+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2nd TRV

bkk707

Star Member
May 24, 2018
Hi, this forum was helpful to me 3 years ago. I was applying for a TRV for my Thai GF. First try was rejected, then I wrote a blistering letter to my MP and he was good enough to write a "letter of support". The 2nd try was not only successful, the expiry on it was dated 2 yes out (to match the expiry of my GF's passport).
So now I'm about to apply again. Just wondering if this will be a rubber stamp this time around (due to travel history)? I'm thinking I will also show the same letter of support? Have there been any changes in the process since 2019 that I should be aware about?
Thanks for any suggestions you have.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, this forum was helpful to me 3 years ago. I was applying for a TRV for my Thai GF. First try was rejected, then I wrote a blistering letter to my MP and he was good enough to write a "letter of support". The 2nd try was not only successful, the expiry on it was dated 2 yes out (to match the expiry of my GF's passport).
So now I'm about to apply again. Just wondering if this will be a rubber stamp this time around (due to travel history)? I'm thinking I will also show the same letter of support? Have there been any changes in the process since 2019 that I should be aware about?
Is it the same MP as 3 years ago?

kumarh2020

Sep 15, 2020
If she traveled to Canada on that TRV and went back within the stipulated legal time, then she can apply again and unless things have gotten worse than last time, she should get an approval. If she got the visa last time, BUT did not travel even once on it, the letter from the MP will be useless for obvious reasons. Also, you cannot use something 4 years old from a political person without their consent and new letter with a new date. What if the situation is different now and the letter of support doesn't align with her current situation?

Reactions: Jets13

bkk707

Star Member
May 24, 2018
Ok thanks. She did use the first Visa and exited in compliance. I guess what I'm wondering is if I should go to the same trouble of getting another support letter or perhaps not necessary since this time should be fairly easy to be approved? Also what is timing like? She is hoping to visit this summer and wondering if it's ok to book flight before visa is approved? The other complication is that her niece would like to join her. The niece has obtained a US visa while she was a student about 10 years ago. She is a professional accountant with a solid career, property owner (owns her condo), about 30 years old.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Ok thanks. She did use the first Visa and exited in compliance. I guess what I'm wondering is if I should go to the same trouble of getting another support letter or perhaps not necessary since this time should be fairly easy to be approved? Also what is timing like? She is hoping to visit this summer and wondering if it's ok to book flight before visa is approved? The other complication is that her niece would like to join her. The niece has obtained a US visa while she was a student about 10 years ago. She is a professional accountant with a solid career, property owner (owns her condo), about 30 years old.
She should not book a flight before getting a TRV. Nobody should. The niece will likely have difficulty getting a visa. Did she travel to the US? How long and when? Your MP gave you a letter but an MP letter only has minimal impact. They may have written something about Covid and needing to be with family which may have helped but that is a very specific scenario but in general unless they personally know you an MP letter doesn’t impact approval. Previous adherence to immigration policies does have an impact so your gf should have a good chance of approval if sue can show that you have also been visiting her I Thailand, she is still employed as a professional, has savings, etc.

bkk707

Star Member
May 24, 2018
She should not book a flight before getting a TRV. Nobody should. The niece will likely have difficulty getting a visa. Did she travel to the US? How long and when? Your MP gave you a letter but an MP letter only has minimal impact. They may have written something about Covid and needing to be with family which may have helped but that is a very specific scenario but in general unless they personally know you an MP letter doesn’t impact approval. Previous adherence to immigration policies does have an impact so your gf should have a good chance of approval if sue can show that you have also been visiting her I Thailand, she is still employed as a professional, has savings, etc.
Hi thanks for the reply. I actually think the MPs letter helped. On the first rejection they said they were concerned she would over-stay. Then on the approval they ended up giving her a 3 year visa (to the expiry date of her passport), despite the fact I only asked for 2 weeks. This was in 2019 (before covid). Also my MP was the parliamentary secretary for the ministry of immigration at the time.
The niece is a professional working for a large multinational (Mercedes) and she travelled to the US about 8 years ago. I offered to do her visa but she said she could do it, possibly her employer will assist? She owns property and earns a high income. She shouldn't have a problem.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi thanks for the reply. I actually think the MPs letter helped. On the first rejection they said they were concerned she would over-stay. Then on the approval they ended up giving her a 3 year visa (to the expiry date of her passport), despite the fact I only asked for 2 weeks. This was in 2019 (before covid). Also my MP was the parliamentary secretary for the ministry of immigration at the time.
The niece is a professional working for a large multinational (Mercedes) and she travelled to the US about 8 years ago. I offered to do her visa but she said she could do it, possibly her employer will assist? She owns property and earns a high income. She shouldn't have a problem.
The fact that your MP was associated with immigration may have helped but in general MP letters don’t help unless they personally know you. MPs write a ton of generic letters for constituents. Did the niece travel to the US on business? For studies? For how long? Wouldn’t be too confident about the niece but you never know. If she has 500k+ in savings that would of course change things. An employer can only provide a letter with proof of leave otherwise they can’t do anything to help someone traveling fir tourism purposes.

bkk707

Star Member
May 24, 2018
Ya I get it, even though the niece would have absolutely zero reason to stay in Canada.....the bureaucrat reviewing her file will be simply following an outdated check list. Absolutely insane if her visa app fails, but yes could easily happen.

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016
Sorry just want to be clear, how long did your girlfriend stay when she visited?

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
The other complication is that her niece would like to join her. The niece has obtained a US visa while she was a student about 10 years ago. She is a professional accountant with a solid career, property owner (owns her condo), about 30 years old.
There is no complication because of the niece. Her niece is 30 years old and will be a separate application. So, their files will have their own journey with no impact on each other.

bkk707

Star Member
May 24, 2018
She stayed 9 days in 2019 per her scheduled flight. Her flight was booked prior to visa application. She asked for 2 weeks and was given 3 years LOL.

bkk707

Star Member
May 24, 2018
There is no complication because of the niece. Her niece is 30 years old and will be a separate application. So, their files will have their own journey with no impact on each other.
True but I will be writing a covering letter explaining that they will be travelling together. Of course they quite likely will ignore this, but I will write it anyways.

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016
She stayed 9 days in 2019 per her scheduled flight. Her flight was booked prior to visa application. She asked for 2 weeks and was given 3 years LOL.
That is not out of the ordinary or anything special to be honest. Had her passport been valid for another few years she would have got it for 5 years or even 10 years.
Note that visa validity is not how long someone can stay, it is just the date the person has to enter Canada before. If it is a multi entry visa then they can come and go during those 5-10 years. In normal cases the stay of the traveler is 6 months, that's why I asked how long your gf stayed. Had she stayed for 3 years that would have been a problem.
I dont think you need the letter from the MP. More important than that letter is the actual history/actions of the traveler. Your GF has shown that she followed all conditions of her visa. She came and left after 9 days. This will be a big plus for her second application. Assuming her other factors in her life like job, finances, ties to home country are still the same or better.

Her niece would have to have her own application. her own travel history, ties to home country, finances to pay for her trip, so it will not have any bearing on your GF application. It will be a separate application.