+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

4 Year gap with No Work Experience

akansha.1111

Nov 16, 2019
I had graduated in 2016 in Masters in Software Engineering. I have applied for a Graduate Certificate in IT Business Analysis course in Cambrian college and got accepted in it.
My father fell very ill in 2017 and I was taking care of him. After his treatment, I took some coaching in private institutions to learn a few programming languages

Could you please guide me regarding how can I cover this gap ?

Thanks !

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Since you already have a master's, they will wonder why you are going back down to a certificate in a different field. You need to explain why studying in Canada will advance your career in your home country. Why can't you stay there to study?

akansha.1111

Nov 16, 2019
Thank you for your reply. The graduate certificate is in coordination with my previous study as it is IT Business Analysis. The modules too have a lot of IT components.
I can explain that the course would benefit my job prospects in my home country also since Canada follows a practical study approach.
I’ve seen a lot of people getting visa with the similar situation.
I am just confused about justifying the study gap.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
The problem with the gap is that (I assume) you have been working, so you need to explain why you want to return to school now even though you already have a stable career. What does a certificate offer you that you do not already have and why can't you obtain it in your home country?

akansha.1111

Nov 16, 2019
Thank you for your response. I apologize for not stating it initially that I am not employed. In fact, since my Masters, I only have 4 months work experience at a software company and apart from that, I have taken some programming courses.
This was so because my father fell ill in 2017 so I was looking after him. After the treatment I did a few programming courses.

Given the scenario, how can I justify my study gap ? Thanks !

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Answer is the same as before. Can you explain why returning to school in Canada is important for your career advancement? Why can't you get a job with your existing credentials or study in your home country?

akansha.1111

Nov 16, 2019
I can explain saying how in today’s job market, only having software skill isn’t enough. Companies want someone who can analyze their client’s requirements from a business point of view , in addition to having software related knowledge.
The course is related to my previous studies, that is software engineering. This is just in brief, I shall elaborate further in my SOP.

Im just wondering about the gap.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
You can't change the past, so as someone with a master's suddenly wanting to do a certificate in Canada, you need to do everything possible going forward to satisfy the visa officer that you are a genuine student and do not have immigrant/PR intent.