+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2 years stay in Canada - PR Compliance question

freekyguy007

Jul 17, 2018
Hi Guys,

This forum has been such a boon over the years.
I have a peculiar question guys.
I got my PR in May 2019 and the PR card expires in May 2024. I have lived in Canada for almost 1 year and 2 months (From May 2019 till around July 2020). Came back to New Delhi, India during Covid-19 as I couldn't get a job there and got very depressed & lonely there and also was running short of funds and didn't want to spend a lot of my parents money.
I have a couple of questions:
1. How can I keep my PR status ? Can it be kept forever ? Is it actually worth doing it ?
2. Is it worth going to Canada now ? Uprooting my self again and everything. My only option is Toronto as I am a finance professional (CA, CFA). How is the job market ?
I have realized I am more of a independent worker and have trouble working under bosses who are on my head 24/7.

Thanks a ton guys

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Guys,

I got my PR in May 2019 and the PR card expires in May 2024. I have lived in Canada for almost 1 year and 2 months (From May 2019 till around July 2020). Came back to New Delhi, India during Covid-19 as I couldn't get a job there and got very depressed & lonely there and also was running short of funds and didn't want to spend a lot of my parents money.
1. How can I keep my PR status ? Can it be kept forever ? Is it actually worth doing it ?
2. Is it worth going to Canada now ? Uprooting my self again and everything. My only option is Toronto as I am a finance professional (CA, CFA). How is the job market ?
I have realized I am more of a independent worker and have trouble working under bosses who are on my head 24/7.

Thanks a ton guys
Why your only option is Toronto? No financial profession jobs in Vancouver, Montreal or Edmonton? As a financial professional and independent worker, you have issue with earn a living in Canada?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Also, have you sorted out the question you asked not so long ago? Your unpaid line of credit balance and tax arrears? You said you didn't care about credit history but at the same time you are a financial professional?

Reactions: Ponga and YVR123

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Guys,

Thanks a ton guys
That is a personal decision. Depends on why you were moving to Canada. immigrating doesn’t make sense for everyone especially if you have a good job and lifestyle in your home country.

freekyguy007

Jul 17, 2018
Also, have you sorted out the question you asked not so long ago? Your unpaid line of credit balance and tax arrears? You said you didn't care about credit history but at the same time you are a financial professional?
I am still paying off that line of credit and tax arrears. Will take a couple of months more to finish them up.

freekyguy007

Jul 17, 2018
That is a personal decision. Depends on why you were moving to Canada. immigrating doesn’t make sense for everyone especially if you have a good job and lifestyle in your home country.
People are moving in droves to the big north. People come back as well.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
People are moving in droves to the big north. People come back as well.
Which is why I said it is a personal decision and it doesn’t make sense for everyone. Immigration from many countries doesn’t necessarily mean better lives especially if you have a very comfortable life in your home country. It really depends on why you are immigrating. For example if you are moving to Canada because you are trying to escape the pollution then it may make sense. If you are well paid in your home country and have good career opportunities then moving to Canada for better career opportunities or for financial reasons probably doesn’t make sense.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi Guys,

As @canuck78 noted, and very much so, whether to follow through with physically immigrating to Canada is a personal decision. While career and financial considerations loom large, there is a broad range of personal factors to consider, ranging from family ties to cultural and social environment preferences, and climate preferences. A light coat will not suffice in the GTA for a significant part of the year.

Since this is an immigration site, while there is a fair amount of experience and background in the economic factors involved, the main focus of most participants here is how-to stuff. I have been out of the job-search game personally, for a long while (decades - old and in the way I've heard them say, to steal a line from the Grateful Dead), but I can confidently say it's a safe bet there are other, better internet sources for researching the job market in the GTA and Canada generally.

I am mostly responding because no one has addressed "1. How can I keep my PR status ? Can it be kept forever ?"

I assume you know the primary requirement for keeping PR status: meeting the PR Residency Obligation. It appears you are getting very close to failing to comply with the RO. If and when you pass the threshold of being outside Canada for more than 1095 days since you landed, you will be in breach of the RO and at risk of losing your PR status. To be sure to keep your status it not only looks like you need to come to Canada soon but you will need to stay here, and stay near continuously for the next two years after arriving.

Yes, PR status can be kept for life . . . as long as the PR complies with the PR RO and does not otherwise become inadmissible for criminality/security reasons. So, yes, someone can immigrate here and keep PR status without needing to become a Canadian citizen.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
As @canuck78 noted, and very much so, whether to follow through with physically immigrating to Canada is a personal decision. While career and financial considerations loom large, there is a broad range of personal factors to consider, ranging from family ties to cultural and social environment preferences, and climate preferences. A light coat will not suffice in the GTA for a significant part of the year.

Since this is an immigration site, while there is a fair amount of experience and background in the economic factors involved, the main focus of most participants here is how-to stuff. I have been out of the job-search game personally, for a long while (decades - old and in the way I've heard them say, to steal a line from the Grateful Dead), but I can confidently say it's a safe bet there are other, better internet sources for researching the job market in the GTA and Canada generally.

I am mostly responding because no one has addressed "1. How can I keep my PR status ? Can it be kept forever ?"

I assume you know the primary requirement for keeping PR status: meeting the PR Residency Obligation. It appears you are getting very close to failing to comply with the RO. If and when you pass the threshold of being outside Canada for more than 1095 days since you landed, you will be in breach of the RO and at risk of losing your PR status. To be sure to keep your status it not only looks like you need to come to Canada soon but you will need to stay here, and stay near continuously for the next two years after arriving.

Yes, PR status can be kept for life . . . as long as the PR complies with the PR RO and does not otherwise become inadmissible for criminality/security reasons. So, yes, someone can immigrate here and keep PR status without needing to become a Canadian citizen.
Will comment on the job market. There are no shortage of others wanting finance jobs coming to the GTA. Canada is a relatively small country and not a finance hub. Many Canadians competing for the same jobs and Canadians who have left to work in the big finance centres looking to return to Canada when they start a family. You also have many ppl looking to leave HK and UK plus many others working in finance abroad also applying for PR so unless you have connections in the GTA or receiving a transfer from your employer to Canada you will be facing an extremely competitive job market. The GTA can only absorb so many people wanting to work in finance. If have have a good job now and good career opportunities you need to examine why you want to immigrate. I know in many South Asian communities there is family pressure to immigrate no matter what without actually examining whether it makes sense. It may have made sense 10+ years ago but it no longer makes sense for many professionals if just examining finances and career opportunities.

Reactions: meghashyam75

freekyguy007

Jul 17, 2018
Will comment on the job market. There are no shortage of others wanting finance jobs coming to the GTA. Canada is a relatively small country and not a finance hub. Many Canadians competing for the same jobs and Canadians who have left to work in the big finance centres looking to return to Canada when they start a family. You also have many ppl looking to leave HK and UK plus many others working in finance abroad also applying for PR so unless you have connections in the GTA or receiving a transfer from your employer to Canada you will be facing an extremely competitive job market. The GTA can only absorb so many people wanting to work in finance. If have have a good job now and good career opportunities you need to examine why you want to immigrate. I know in many South Asian communities there is family pressure to immigrate no matter what without actually examining whether it makes sense. It may have made sense 10+ years ago but it no longer makes sense for many professionals if just examining finances and career opportunities.
Makes sense about the job market and people coming from big financial centers.

freekyguy007

Jul 17, 2018

Thanks for such a detailed reply.
I can I am unable to complete the residency obligation, is permanent resident travel document an option ? Or if worst comes to worst, is again applying in the express entry draw an option ?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I can I am unable to complete the residency obligation, is permanent resident travel document an option ? Or if worst comes to worst, is again applying in the express entry draw an option ?
In contrast to information about what this or that rule is, how it applies, what it requires, all of which is information rather than personal advice, I cannot offer much in the way of advice, what decisions to make.

Applying for a PR Travel Document is an option for a PR abroad without a valid PR card which, if granted, will facilitate boarding an international flight destined for Canada -- that is, it is what a PR abroad needs to come to Canada if they do not have a valid PR card. Whether or not an IRCC visa office will issue a PR TD depends on whether the PR meets the Residency Obligation. Generally it will be denied if the PR is not complying with the RO but the PR may make a H&C case why they should be allowed to keep PR status and issued a PR TD DESPITE their failure to comply with the RO. There is no point applying for a PR TD based on H&C reasons unless the PR is ready to return to Canada to STAY. If the PR TD application is denied that terminates PR status, subject to the right of appeal.

A PR who does not have a valid PR card can, alternatively, travel to Canada through the U.S. IF they have status in the U.S. allowing them to travel to the U.S. Once in the U.S. the PR can travel to the border, and then approach a border crossing Port-of-Entry into Canada. They will be allowed to enter Canada but if in breach of the RO there is a risk the border officials will conduct inadmissibility proceedings which can culminate in a Removal Order. The PR will still be allowed to enter Canada but must leave Canada within 30 days UNLESS they appeal the decision to issue the Removal Order. At the border, and if need be again in an appeal, the PR in breach of the RO can make a H&C case why they should be allowed to keep PR status. Here too, there is no point pursuing this unless the PR is coming to Canada to stay.

If after being issued a Removal Order the PR does not appeal, or does not win an appeal, they are then a Foreign National. A former PR who lost PR status due to a breach of the RO can apply for and if eligible obtain other status. The loss of PR status for RO breach does not have a negative impact. Like if PR status is lost pursuant to a denied PR TD application, they can then make an express entry application.

If a PR apprehends a high probability of losing PR status either of those ways, and wants to proceed with another type of visa application (including PR visas) that they are confident they qualify for, they can renounce their PR status and proceed with the application for a visa, whether applying for Temporary status, like a work-permit, or PR status if eligible.

I have no idea what the prospects of success are when applying for express entry.

freekyguy007

Jul 17, 2018
In contrast to information about what this or that rule is, how it applies, what it requires, all of which is information rather than personal advice, I cannot offer much in the way of advice, what decisions to make.

Applying for a PR Travel Document is an option for a PR abroad without a valid PR card which, if granted, will facilitate boarding an international flight destined for Canada -- that is, it is what a PR abroad needs to come to Canada if they do not have a valid PR card. Whether or not an IRCC visa office will issue a PR TD depends on whether the PR meets the Residency Obligation. Generally it will be denied if the PR is not complying with the RO but the PR may make a H&C case why they should be allowed to keep PR status and issued a PR TD DESPITE their failure to comply with the RO. There is no point applying for a PR TD based on H&C reasons unless the PR is ready to return to Canada to STAY. If the PR TD application is denied that terminates PR status, subject to the right of appeal.

A PR who does not have a valid PR card can, alternatively, travel to Canada through the U.S. IF they have status in the U.S. allowing them to travel to the U.S. Once in the U.S. the PR can travel to the border, and then approach a border crossing Port-of-Entry into Canada. They will be allowed to enter Canada but if in breach of the RO there is a risk the border officials will conduct inadmissibility proceedings which can culminate in a Removal Order. The PR will still be allowed to enter Canada but must leave Canada within 30 days UNLESS they appeal the decision to issue the Removal Order. At the border, and if need be again in an appeal, the PR in breach of the RO can make a H&C case why they should be allowed to keep PR status. Here too, there is no point pursuing this unless the PR is coming to Canada to stay.

If after being issued a Removal Order the PR does not appeal, or does not win an appeal, they are then a Foreign National. A former PR who lost PR status due to a breach of the RO can apply for and if eligible obtain other status. The loss of PR status for RO breach does not have a negative impact. Like if PR status is lost pursuant to a denied PR TD application, they can then make an express entry application.

If a PR apprehends a high probability of losing PR status either of those ways, and wants to proceed with another type of visa application (including PR visas) that they are confident they qualify for, they can renounce their PR status and proceed with the application for a visa, whether applying for Temporary status, like a work-permit, or PR status if eligible.

I have no idea what the prospects of success are when applying for express entry.
Insightful answer ! Thanks so much.