+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[2019 test experience] Post-test experience/tips on studying

indigocanada

Oct 3, 2018
Hello, all. I just want to make a post in regard to my citizenship test, so I can help you guys in some ways hopefully :).

I JUST took the test today March 21 at Alberta. The total time from start writing the test to finishing is about 10 minutes and I got result right after 20/20. Keep in mind, I live in Canada for 10 years and have went to senior high at Canada as well; so English was not a concern/factor for me in preparing for the test.

***THE FOLLOWING ARE MY OWN PERSONAL OPINIONS, you can disagree and have a completely different experience with the test; so please do NOT use my words as any kind of standard/official understandings for the citizenship test. I am not sharing any test content/questions here as well. ***

My actual study time for the test is roughly 2-3 days (4-5 hours daily) prior to the exam.
I also did some audio listening 3-4 times prior to the test date while driving to/from work just for fun.

What I find helpful is to went through the entire study guide and write key ideas/notes down in a notebook. I know I retain information better with writing.
Know the major ideas of each section (know that when they highlight stuff in blue/bolded; it means it is important to remember).

Although I wrote the exam at AB, I did get some questions from other provinces/territories-BUT, just know the major things about them that stands out. For example, where is the biggest/where is the major producer of what, what is this province well-known for? (SK is known as _____ of the world? QC has leading _____ services in Canada? which region is the manufacturing heartland? you should all know these)

I know I was super concerned with so many names and so many dates to remember; but honestly, IN MY EXPERIENCE ONLY, there is no need to stressed too too much on any specific dates/people for smaller events. Obviously you need to know some of the more important ones such as 1215, 1774, 1791, 1812, 1914, 1944, 1867, 1969, 1982 (the list is not all but you should know exactly what events took place on these years if you have studied!) Know the major contribution Canadians made for WWI/WW2.

In regard to names, know those that are very significant such as the Queen, scientists/inventors who made significant contribution to Canada/world, first PM, current PM, opposition leader's name, governor general's name etc.

I just have a feel of what is important on each chapter/section based on my experience of writing so many exams/tests for school...but that is just personal-everybody is different.

I read the entire study guide one time and have written notes on them on a notebook. I then just skim through the guide randomly as i practiced questions online and go back to some major timeline for some major events.

You can get a paper copy of the citizenship booklet for free and ship to your house for free if you do not know this already. Link: https://smp.gilmore.ca/web/richsmp/layout/generica/UserMain.faces

I would say just a few days prior to the test, go through this helpful thread: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/citizenship-test-faqs.544198/?fbclid=IwAR21LkCEomE5H_ToAO235m6KncU-ezLGIkBjtu8_TqlTn1Ko4g2nNPJmUFA

The major websites I used for questions to practice:
http://www.thecanadiantest.com/citizenship-test (some questions about leaders are outdated so be mindful)
http://www.citizenshipcounts.ca/quiz
I would say the questions are harder than the actual citizenship test itself. If you did well on these online questions (consistently scoring at least 15/20), you will have no problem.

I will also be able to answer questions as well if you guys have any. Let me know :) Best of luck

nnkk20

Star Member
Oct 9, 2018
Hello, all. I just want to make a post in regard to my citizenship test, so I can help you guys in some ways hopefully :).

I JUST took the test today March 21 at Alberta. The total time from start writing the test to finishing is about 10 minutes and I got result right after 20/20. Keep in mind, I live in Canada for 10 years and have went to senior high at Canada as well; so English was not a concern/factor for me in preparing for the test.

***THE FOLLOWING ARE MY OWN PERSONAL OPINIONS, you can disagree and have a completely different experience with the test; so please do NOT use my words as any kind of standard/official understandings for the citizenship test. I am not sharing any test content/questions here as well. ***

My actual study time for the test is roughly 2-3 days (4-5 hours daily) prior to the exam.
I also did some audio listening 3-4 times prior to the test date while driving to/from work just for fun.

What I find helpful is to went through the entire study guide and write key ideas/notes down in a notebook. I know I retain information better with writing.
Know the major ideas of each section (know that when they highlight stuff in blue/bolded; it means it is important to remember).

Although I wrote the exam at AB, I did get some questions from other provinces/territories-BUT, just know the major things about them that stands out. For example, where is the biggest/where is the major producer of what, what is this province well-known for? (SK is known as _____ of the world? QC has leading _____ services in Canada? which region is the manufacturing heartland? you should all know these)

I know I was super concerned with so many names and so many dates to remember; but honestly, IN MY EXPERIENCE ONLY, there is no need to stressed too too much on any specific dates/people for smaller events. Obviously you need to know some of the more important ones such as 1215, 1774, 1791, 1812, 1914, 1944, 1867, 1969, 1982 (the list is not all but you should know exactly what events took place on these years if you have studied!) Know the major contribution Canadians made for WWI/WW2.

In regard to names, know those that are very significant such as the Queen, scientists/inventors who made significant contribution to Canada/world, first PM, current PM, opposition leader's name, governor general's name etc.

I just have a feel of what is important on each chapter/section based on my experience of writing so many exams/tests for school...but that is just personal-everybody is different.

I read the entire study guide one time and have written notes on them on a notebook. I then just skim through the guide randomly as i practiced questions online and go back to some major timeline for some major events.

You can get a paper copy of the citizenship booklet for free and ship to your house for free if you do not know this already. Link: https://smp.gilmore.ca/web/richsmp/layout/generica/UserMain.faces

I would say just a few days prior to the test, go through this helpful thread: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/citizenship-test-faqs.544198/?fbclid=IwAR21LkCEomE5H_ToAO235m6KncU-ezLGIkBjtu8_TqlTn1Ko4g2nNPJmUFA

The major websites I used for questions to practice:
http://www.thecanadiantest.com/citizenship-test (some questions about leaders are outdated so be mindful)
http://www.citizenshipcounts.ca/quiz
I would say the questions are harder than the actual citizenship test itself. If you did well on these online questions (consistently scoring at least 15/20), you will have no problem.

I will also be able to answer questions as well if you guys have any. Let me know :) Best of luck
Thanks a lot this is very helpful! Would you mind sharing which documents you took to your interview?

indigocanada

Oct 3, 2018
Thanks a lot this is very helpful! Would you mind sharing which documents you took to your interview?
Everything they said in your invite letter for the exam. As of Mar 2019, it is all the original documents you provided in your application. For me was simple enough as I am a single applicant. Driver’s, passport, my degree, PR card. They give all the stuff back to you.

The citizenship interview wasn’t formal at all for me and last less than a minute post test (if you passed). They just asked me what do I do and for how many years to test your basic English understanding skills I supposed. But this is post test if you pass.

indigocanada

Oct 3, 2018
it was a test right, so there were options for each gap?
I am unsure what you are referring to. If you mean how the test is structured, it is multiple choices and have ONLY one right answer for each question. Usually A,B,C,D format.

sistemc

Feb 2, 2014
I am unsure what you are referring to. If you mean how the test is structured, it is multiple choices and have ONLY one right answer for each question. Usually A,B,C,D format.
There were about 5 true/false questions in my exam, and about 15 A,B,C,D multiple choices questions.

movinouter

Star Member
Sep 13, 2013
Everything they said in your invite letter for the exam. As of Mar 2019, it is all the original documents you provided in your application. For me was simple enough as I am a single applicant. Driver’s, passport, my degree, PR card. They give all the stuff back to you.

The citizenship interview wasn’t formal at all for me and last less than a minute post test (if you passed). They just asked me what do I do and for how many years to test your basic English understanding skills I supposed. But this is post test if you pass.
Hi! Thanks for sharing your experience here! Really helpful!
I am about to have mine next Monday in Calgary. A bit nervous I guess. I have a small question about the documents you bring to the test .
About your passport, did you bring a certified translation for any stamps/visa/notes that are in your passport (if you have any?)
I am a bit concerned about it to be honest, because I have a few Spanish stamps (saying Salida/ Entrada, meaning Exit/Entry) and Chinese stamps for Exit/Entry.