+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

3-nights hotel stopover

gfrayge

Feb 19, 2021
Hi everyone, I recently obtained my COPR and PRV, I am planning to move to Canada in April 5th. I actually already booked a flight and made all arrangements for the 14 days quarantine period. However, I've heard there are new restrictions and travelers will have to stay in a hotel for 3 nights and this will cost at least $2000. Do you know if new immigrants are exempted? I mean we are definitely travelling for essential reasons. It's really unclear to me right now if I'm exempted or not.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone, I recently obtained my COPR and PRV, I am planning to move to Canada in April 5th. I actually already booked a flight and made all arrangements for the 14 days quarantine period. However, I've heard there are new restrictions and travelers will have to stay in a hotel for 3 nights and this will cost at least $2000. Do you know if new immigrants are exempted? I mean we are definitely travelling for essential reasons. It's really unclear to me right now if I'm exempted or not.
First question - When was your COPR issued? Was it issued March of last year or earlier?

Based on your post, it was recent which means you would need to fall under an exemption or have an authorization letter in order to travel to Canada to land. Do you fall under one of those?

I don't believe new immigrants are exempt from the 3 day quarantine. However the rules are just firming up now.

Wiggy

Dec 16, 2020
why would you be exempted? are new immigrants immune from catching and spreading Covid? This is a public health initiative not a punishment

Wiggy

Dec 16, 2020
I think a lot of people are confusing exempt from the travel ban with exempt from quarantine.

I am presently waiting a work permit to move to Canada for a job that is waiting for me but I realize that I need to quarantine to ensure that I don't bring the virus with me.

Do I particularly want to be confined to a hotel for 3 days and part with $2k in the process? hell no I can think of far better things to spend $2k on but if I want to move and work in Canada, that is what I have to do.

I can complain but what is it going to change?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I think a lot of people are confusing exempt from the travel ban with exempt from quarantine.

I am presently waiting a work permit to move to Canada for a job that is waiting for me but I realize that I need to quarantine to ensure that I don't bring the virus with me.

Do I particularly want to be confined to a hotel for 3 days and part with $2k in the process? hell no I can think of far better things to spend $2k on but if I want to move and work in Canada, that is what I have to do.

I can complain but what is it going to change?
[/QU
OTE]

And why would returning Canadian CITIZENS, you know , those that have a legal right to return , have to pay the $2000 and someone who has no legal right to enter the country be exempt ?

gfrayge

Feb 19, 2021
why would you be exempted? are new immigrants immune from catching and spreading Covid? This is a public health initiative not a punishment
Why? because the prime minister said this restriction would apply to people who will travel for non-essential reasons. Since travelling to Canada to settle down is not a non-essential reason that's why I am asking if I fall into the group of people who is exempted or not.

gfrayge

Feb 19, 2021
First question - When was your COPR issued? Was it issued March of last year or earlier?

Based on your post, it was recent which means you would need to fall under an exemption or have an authorization letter in order to travel to Canada to land. Do you fall under one of those?

I don't believe new immigrants are exempt from the 3 day quarantine. However the rules are just firming up now.
My COPR was issued after March 2020

Wiggy

Dec 16, 2020
Why? because the prime minister said this restriction would apply to people who will travel for non-essential reasons. Since travelling to Canada to settle down is not a non-essential reason that's why I am asking if I fall into the group of people who is exempted or not.
which means you are exempt from the travel ban NOT from protecting the Canadian population from a virus that you might be carrying hence why you need to be tested and stay in a hotel until you are tested.

here is the list of exemptions from quarantine if you are not on the list......

Mandatory quarantine or isolation – Travel restrictions in Canada – Travel.gc.ca

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My COPR was issued after March 2020
Your travel is non-essential and you would require an authorization letter from IRCC to travel or fall under an exemption (e.g. immediate family member in Canada).

kheo247

Mar 18, 2020
Your travel is non-essential and you would require an authorization letter from IRCC to travel or fall under an exemption (e.g. immediate family member in Canada).
Wouldn't it be okay without authorization letter if it's a connecting flight from the US to Canada? I'm just asking because I'm curious. I received a COPR after March, and from what I saw on this page, it shows that I can enter if I go through the U.S.
https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/foreign-no-symptoms

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Amm2020

Apr 18, 2020
Being exempt from border restrictions does not mean you're exempt from other requirements, including:

• mandatory quarantine
  • any additional public health requirements of the province or territory where you'll be quarantining and staying while in Canada
above is IRCC website. Looks like everyone will be required to go through 3days mandatory hotel. Exempt means you are allowed to come in Canada but must go through 3days.