+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

5-year sponsorship ban

live&love

Apr 25, 2018
Hello, I was previously sponsored by my wife and became a PR of Canada last month (spouse sponsorship). I know that I am not able to sponsor another spouse for 5 years as my wife can't for 3.

Now, my wife and I want to be a part of a Group of Five Sponsorship to sponsor a refugee( my brother seeking refugee protection in Croatia).

Can we be a part of the 5 sponsor members or the 5-3 year ban applies to us?

Thank you :)

live&love

Apr 25, 2018
I have another question please. If I owe the CRA money, will that affect it? Will I still be eligible to be a member of the five people?

preet012

Sep 4, 2015
Is still 5 year sponsorship bar in effect. I am candian permanent resident. I sponsor my husband and he left me. I just want to know Can i sponsor someone else now.

live&love

Apr 25, 2018
Is still 5 year sponsorship bar in effect. I am candian permanent resident. I sponsor my husband and he left me. I just want to know Can i sponsor someone else now.
When did you sponsor him? In other words, what day did he become a PR of Canada?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Just month ago
So you have 3 years to wait. This is an unfortunate situation. Did you know each other and were you dating a long time before getting married? If you weren't you can report him for immigration fraud. Not saying it will do anything but worth a shot if you believe he only got married to secure immigration. There will be more scrutiny on your new application especially if you apply soon after the 3 year wait period. I assume that you will also be more cautious in a new relationship and any future sponsorship.

live&love

Apr 25, 2018
So you have 3 years to wait. This is an unfortunate situation. Did you know each other and were you dating a long time before getting married? If you weren't you can report him for immigration fraud. Not saying it will do anything but worth a shot if you believe he only got married to secure immigration. There will be more scrutiny on your new application especially if you apply soon after the 3 year wait period. I assume that you will also be more cautious in a new relationship and any future sponsorship.
3 years is for the person being sponsored. In her case, she is the sponsor, therefore, she’s banned from sponsoring another spouse for 5 years.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
3 years is for the person being sponsored. In her case, she is the sponsor, therefore, she’s banned from sponsoring another spouse for 5 years.
Canuck78 is correct per https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children/eligibility.html

You may not be eligible to sponsor your spouse, partner if you:

• were sponsored by a spouse or partner and you became a permanent resident less than 5 years ago
  • are still financially responsible for a previous spouse or partner that you sponsored. This means you’re still bound by the 3 year undertaking to take care of this person.

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
That's incorrect. You have it backwards. If you were sponsored (i.e. the primary applicant) - it's a five year ban. If you were the person who sponsored (i.e. the Canadian) - there's a 3 year financial commitment during which time you cannot sponsor someone else.

It's three years in this case.

Reactions: live&love

live&love

Apr 25, 2018
That's incorrect. You have it backwards. If you were sponsored (i.e. the primary applicant) - it's a five year ban. If you were the person who sponsored (i.e. the Canadian) - there's a 3 year financial commitment during which time you cannot sponsor someone else.

It's three years in this case.
Wow, i’ve always thought the opposite, but thank you anyway for clarifying :)

Harkrishan

Jul 25, 2019
Hello, my wife was sponsored by her ex husband, in August 2017 she landed and became permanent resident. After one year they got separated and divorced. Her ex husband passes away.Can she sponsor me or not ?

Reactions: phorce

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello, my wife was sponsored by her ex husband, in August 2017 she landed and became permanent resident. After one year they got separated and divorced. Her ex husband passes away.Can she sponsor me or not ?

only 5 years after her landing date. The answer has not changed in a year.

Aishas

Star Member
Aug 22, 2020
Hello everyone,
So I was sponsored by my ex husband back in 2017 but unfortunately just after living 5 months together we get divorced as of domestic violence now I want to re marry so when I can sponsor my husband to Canada.
Thanks for your help!

Reactions: Nelan