NOC Code......
NOC 0124
AOR Received.
07-12-16
Med's Done....
17-12-16
Passport Req..
26-12-17
I have attempted IELTS 4 times already and each time my score lacks 0.5 to score a band of 9.
I'm feeling very heart broken.
The 4th time my score was:-

L:8.5
R:8
S:8.5
W:6.5

Is it too difficult to convenience IDP that I'm a decent English speaker? It is just silly to keep giving the exam and score really good in rest except for writing. Last attempt I scored 7 in writing and 7.5 in listening.
The ideal score I need to get is

L:8
S:7
W:7
R:7

Its like God is playing a sick joke on me.

Can someone tell me is it possible for the PNP to open on 400? or is it definitely not opening at 400? My score right now is 408 and due to the lack of 0.5 points it drops from 453 to 408. I'm feeling very devastated with this process. Any suggestions?

Wolverine17

VIP Member
Mar 28, 2016
niki.chawla1 said:
I have attempted IELTS 4 times already and each time my score lacks 0.5 to score a band of 9.

Is it too difficult to convenience IDP that I'm a decent English speaker? It is just silly to keep giving the exam and score really good in rest except for writing. Last attempt I scored 7 in writing and 7.5 in listening.

Can someone tell me is it possible for the PNP to open on 400? or is it definitely not opening at 400? My score right now is 408 and due to the lack of 0.5 points it drops from 453 to 408. I'm feeling very devastated with this process. Any suggestions?
I am in the same boat like u and resitting the exam for the 3rd time,re evaluation is another thing u can try

jaffaral

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2014
Category........
Other
Hello Niki

I would like to share my experience with IELTS. This was my third time taking ielts. The first time I took ielts General was in Canada without any preparation, and I got 6.5 overall (S7.5 L6 W6.5 R 6.5). This one was with British council. Second one was with IDP, and this time I took academic one in UAE as ielts was a job requirement. I fulfilled the minimum criteria of 7 bands (S7 L8 W6.5 R6.5), and this time I solved 4 practice tests from each Cambridge Book # 10 and 9. Still I did not do any preparation for writing and speaking and finally, I took general exam again in UAE for the purpose of Canadian immigration, as I would complete my 1 year foreign skill work experience in Feb 17. For this time I solved all the general tests from Barron's Ielts Practice Exams, all the test from Cambridge series (book 4 to 11), and all the practice tests from Cambridge Ielts guide. In addition to it, I learned from the book "Ace the ielts". It is a very good book that explains well how to tackle different kind of letters and essays. But still I was wanted someone to estimate my bands and advice me how to improve. So I hired the services of www.ielts-blog.com. By paying them 28 USD, they will evaluate 4 tasks for you, and tell you your estimated band and your mistakes. It seems that the money I spent and the efforts were rewarded when I saw my ielts result yesterday i.e. S8 L9 W7 R7.5. It would have been icing on the cake had I got 8 in reading but still I am satisfied, I at least have all CLB 9's. I never desired for 7.5 in writing as I know I need to improve my essay writing a lot. So 7 is fine

As for u, I would say don't lose hope. If u got 6.5 twice, that means u are scoring 7 in some areas or 6 or 6.5 in others. Or may be u are scoring very well in task 1 but not that good in task 2, as latter carried twice as much weight as the former. Let me give u a little hint. You are assessed based on

1) Task completion (have u answered well what was asked, and is it relevant)
2) cohesion and coherence (r your ideas well connected and have u used sufficient cohesive devices like moreover, however, or in addition e.t.c)
3) Lexicial Resources( your vocabulary)
4) range of grammatical accuracy (is your grammar ok and can u make more complex sentences)

So work on this and I hope u wud get your desired result.

Reactions: ran.nanua1

niki.chawla1

Star Member
Jun 17, 2016
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
NOC 0124
AOR Received.
07-12-16
Med's Done....
17-12-16
Passport Req..
26-12-17
Thank you Jaffaral.

I am also getting my essays and letters assessed this time. I hope I get the desired CLB. I will practice writing and listening on a daily basis.

Amitanvi1585

Feb 3, 2016
niki.chawla1 said:

Hi Nikki,

Hi Nikki, same here, I gave my IELTS second time and got 8.5,8.5,7.5,6.5 in LRSW. My writing went well, I was expecting atleast 7 bands. My current CRS score is 407 and it will jump to 464 if I get 7 bands in writing. After consulting many on this forum and some other forums, I have applied for re-evaluation. I think you should definitely go for re-evaluation. There are people in this forum who have got higher band after re-evaluation.

nitin2katoch

Jul 24, 2016
India
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
13-04-2017
AOR Received.
08-03/2017
Med's Done....
19-08-2017
Hi Niki, hope you are OK. Please don't feel bad, keep the positive view and you surely will beat the test!

I cleared at my 3rd attempt, having decent English background.

My first one was L:9 R:7 S:6 W:6.5

did my work on speaking, second attempt L:9 R:8.5 S:7.5 W:6.5

was such a frustrating stage, but I had the goal in my mind, got Pratesh Thakkar writing book, read all the letters and essays.

Third attempt L:9 R:8.5 S:7 W:7.5

Don't demoralize yourself, keep up the spirits, and you surely will succeed! Good Luck!

niki.chawla1

Star Member
Jun 17, 2016
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
NOC 0124
AOR Received.
07-12-16
Med's Done....
17-12-16
Passport Req..
26-12-17
Amitanvi1585 said:
Hi Nikki, same here, I gave my IELTS second time and got 8.5,8.5,7.5,6.5 in LRSW. My writing went well, I was expecting atleast 7 bands. My current CRS score is 407 and it will jump to 464 if I get 7 bands in writing. After consulting many on this forum and some other forums, I have applied for re-evaluation. I think you should definitely go for re-evaluation. There are people in this forum who have got higher band after re-evaluation.
Re-valuation for writing? Do you think it makes sense to get a re-evaluation in writing? The only thing which seems to stop me from doing it is because it costs half the money which we put for applying for the test and it takes 3 weeks to get re-evaluated.

I might have ignored writing about one point during my essay which is why I feel my score was 6.5 but otherwise my essay went pretty well with good examples. Is there a chance to get good score in such a situation when sent for re-checking?

Also, I have taken a date i.e. 24th September for the attempt. Can I still give for re-checking?

niki.chawla1

Star Member
Jun 17, 2016
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
NOC 0124
AOR Received.
07-12-16
Med's Done....
17-12-16
Passport Req..
26-12-17
nitin2katoch said:
Hi Niki, hope you are OK. Please don't feel bad, keep the positive view and you surely will beat the test!

I cleared at my 3rd attempt, having decent English background.

My first one was L:9 R:7 S:6 W:6.5

did my work on speaking, second attempt L:9 R:8.5 S:7.5 W:6.5

was such a frustrating stage, but I had the goal in my mind, got Pratesh Thakkar writing book, read all the letters and essays.

Third attempt L:9 R:8.5 S:7 W:7.5

Don't demoralize yourself, keep up the spirits, and you surely will succeed! Good Luck!
Hey,

Thanks for telling me your experience.

Can you share some tips or maybe essay structure that can help me boost my score?

Maybe that's where I'm losing marks on.

Wolverine17

VIP Member
Mar 28, 2016
niki.chawla1 said:
Re-valuation for writing? Do you think it makes sense to get a re-evaluation in writing? The only thing which seems to stop me from doing it is because it costs half the money which we put for applying for the test and it takes 3 weeks to get re-evaluated.

I might have ignored writing about one point during my essay which is why I feel my score was 6.5 but otherwise my essay went pretty well with good examples. Is there a chance to get good score in such a situation when sent for re-checking?

Also, I have taken a date i.e. 24th September for the attempt. Can I still give for re-checking?
If you think that you have a chance of scoring higher in the re evaluation then go for it,i know its a risk but anyways everything we are doing is.

Amitanvi1585

Feb 3, 2016
niki.chawla1 said:

You can apply for re-evaluation within 6 weeks after your exam date. It takes 8-10 weeks. I applied for re-evaluation on 27th July, still waiting.

Wolverine17

VIP Member
Mar 28, 2016
Amitanvi1585 said:
You can apply for re-evaluation within 6 weeks after your exam date. It takes 8-10 weeks. I applied for re-evaluation on 27th July, still waiting.
What did you apply for re evaluation and what are your scores?

Wolverine17

VIP Member
Mar 28, 2016
Amitanvi1585 said:
I am still waiting for the result. I just need 0.5 more in writing, my score will jump to 464.
Same here i need 0.5 in my writing as well and i applied forna re evaluation but still waiting,its my 2nd

nitin2katoch

Jul 24, 2016
India
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
13-04-2017
AOR Received.
08-03/2017
Med's Done....
19-08-2017
Hey Nikki, I read IELTS writing book by Pratesh Thakkar. Very good book, informative and it has a pattern for writing the essay. That is how I cracked the writing section.

niki.chawla1

Star Member
Jun 17, 2016
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
NOC 0124
AOR Received.
07-12-16
Med's Done....
17-12-16
Passport Req..
26-12-17
nitin2katoch said:
Hey Nikki, I read IELTS writing book by Pratesh Thakkar. Very good book, informative and it has a pattern for writing the essay. That is how I cracked the writing section.
Hey thanks. Is there a pdf available online or any material that you can share with me?