+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2 years left on PR, residency obligation

e_ca

Star Member
May 23, 2016
I got my pr in Feb 2017 and moved to Windsor in July 2018, since then I've been commuting 4 days a week for work in Detroit. I leave at 8 AM and I'm back in Windsor by 6 PM.

Are these days partially spent in Canada count towards my PR requirements? I'm freaking out little as I've only 2 years left on PR which means I've to find a new job in Canada ASAP.

Can anyone shed light on this?
What documents should I show to prove life in Canada? I'm not on lease in my apartment so that is out of the question. I do have credit card statements, bank statements, TFSA and I filed taxes for 2018 in Canada.

Last edited:

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Even if you spend only a single minute in Canada it counts as a day for residency purposes. So for example if you said you left Canada on 25 Dec and returned on 26 Dec it would be net zero days out of the country as both days would be Canada days. Same for in effect day trips in your case.

You can check this out by using the physical presence calculator even though you do not yet qualify for citizenship until new year

https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/resCalcStartNew.do

Last edited:
Reactions: e_ca

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I got my pr in Feb 2017 and moved to Windsor in July 2018, since then I've been commuting 4 days a week for work in Detroit. I leave at 8 AM and I'm back in Windsor by 6 PM.

Are these days partially spent in Canada count towards my PR requirements? I'm freaking out little as I've only 2 years left on PR which means I've to find a new job in Canada ASAP.

Can anyone shed light on this?
What documents should I show to prove life in Canada? I'm not on lease in my apartment so that is out of the question. I do have credit card statements, bank statements, TFSA and I filed taxes for 2018 in Canada.
On a separate note, what is your status in the US? TFSAs do not benefit from tax exemption for US tax purposes. It's not advised to have a TFSA if you are American or filing taxes in the US.

Reactions: e_ca

e_ca

Star Member
May 23, 2016
Even if you spend only a single minute in Canada it counts as a day for residency purposes. So for example if you said you left Canada on 25 Dec and returned on 26 Dec it would be net zero days out of the country as both days would be Canada days. Same for in effect day trips in your case.

You can check this out by using the physical presence calculator even though you do not yet qualify for citizenship until new year

https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/resCalcStartNew.do
I'll check it out, thanks. I do have an excel sheet with entry-exit records and based on the fact that coming back to Canada the same day is counted as the day spent in Canada i do have 500+ days. But i was not sure about it. Thanks again

e_ca

Star Member
May 23, 2016
On a separate note, what is your status in the US? TFSAs do not benefit from tax exemption for US tax purposes. It's not advised to have a TFSA if you are American or filing taxes in the US.
h1B in the US, I know TFSA is not under tax exemption in the US. But I plan to leave the US completely in a month or two and my investments there are long term. so unless I sell my investments I won't have to pay anything on the returns :). Since I'm planning to leave the US soon, I don't have to worry about the tax implication of TFSA in the US

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
h1B in the US, I know TFSA is not under tax exemption in the US. But I plan to leave the US completely in a month or two and my investments there are long term. so unless I sell my investments I won't have to pay anything on the returns :). Since I'm planning to leave the US soon, I don't have to worry about the tax implication of TFSA in the US
OK - cool. Wanted to make sure you knew.

My husband is American so no TFSA for life for him. :(