+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

6 attempts and counting...

Hannan Khan

Star Member
Aug 25, 2010
Okay guys, rant time! I just received a negative EOR on my 6th IELTS attempt.

Date - LRWS

24 Sep 16 - 7.5, 8.5, 6.5, 8.0
10 Nov 18 - 8.5, 8.5, 6.5, 7.5 EOR
05 Jan 19 - 8.5, 7.0, 6.0, 7.0
14 Feb 19 - 8.0, 8.5, 6.5, 7.5
24 Mar 19 - 8.0, 7.0, 6.0, 7.0
02 May 19 - 8.5, 7.5, 6.5, 7.0 EOR

Needless to say, both EORs went futile. I have been posting on this forum for a while and you can see my essays on profile. I have been graded 7 by a number of people and even by Chris Pell @ IELTS Advantage but that was the lone correction I took from him. If you have any advice, please chime in.

slim-shady

Star Member
Feb 23, 2019
Hi Hannan,

I completely understand how you feel. I also had 3 attempts
LRWS

8, 9, 6.5, 7.5 - EOR Unchanged
8, 8.5, 6.5, 7.5 - Awaiting EOR outcome
8.5, 8.5, 7, 7.5

The only major change I made in the last test was that I filled up the task 2 sheet and also wrote my task 2 conclusion on an extra sheet. Seems my word count was low all these while hence the reason I kept getting 6.5 in writing.

In addition, do you try to use different sentence types in your essays? The difference between a 6.5 and a band 7 essay is not much. Also, avoid using model answers like "This essay will discuss...".

I really do wish you the best of luck and I pray you get your desired score very soon.

Do not give up!

Reactions: Hannan Khan

Hannan Khan

Star Member
Aug 25, 2010
Hi Hannan,

I completely understand how you feel. I also had 3 attempts
LRWS

8, 9, 6.5, 7.5 - EOR Unchanged
8, 8.5, 6.5, 7.5 - Awaiting EOR outcome
8.5, 8.5, 7, 7.5

The only major change I made in the last test was that I filled up the task 2 sheet and also wrote my task 2 conclusion on an extra sheet. Seems my word count was low all these while hence the reason I kept getting 6.5 in writing.

In addition, do you try to use different sentence types in your essays? The difference between a 6.5 and a band 7 essay is not much. Also, avoid using model answers like "This essay will discuss...".

I really do wish you the best of luck and I pray you get your desired score very soon.

Do not give up!
Hey bud. Thanks for the advise. Thankfully, I can write all types of sentences so never had an issue there. I never liked the idea of using phrases like 'This essay will discuss...'. It looks like a school level statement to me.

The one thing I didn't do is write above minimum word count. I got a problem/reason essay and wrote 2 problems and their respective reasons. However, in elaborating my points without gibberish I was well exceeding the 300 mark landing at around 320 words. Then came the prompt to delete a couple of sentences to leave the essay at 293 words. But you see the popular advise of 'never writing too much as it would leave room of error' got me here. My essay may have been deemed underdeveloped.

There is no use crying over spilt milk. I will work on all essay types again to give it another shot.

JaaKaaa

Star Member
Feb 20, 2019
I believe that test centers have quotas on how many candidates they can give mark 7+ on writing. Not only that you have to align your essays according to their requirements, but also to be better than at least 90% of other candidates.

In my opinion, examiners firstly mark essays that are clearly below required level, marks 5-6 etc, and from the rest they choose the best ones to give mark 7+.

I am waiting for my 5th results, but with little expectations.

Good luck.

Tingling

Nov 15, 2017

Date - LRWS

Needless to say, both EORs went futile. I have been posting on this forum for a while and you can see my essays on profile. I have been graded 7 by a number of people and even by Chris Pell @ IELTS Advantage but that was the lone correction I took from him. If you have any advice, please chime in.

1. Memorize the sentence-by-sentence structure suggested by Chris Pell on all 5 essay types.
2. Allocate sufficient time to check your spelling at the end of the writing.
3. Is your handwriting clear? If not, maybe take computer based test?
4. If EOR is negative not once but twice, that signals there is some serious problem with your writing. Identify it before registering for another exam please. Help yourself.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
I believe that test centers have quotas on how many candidates they can give mark 7+ on writing. Not only that you have to align your essays according to their requirements, but also to be better than at least 90% of other candidates.

In my opinion, examiners firstly mark essays that are clearly below required level, marks 5-6 etc, and from the rest they choose the best ones to give mark 7+.

Good luck.
Yeah, this is just random speculation that has no truth to it.

Catpaws14

Star Member
Sep 3, 2017
Are you taking these exams in the same country? And is it idp or british council everytime? It's disappointing to get the same results each time. Although their writing task aren't very difficult subjects, they give the lowest score on writing to everyone. What is a band 9 in writing anyway? This test is a joke.

Hannan Khan

Star Member
Aug 25, 2010

Good luck.
Hopefully, you will make it this time.

Ednut90

Apr 28, 2019
I wrote 7 times. Has 6.5 six times. My issue was diagnosed by an ielts ex examiner i paid. Find your issue. Mine was punctuation, spelling , grammar( concord SVA)

sehgaljps

May 22, 2019

Date - LRWS

It took me 8 attempts to go from 6.5 to 7.0 in writing.

One piece of advice: Take help from professional to get your IELTS writing evaluated
In my case, I took help from Joshh trump (joshh.trump@gmail.com)
He charges small fees but provides comprehensive feedback. At the end, booking IELTS, again and again, is a costly affair. Take help!

wumi kaz

Nov 28, 2017
NOC Code......

Date - LRWS

Hello... so sorry about how u feel. Have written same exam 6times in the past but only made the desired score in my last attempt which happens to be the 7th. I ordinarily would have thought something was fishy, perhaps from the side of the examiners cos have had 7.5 and 7 in writing in past exams where other bands were the problem then. However, after buidling my other bands to about a minimum of 8 in each, writing became a problem. that naturally looks suspiscious cos have had 7.5 in d past without practice. Have had 6.5 twice in writing this year alone. Applied for EOR once yet, result came back unchanged. The only thing i did differently was to watch E2 video by Jay for just one week. The previous result was released on 25th of May, i watched d videos for say 5 days and sat for another exam exactly 1week after which was 1st of June. Results came out with 7 in writing. If you are stucked at 6.5 in writing only quite little effort is required to scale through. First is believing and agreeing that the fault is from you and second is blaming it on your proficiency in other bands so you dont start doubting yourself. I realized i was subconsciously swayed by the preparation in other bands without paying the required attention to my writing. Also check the grading criteria for the writing section to see how much you need to earn your desired score. All i can assure you is that its achievable.
All the best.

mau123

Nov 16, 2018
My 1st try was 6.5 in writing, second after a month 8. I did study for it, BUT I put purpose of taking the test as employment and didn't mention the country. Not sure if this helps, but maybe it did in my case. I can also share my IELTS success tips..

My 2nd take score was:

Listening - 8.5
Reading - 8.5
Writing - 8
Speaking - 8

spirit.varun

Star Member
Nov 27, 2018

Good luck.

Not true, if you feel this way, you could open an inquiry with BC.