2b.or.not.2b

OCT2014

Oct 20, 2014
Thanks for your reply

If i filled it for 3 weeks in the forms,can they tell in the port of entry that they want to stay for 6 months.

My parents are not working now and both their daughters and their family are in Canada as PR. They cant show any home ties in India.They have land and house in their names.What document do they have to attach for land and housse?

Ayam93

Star Member
May 28, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your parents need to show some strong home ties, else if they do not mention anything about home ties they risk a refusal.

Attach (english translated version) the property documents. In my case i attached my mothers farm land documents.

Do your parents receive pension or are they part of any welfare community, etc ? If yes do mention same.

Do they have some home loan, car loan etc ?

Do not purchase flight tickets before getting visa approval.

I applied my mothers visitor visa few months back and it got approved. I attached below documents also:
1. Day to day itinerary; just create three columns in Excel; Date, Plan and Expense. for each day or for a range of few days, fill the columns and corresponding expense. It can be like - Day 1 - arriving in Canada and taking rest at home. Day 2 - going to shoping with family, expense - CAD 400, etc etc

Have a rough expense for each column and then the total. Your parents need to have min this amount of money in there account.

2. Have as many documents related to home ties as possible,

3. Be very specific about the Purpose of Visit. In my case, i only mentioned that my mother wants to come to Canada to meet her family and some sight seeing with exact site name like CN Tower.

4. In my case i also bought a travel insurance for my mother and attached same in application stating that her travel insurance would cover any emergency expenses.

Also 6 months is a very long time for a visitor visa, it shows that your parents have very weak ties to home country. You need to plan for say a months visa, have a very specific purpose of visit, have a travel plan and attach same.