+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2017 Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship

Sep 29, 2016
2017 Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship

Its time again.. Anxiously waiting for the 2017 reopening of parents and grandparents sponsorship. Lets use this thread to stay tuned on the 2017 Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship updates

(as of 11/11/2016) Below are the FAQs from CIC website for the parents and grandparents sponsorship

When will the Parent and Grandparent Program (PGP) re-open to new applications?

The PGP Program will re-open for intake next year, starting on January 3, 2017, with a cap of 10,000 new and complete applications. Information will be provided on this website prior to the re-opening. We will not accept applications before this date.

When will the new parent and grandparent sponsorship forms be available?
The 2017 application package will be available before the program re-opens on January 3, 2017. Information will be provided on this website prior to the re-opening.

How many new applications for parent and grandparent sponsorship will be accepted for intake in 2017?
In 2017, we will accept 10,000 new and complete applications for intake.

How will I know whether my parents and grandparents (PGP) application was accepted and placed in the inventory?
You will receive an acknowledgment of receipt letter once your PGP application has been accepted and placed in the inventory.

How do I pay for my application to sponsor a parent or grandparent?
As there will be an annual cap on the acceptance of new sponsorship applications for parents and grandparents, payment to the Receiver General for Canada will only be accepted by credit card or certified cheque. Fees that are paid in any other manner (such as on-line payment or payment at a financial institution in Canada using the form IMM5401) will not be accepted and the application will be returned to the sponsor or representative, where applicable. If an application is returned and the applicant re-submits, the application will be placed in the processing queue according to the new date of submission.

Note that if a credit card is used for fee payment, it must be valid for at least nine months from the date on which the application is submitted.

How can I show proof of income to sponsor a parent or grandparent?
You must send your Notices of Assessment from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) for the past three years. Note that your Notice of Assessment from last year may not yet be available, so you will need to provide your Notices of Assessment for the three previous consecutive years.

Can applications to sponsor parents and grandparents (PGP) be hand-delivered?
No. PGP sponsorship applications cannot be delivered in person. The Case Processing Centre in Mississauga, Ontario is not open to the public and no in-person deliveries are accepted

What courier service can I use to submit my application to sponsor a parent or grand-parent?
Applications for parent and grandparent sponsorship must be individually packaged and sent to the Case Processing Centre in Mississauga (CPC-M). The office accepts local couriers and major courier services.

Couriers must have waybills and require a signature by CPC-M staff to prove that it was delivered, when it was delivered and that it was accepted (for their client’s tracking purposes).

CPC-M does not accept envelopes or packages from non-courier services, such as taxi companies, trying to deliver to the office.

Will applications to sponsor a parent or grandparent be received on a first-come, first-served basis until you hit 10,000?

To be included under the cap and considered for processing, applications will have to be completed according to the application kit requirements. Applications will be considered in the order of the date received and must be received by IRCC’s Case Processing Centre in Mississauga on or after the date the program re-opens.

The 10,000 cap is not the first 10,000 applications received but the first 10,000 new and complete applications received as per the document checklist, which includes any new forms and requirements. Incomplete applications will be returned to the applicant and will not be counted as part of the cap.

Does the change in age of dependents affect sponsorship undertakings for dependent children?
es, the age at which the sponsorship obligation period ends for a dependent child has changed. The age limit will now be under 22 years of age instead of under 25 years of age, to reflect the reduction by three years of the definition of dependent child — from under 22 to under 19.

Effective August 1, 2014, the duration of undertaking for sponsorship of dependent children of the sponsor or of the sponsor’s spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner, or for children to be adopted in Canada has changed as follows:

• If the person is less than 19 years of age when they become a permanent resident, the duration of sponsorship undertaking ends on the earlier of either a) the last day of the 10-year period following the day on which they become a permanent resident or b) the day on which the foreign national reaches 22 years of age; or,
    If the dependent child is 19 years of age or older when they become a permanent resident, the duration of sponsorship undertaking ends on the last day of the 3-year period following the day on which they become a permanent resident.

skp

Mar 7, 2010
Canada
Visa Office......
CHC London
AOR Received.
17-12-2008
File Transfer...
23-12-2008
Med's Request
14-10-2009
Med's Done....
17-11-2009
To my all friends please read the latest change made by CIC for the 2017 Family Sponsorship category for Parents & Grand Parents. We don't have to submit the OLD form on 3rd Jan 2017. So read the complete news/change. I wanted to include the link but the link is not allowed for Post. So go to the CIC website where the News is printed. Good luck to everybody. .

DylB

Oct 13, 2016
Hi all, I was wondering whether you need a full 3 years of Canadian income in order to sponsor parents?

I am trying to figure out when I will be eligible to sponsor my folks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
DylB said:
Hi all, I was wondering whether you need a full 3 years of Canadian income in order to sponsor parents?

I am trying to figure out when I will be eligible to sponsor my folks.
You need to provide three Canadian income tax returns proving you meet the income requirements (unless you live in Quebec). So yes - you need 3 full years of Canadian income.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

prisha55

Star Member
Apr 6, 2017
Aren't we suppose to get the email notification regardless it was selected or not selected?

Also one should only apply once they receive email confirmation that they have been selected as an sponsor right?
At this moment all we do is fill in the online information for the lottery system and wait if we get selected. Can you confirm this. Just want to make sure that I am not missing anything? i'll appreciate it

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
prisha55 said:
Aren't we suppose to get the email notification regardless it was selected or not selected?

Also one should only apply once they receive email confirmation that they have been selected as an sponsor right?
At this moment all we do is fill in the online information for the lottery system and wait if we get selected. Can you confirm this. Just want to make sure that I am not missing anything? i'll appreciate it
Yes - that's right.

deerestlovelybear

Jan 20, 2015
prisha55 said:

This year the program is screwed up and no selection for now. By the time last year some sponsors have been approved. We are guine pig for a totally messy experiment

neeti2090

Feb 8, 2017
deerestlovelybear said:
This year the program is screwed up and no selection for now. By the time last year some sponsors have been approved. We are guine pig for a totally messy experiment
Totally agree with you.
All we have to do is wait but for how long :(

jeffporfirio2

Apr 11, 2017
Sask
Category........
Visa Office......
Moscow
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Let's be patient.
Everyone will be notified, and once they send emails out, this forum will be bombarded with posts.
There is no need to keep asking if anyone has received any notifications, or to tell everyone that they are still waiting.
Be patient, find a hobby in the meantime.
Good luck