+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

4 months left on PGWP - Anybody knows where to get am LMIA?

dubaitotoronto

Star Member
Oct 28, 2011
Hello Friends,
Thank you for all your posts and replies.

Now I have 4 months left on my PGWP, my current employer will not apply for an LMIA.

I live in Calgary and currently working as Retail Store Manager.

Any of you know any consultant or company who give LMIA?

I heard that in Vancouver and Surrrey (BC) there are many consultants giving LMIA arranged job? Do you know if I can trust them?

Waiting for your replies

ynajmee

May 24, 2012
Hello:

You will be undertaking a big risk going through consultants to obtain LMIA. I would recommend doing the ground work yourself to look for an employer willing to apply for LMIA for you. A good place to start would be jobbank.gc.ca
With just 4 months in hand, it will be challenging to find an employer and apply for LMIA. While you should continue to find one, have you also considered going back to school and apply for a study permit. You won't be able to apply for a PGWP again but while studying, you will have more time to look for an employer willing to get LMIA for you.

dubaitotoronto

Star Member
Oct 28, 2011
Thanks Najmee for your reply.

I would like to ask one more question

My PGWP will expire on August 30, by that time I will be completing 11 months in a skilled category job. I know that my work permit PGWP is not extendable eventhough if I apply to extend my PGWP by mailing the application to Virgiville, Alberta office, I will be on IMPLIED status and can continue working. Normally it takes 2 months for them to take a decision, even if they reject my PGWP extension application, I will have legally completed 12 months in a skilled category job, then I am eligible to apply under Canadian Experience Class under the Express entry.

If I get a refusal for PGWP work permit expension before the expiry of my work permit. Can I apply for restoration to study permit? Then I can be in Canada on study permit while my express entry application is in process.

Do you think this will work?

Thanks

ynajmee

May 24, 2012
Maybe a senior member here can give you more information on your proposed route. In my opinion, I think it would all depend on the immigration officer evaluating your application.
What was the duration of your PGWP? The CIC has clear guidelines regarding the length of PGWP you can get. If your PGWP was less than 3 years, you can probably attach a letter of explanation when you file for your PR that you had applied for an extension because you believed you were eligible for a longer length.
However, if you already have a 3 year permit which is the maximum you can get, the officer may not take into account your implied work experience after your permit expires.

You can apply for restoration within 90 days after your permit expires. But you are not allowed to work or study until your status is restored. I really hope everything works out for you. With 11 months of qualified work experience, it would be unfortunate if you are not given consideration for an extra month.

This is by no means any guidance but if I were you, I would apply for an extension on my PGWP even if I was given a 3 year permit initially. However, I would attach a letter of explanation detailing the length of my employment and skilled work experience. I would request that my permit be extended only for a month. Even if you are refused, they will know that you were honest and your intention was not to deceive them. I have done this before with my study permit; I asked for an extended stay attaching all the relevant documents and I was approved.

dubaitotoronto

Star Member
Oct 28, 2011
Thank you very much Ynajmee for your reply. Thank you for your taking the time to read my questions and typing all those for me.

My study was for one year (3 semesters) I got 1 year and 6 months work permit. So I think I can apply for extension, a few of my friends got 2 years work permit. They gave me work permit as long as my passport was valid, now I renewed my passport so I think it is genuine to apply for an extension.

I have one more question, I told you that I will be completing 11 months in a skilled category job by August 30 (the expiry date of my work permit) it is like I joined Walmart as a sales associate (Category C) in October 2014, after 4 months in March 2015 I got promoted as Department Manager, so when I said 11 months that 4 months in Category C is also included. The minimum 12 months they want for Canadian Experience class they want all the full 12 months in Category, will they consider me some one like me who got promoted to Category B from Category C?

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
dubaitotoronto said:
I have one more question, I told you that I will be completing 11 months in a skilled category job by August 30 (the expiry date of my work permit) it is like I joined Walmart as a sales associate (Category C) in October 2014, after 4 months in March 2015 I got promoted as Department Manager, so when I said 11 months that 4 months in Category C is also included. The minimum 12 months they want for Canadian Experience class they want all the full 12 months in Category, will they consider me some one like me who got promoted to Category B from Category C?
No - they certainly won't consider you under CEC with these conditions. You need 12 months of experience in a skilled occupation. The time you spent working in the category C NOC cannot be counted towards this total. You can only count your experience from March 2015 forward towards CEC.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
dubaitotoronto said:
Thanks Najmee for your reply.

I would like to ask one more question

My PGWP will expire on August 30, by that time I will be completing 11 months in a skilled category job. I know that my work permit PGWP is not extendable eventhough if I apply to extend my PGWP by mailing the application to Virgiville, Alberta office, I will be on IMPLIED status and can continue working. Normally it takes 2 months for them to take a decision, even if they reject my PGWP extension application, I will have legally completed 12 months in a skilled category job, then I am eligible to apply under Canadian Experience Class under the Express entry.

If I get a refusal for PGWP work permit expension before the expiry of my work permit. Can I apply for restoration to study permit? Then I can be in Canada on study permit while my express entry application is in process.

Do you think this will work?

Thanks
You cannot apply to extend a non-extendable work permit and expect implied status to apply. I'm sure that CIC will be aware of this "trick" and operate accordingly.

dubaitotoronto

Star Member
Oct 28, 2011
Thanks zardoz and scylla for your your replies.

TO zardoz: eventhough it seems 'tricky" my plan is 100% legal and within the permitted rules, generally PGWP is not extendable, but if CIC issue work permit until the expiry date of your passport, you can apply for extension once we have a new passport, thats what happened in my case, I got work permit until the expiry date of my passport, now I have new passport , so I think that will not have a negative impact

If I get an experience certificate from my employer in the following format will that work for me?

Just have joined date and last worked date, and the last designation with no mention of started designation.

I have seen the experience certificates got by other employees in my company, they just have their last designation, joining date and last worked date, with no mention about started designation.

Will the CIC check all the titles I worked in my employment by email or phone? Any body have any idea?

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
dubaitotoronto said:
If I get an experience certificate from my employer in the following format will that work for me?

Just have joined date and last worked date, and the last designation with no mention of started designation.

I have seen the experience certificates got by other employees in my company, they just have their last designation, joining date and last worked date, with no mention about started designation.

Will the CIC check all the titles I worked in my employment by email or phone? Any body have any idea?
No - you can't do this. This is misrepresentation punishable by a refusal of your application and a 5 year ban from Canada. Yes - CIC may very well call your employer. They will also look at your pay which will presumably show an increase when you were promoted. What you are proposing to do is illegal.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
dubaitotoronto said:
Thanks zardoz and scylla for your your replies.

TO zardoz: eventhough it seems 'tricky" my plan is 100% legal and within the permitted rules, generally PGWP is not extendable, but if CIC issue work permit until the expiry date of your passport, you can apply for extension once we have a new passport, thats what happened in my case, I got work permit until the expiry date of my passport, now I have new passport , so I think that will not have a negative impact

Thanks
You are correct that you can apply for the remaining portion of your PGWP entitlement. In this limited case, implied status does work for you.

dubaitotoronto

Star Member
Oct 28, 2011
Thank you very much zardoz and scylla for your expert opinions

Now I understand that I can apply for the extension of my PGWP. Do you know how to do that, when I tried to apply online there was no options, I was not getting that Reference number. There is a question asking for, if you have an approved LMIA, when I answer NO, the result says YOU CANNOT EXTEND YOUR WORK PERMIT AT THIS TIME. Do you know how to apply for an extension of PGWP, when I got a work permit until the expiry date of my passport and once I have a new passport?

Thanks

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
dubaitotoronto said:
Thank you very much zardoz and scylla for your expert opinions

Now I understand that I can apply for the extension of my PGWP. Do you know how to do that, when I tried to apply online there was no options, I was not getting that Reference number. There is a question asking for, if you have an approved LMIA, when I answer NO, the result says YOU CANNOT EXTEND YOUR WORK PERMIT AT THIS TIME. Do you know how to apply for an extension of PGWP, when I got a work permit until the expiry date of my passport and once I have a new passport?

Thanks
I believe that you can't use the "extension application" but have to use the "new application" path instead, supported by an explanation of your circumstances. You may need to search the forum for the procedure but I'm sure I remember it being discussed a few weeks ago on here.

lucifer_2510

May 27, 2014
Kolkata
Category........
Visa Office......
Kolkata
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-07-2014
Doc's Request.
Medical Upfront
IELTS Request
7.5 Bands
File Transfer...
01-08-2014
Med's Request
11-07-2014
Med's Done....
11-07-2014
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
31-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
12-08-2014
LANDED..........
21-08-2014
Buddy, wanted to know.. Does Walmart helps in applying for PR ?

Will they give supporting documents ??

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
lucifer_2510 said:
Buddy, wanted to know.. Does Walmart helps in applying for PR ?

Will they give supporting documents ??
very unlikely Walmart would help anyone for PR but thats a personal view given some other post claimed Subway supported an LMIA not sure believed it but who knows.