+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

6 month visit coming to an end. When can my American boyfriend return?

gillxley

Mar 19, 2013
Hi,
My boyfriend has been here in Canada since June 19th, and he plans to return to America before 180 days passes, around Dec 10th. I have been on countless websites, forums, and talked to several people who all give me different answers. My question is; when can he return to Canada?
-After 1 day?
-After 70 hours?
-After a full 6 months out of country passes?
-Never?

I have also been told to look into extending his visitor visa. Any advice wise and helpful people?

Thank you!!!

gillxley

Mar 19, 2013
I don't seem to be getting a response from anyone about this question. So let's try another one.

If I apply for his extended visitor visa, and I don't have a response back from the gov't by the time his 6 month stay has passed, will this cause issues? or is he considered to have 'implied status' until we do get a response if he can stay or not?

Am I reading everything correctly on the websites? on cic.gc.ca the result was that he is eligible to extend his stay.

Please help! I am running out of time.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
gillxley said:
I don't seem to be getting a response from anyone about this question. So let's try another one.

If I apply for his extended visitor visa, and I don't have a response back from the gov't by the time his 6 month stay has passed, will this cause issues? or is he considered to have 'implied status' until we do get a response if he can stay or not?

Am I reading everything correctly on the websites? on cic.gc.ca the result was that he is eligible to extend his stay.

Please help! I am running out of time.
He'll have implied status until you receive a decision on the extension request.

gillxley

Mar 19, 2013
His passport wasn't stamped when he landed on this last visit. He arrived June 20th. Is this going to be an issue, or will this have been recorded and logged somewhere?

toronto30

May 14, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Parents
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/2009
Doc's Request.
03/2013
File Transfer...
07/30/2013
Med's Request
04 MAR 2015
Med's Done....
May 7, 2015
Interview........
ECAS: Started processing Feb 12, 2015
Passport Req..
August 5, 2015.
VISA ISSUED...
10 August 2015
LANDED..........
24 August 2015
I am sure it's been recorded in their system, same thing as a Canadian when we cross the border US officials do not stamp on our passports, but I am sure it's been tracked some where. and I believe extention is the best option rather crossing the border and face more questions and difficulties.

Rusalka

Star Member
Dec 4, 2013
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Have you find out the right answer?
I have similar situation. I am from Russia and stays in Canada. Will ask for permanent residence soon, but it s different topic.
My 6 months will be over soon, but when it will be 5,5 months we (my husband and children, they are Canadians) fly to Hawaii for two weeks.
I have multiple-entry visa, so I have right to return to Canada.
BUT...
Will they let me -because 6 months will be almost over?
Or because of trip to Hawaii 6 months will count from beginning?
I heard that in general trip to USA doesn t look like foreign trip for CIC, but isles -is different.
If they anyway continue to count 6 months and trip to USA is not trip abroad for them will they at least exclude the days in USA from 6 months?

gillxley

Mar 19, 2013
We finally got an answer back form the government saying he can be here until March 14th. The extensions was granted from an extra 3 months. With this now approaching, are there any other options I have in order to keeping him here? Is it possible for him to stay? Or does he absolutely have to go back for a certain amount of time?

Please help!

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gillxley said:
We finally got an answer back form the government saying he can be here until March 14th. The extensions was granted from an extra 3 months. With this now approaching, are there any other options I have in order to keeping him here? Is it possible for him to stay? Or does he absolutely have to go back for a certain amount of time?

Please help!
You could ask for another extension. I see from your prior posts that you were planning to get married in March 2013 and sponsor him as your spouse. If you've gotten married and have sponsorship in process, include proof of that application - including payment, proof of receipt and case # if you have it - with your request so they understand the rationale for the extension (people have reported getting 1 year + extensions to allow them to wait out the sponsorship process).

poppyweise

Star Member
Feb 7, 2014
Saskatchewan
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Yeah. You can either marry him and sponsor him to stay permanently in Canada.

I am not sure about whether will they grant another extension after your current extension.

I was unsure of that, that's why my boyfriend (now husband) and I decided to get married after 4 years being together. But also, for the application, you have to convince the immigration that this is a marriage out of genuine love and nothing else.

Regarding to when he can return: This first time I was here in 2012, I extended my stay and left during implied status, and the extension got accepted, eventually I left on 1 June 2013. Then after that I came back on 21 July 2013 and stayed here and apply for extension again for another 3 months, told them I need some time to gather all the necessary documents. So I got extended again. When I came back in July 2013, because I left and came back in such a short time, I was stopped and interviewed briefly by a CBSA officer. After that he let me in, and even told me how to apply for PR. Haha. So it really depends on how the customs officers view your boyfriend.

I know how difficult it is to be apart with someone you love. You just have to make the most suitable choice, and I think you got it. :)

Best of luck!