+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

~5 Years Abroad. Recently returned. Questions abound

yamadori

Aug 14, 2017
Hello everyone.

I would like to ask you for your guidance with regards to my situation.

My details are as follows:
  • First arrived in Canada in June 2012, got my PR a few weeks after.
  • I applied for OHIP/DL/SIN. Back then, my parents and I lived in Kitchener. (Mother is Filipina, who is now a dual PH/CAN citizen— step-father is Canadian)
  • Departed from Canada Nov 2012
  • From Nov 2012 - July 3 2017, I have not set foot in Canada.
  • Upon my return last July, I was not flagged by an immigration officer at the airport.
  • PR Card Expired last August 2.
With that being said, I have returned to Canada with the intention of renewing my PR status, working and studying here, as well as eventually getting my citizenship. After going through different posts which are similar in nature, my understanding is that the best course of action for me now would be to stay in Canada for 2 years straight before processing my PR renewal. I have also seen that some people have done this, although their applications were still considered for secondary evaluation.

Am I right in assuming that being away from Canada for a period of about ~5 years is sufficient cause for secondary evaluation? Will the 2 year stay negate that blatant breach of RO? Are my chances of renewal slim?

Also, my parents moved to Toronto, which is where I now stay as well. I have not updated my address. Will doing so at ServiceOntario raise any suspicion with regards to my residency status? Can I renew my OHIP/DL at this point, or is that unwise?

Will employers look into my residency status? Also, what about OUAC/OSAP applications—will my status have any bearing on those?

I apologise for the lengthy inquiry. I would like to become a proud citizen of this country one day, and I hope to maximise my chances of attaining that goal.

Thank you for your time. Certainly looking forward to your replies.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you live in Canada for two full years without leaving - you'll be able to renew your PR card. Might take a while longer than a normal PR card - but absolutely doable.

Employers won't look into residency status and don't have access to this info.

I can't answer the OSAP question. I believe you may need to live in Canada for a while to qualify.

Reactions: yamadori

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
, my understanding is that the best course of action for me now would be to stay in Canada for 2 years straight before processing my PR renewal. I have also seen that some people have done this, although their applications were still considered for secondary evaluation.
This is pretty much your only reasonable course of action. Of course you also can't leave Canada, for any reason whatsoever, until after July 2019.

Other people have had their PR renewals sent for secondary review in your case. I would suggest to wait a few month after July 2019 before applying to renew your card, but really the decision on whether to go to secondary review is entirely up to IRCC, and doesn't really follow any set of rules. It may happen, or it may not. There isn't much you can do about it.

Regardless, as long as you have the 2 years residency before applying for renewal, by law you should have your PR card renewed successfully no matter how long it takes.

Reactions: yamadori and PHCA

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Just to add some detail, although the others have addressed the most important issues already:
  • you can definitely renew your DL. No one cares about your residency status when you apply for a DL. You will still need the appropriate ID to renew it. Just check the Service Ontario website. But yeah, no worries here. You can even apply for a PR when you are a temporary resident.
  • OSAP: Actually, the bigger issue might not be getting OSAP but getting into University as a Domestic Student in the first place. When you enroll (which usually happens when you pick up your student ID), you have to demonstrate status in Canada. Some universities accept the CoPR even years after landing. But usually they would expect a valid PR card. If at the moment of enrollment you can't prove domestic status it depends on the university what happens (in the worst case, you are not getting enrolled at all).
  • Technically, for OSAP, all you need is a SIN which should be all they verify. Note that this is information I found online, I don't know it from personal experience.
  • Employers are not allowed to ask for your PR card. You only need to give them your SIN. As long as your SIN doesn't start with a 9, this is proof of your permit to work in Canada and they can employ you. There are, at least from reports in this forum, some employers who ask to see a PR card, but again they are technically not allowed to do so. In fact, they aren't even allowed to ask you if you are a PR or a citizen except in the rare circumstance that the citizenship is relevant for employment (high security government jobs, frequent border crossings necessary, working for an airline, ...)

Reactions: yamadori

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
Just to add some detail, although the others have addressed the most important issues already:
  • you can definitely renew your DL. No one cares about your residency status when you apply for a DL. You will still need the appropriate ID to renew it. Just check the Service Ontario website. But yeah, no worries here.
Specifically, Ontario doesn't care. If OP leaves Ontario, life may be harder. In BC, you cannot exchange a licence (including from another province) without proof of status, which requires a PR card for PRs (the COPR is not adequate).

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
Just curious, you returned to Canada as visitor or PR last July? Thanks.
You don't get the choice. If a person is a PR, they cannot enter as a visitor. If they entered 'as a visitor' then they were either stripped of, or renounced, their PR (which OP did not say had happened).

leemegan

Aug 9, 2017
You don't get the choice. If a person is a PR, they cannot enter as a visitor. If they entered 'as a visitor' then they were either stripped of, or renounced, their PR (which OP did not say had happened).
What if one has dual citizenships? One passport has landed paper and another passport can travel as visitor? I have no idea.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Yes, until eTA was in effect you could enter Canada as a visitor on a visa free passport.

yamadori

Aug 14, 2017
To everyone that has replied thus far, I extend my heartfelt thanks.

Right now I am worried about spyfy's point regarding enrolment and OSAP. After going through the OSAP website it says that I need to have lived in Ontario for 12 consecutive months.. I wonder how they'll check for that.

Also, one of my questions remain-- will a change of address at ServiceOntario raise any flags? DL renewal is one thing, but how about a straight change of address? Or are those not mutually exclusive?

PS

Just curious, you returned to Canada as visitor or PR last July? Thanks.
I returned as a PR. I've been one since 2012.