AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
I have a question I like to ask. I know there are papers/websites everywhere saying that my 3 year financial obligation begins the day sponsored spouse receives his/her Permanent Resident, which I don't have an issue with. However when I received a letter from CIC informing me of my qualification as a sponsor for Inland Canada Sponsorship, I noticed a line that struck me.

Here is the quote in the letter from CIC.

If your family member's application for Permanent Residence is approved your obligation will begin the day on which your family member becomes a Permanent Resident of Canada.
If your family member entered Canada on a temporary resident permit following an application for permanent residence, your obligation will begin on the date of that entry to Canada.
Your obligations for your family member will end as follows:

Spouses, common-law partners. 3 years from the date on which permanent resident status is granted

I wrote in bold the line that I thought was odd. If my wife entered Canada on a temporary resident permit, followed by application for PR, then 1 year later received her Permanent Resident Status in Canada during Inland Sponsorship. She has never left Canada since she entered Canada on TRV. Does this mean my obligation began 1 year ago when my wife first entered Canada? If my wife waited 12 months to get her PR after entering Canada on TRV, does this mean I have 2 years left of obligation since 1 year has passed?

I would appreciate any response on this matter.

Screech339

godisFin

Oct 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
07-09-2013
Yes, it begin when she receives PR status because before that you do not have an obligation to support her in Canada.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
godisFin said:
Yes, it begin when she receives PR status because before that you do not have an obligation to support her in Canada.
Thanks. I think by reading the line, it meant to say that if my wife entered Canada on a TRV after PR application is submitted then the obligation begins when she entered Canada after PR application been submitted, not before PR application. In this case, that line is not applicable to my case since we applied inland, not outland. Thus wife couldn't possibly entered Canada on TRV after an inland sponsorship was submitted since she was suppose to be in Canada first.

I think that line was meant for outland sponsorship situations.

Thanks for the clearification.

Screech339