+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

4 week trip without fulfilling RO

geezy

Apr 15, 2019
Hi all,

I became a PR in January 2016 and have not fulfilled my RO obligations. I have spent about a month in Canada since that date. I am returning to Canada for work in October for 4 weeks. My PR card is valid until January 2021.

I know I won't have any problems getting on the plane as I have my PR card, but I'm worried about the border.

1. If the worst happens and I am reported at the border, am I correct in thinking I would be able to stay for 4 weeks and then leave?

2. Would this have a detrimental effect on any other visa/immigration applications?

3. My other option would be to renounce my PR prior to my trip, but then I would need to get some more paperwork to work in Canada for 4 weeks (I just need a letter from the University I am working with, so it's not a huge issue, but still).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
No, losing your Canadian PR won't have a detrimental effect on other applications. You'll simply become a foreign national again, lots of people give up their PR for one reason or another.

Issues happen when people get deported, excluded, banned, or refused multiple times.

geezy

Apr 15, 2019
Great, thanks so much both of you! So I'm correct in thinking if I get reported / taken to secondary inspection I might just have to wait at immigration for a bit and then I'll be fine to enter?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Great, thanks so much both of you! So I'm correct in thinking if I get reported / taken to secondary inspection I might just have to wait at immigration for a bit and then I'll be fine to enter?
Yes. They will tell you if you have been reported but the you will be able to enter.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Just make sure you don't voluntarily renounce your PR - CBSA may offer you that option, but if you do that, you won't be able to stay in Canada for a month.

Reactions: canuck78