+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

401K, US Stocks and US Bank Accounts

moose17

Jun 30, 2017
No what he is saying that it is better to sell off along with giving up your residency. If you eg: rent out for 2 years while you are away you will need to pay taxes on the rent and then pay the capital gains for the 2 y ears. You will need to get a specialized attorney and appraiser to review your assets 2 years back at that point in time. The attorney will withold 20% - 30% of cash in escrow etc. Pain.
Oh, okay. We weren't going to rent out the house anyway. Seemed too much a pain without the tax mess added on!

deadbird

Jan 9, 2016
No what he is saying that it is better to sell off along with giving up your residency. If you eg: rent out for 2 years while you are away you will need to pay taxes on the rent and then pay the capital gains for the 2 y ears. You will need to get a specialized attorney and appraiser to review your assets 2 years back at that point in time. The attorney will withold 20% - 30% of cash in escrow etc. Pain.
If you don't sell your US house before you move to Canada, make sure that you get a property appraisal (~ $300) before you leave in order to establish a tax basis for calculating capital gains for Canadian taxes.

moose17

Jun 30, 2017
If you don't sell your US house before you move to Canada, make sure that you get a property appraisal (~ $300) before you leave in order to establish a tax basis for calculating capital gains for Canadian taxes.
We're at the point of listing our house soon and actually have a chance of closing before moving (noting that we've already landed but aren't "residents for tax purposes") - in this case we don't need an appraisal, correct? Do you have any articles about that? I'm having a hard time finding much myself that actually applies to my situation. So far I've just found this: https://taxmap.irs.gov/taxmap/pubs/p597-003.htm

Generally, gains from the sale of personal property by a U.S. resident having no permanent establishment in Canada are exempt from Canadian income tax. However, the exemption from Canadian tax does not apply to gains realized by U.S. residents on Canadian real property, and on personal property belonging to a permanent establishment in Canada.
That seems to support it not being an issue as long as we close at least one day before physically moving to Canada but I don't trust myself on these matters at all!

deadbird

Jan 9, 2016
We're at the point of listing our house soon and actually have a chance of closing before moving (noting that we've already landed but aren't "residents for tax purposes") - in this case we don't need an appraisal, correct? Do you have any articles about that? I'm having a hard time finding much myself that actually applies to my situation. So far I've just found this: https://taxmap.irs.gov/taxmap/pubs/p597-003.htm

Generally, gains from the sale of personal property by a U.S. resident having no permanent establishment in Canada are exempt from Canadian income tax. However, the exemption from Canadian tax does not apply to gains realized by U.S. residents on Canadian real property, and on personal property belonging to a permanent establishment in Canada.
That seems to support it not being an issue as long as we close at least one day before physically moving to Canada but I don't trust myself on these matters at all!
Disclaimers: I am not a CPA, I am not a lawyer.

Based on what my tax advisors have told me you become a Canadian tax resident only after you move to Canada and establish residence there, e.g. starting a job, getting provincial health insurance, etc. Therefore it would follow that if you were to close the sale of your US property before you physically moved to Canada, there would be no Canadian tax implications.

habibi123

Star Member
Nov 22, 2020
No need to liquidate stocks! Just open an online brokerage in Canada ( I use interactive brokers canada) and ask them to do an ACATS transfer from your US brokerage. All your stocks will move to Canadian broker and you can keep them. You can also buy US stocks via Canadian brokers.

As for 401k, etc just roll them over to Fidelity IRA. Fidelity allows foreign addresses.
But does Fidelity still allow active trading on IRA account after moving to Canada?