+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2 year PR requirement not fulfilled?

dphotawala

Star Member
Nov 16, 2018
Can someone please help me with my below questions:

1. When does the 2 year PR residency requirement start? Is it after I receive PR approval or is it after the first landing?
2. What happens if I am stay outside the country for 3 1/2 half and then decide to settle in Canada? **Post-Landing**
3. Who and how does someone keep track of the # of days I physically spent in Canada?
4. Does Canadian govt change residency and citizenship requirement quite often? If so, does that apply to everyone or is it just for applicant going forward (post change in law)?

Thanks in advance.

yiso91

Aug 19, 2017
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
27-01-2019
Passport Req..
29-11-2019
Can someone please help me with my below questions:

1. When does the 2 year PR residency requirement start? Is it after I receive PR approval or is it after the first landing?
2. What happens if I am stay outside the country for 3 1/2 half and then decide to settle in Canada? **Post-Landing**
3. Who and how does someone keep track of the # of days I physically spent in Canada?
4. Does Canadian govt change residency and citizenship requirement quite often? If so, does that apply to everyone or is it just for applicant going forward (post change in law)?

Thanks in advance.
1. from the date you back landed immigrant.
2. You might run into issues renewing your PR card which is a travel document required to travel outside Canada and you might be investigated and easily striped away from PR status.
3. Use a calendar or any Excel sheet to calculate your days off and on. Remember you need to stay in at least 730 days within the past 5 years , they dont have to be in row nor in one block, as long as you count these 730 days within the past 5 years in any shape or form then you are set.
4. They did change the citizenship requirement and reduce the days required before you can apply, it went down to 3 years. As for PR , it really depends on situations but the government doesn't want to mess up on anything that already works and it knows for a fact that this stage for many is a temporary stage and almost 95% of people who move to Canada as PR will apply for citizenship in the future.

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

dphotawala

Star Member
Nov 16, 2018
2. You might run into issues renewing your PR card which is a travel document required to travel outside Canada and you might be investigated and easily striped away from PR status.
3. Use a calendar or any Excel sheet to calculate your days off and on. Remember you need to stay in at least 730 days within the past 5 years , they dont have to be in row nor in one block, as long as you count these 730 days within the past 5 years in any shape or form then you are set.
4. They did change the citizenship requirement and reduce the days required before you can apply, it went down to 3 years. As for PR , it really depends on situations but the government doesn't want to mess up on anything that already works and it knows for a fact that this stage for many is a temporary stage and almost 95% of people who move to Canada as PR will apply for citizenship in the future.
For Question #2:
a. Is there any exception in case you messed up? Meaning, would the govt give you additional time to meet the requirement?
b. If stripped off from PR status, do an individual have to go through the entire process again in future?
For Question #3:
a. I agree with excel part for personal reference. However, my questions relates to govt - How do they track the # of days? The reason I ask this is so that when the day comes, there is no mismatch between my and govt records/understanding.
b. Is there any additional requirement apart from the 730 days?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Depends upon the government in power . When the Liberals came in they reduced the time required to become a citizen , if the government changes , anything could happen . The Conservatives previously were more enforcement orientated then the current government . Depends upon the government and the if voters want change on numerous topics , immigration being one of them

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
@canuck78 @APPNOV2014NY @steaky @YVR123 @tobs @EE456

Hi members, would any of you know the answers to the above questions?
You seem be trying to claim multiple things at one time. That your permanent home is Canada but your home for work purposes is Texas. Yes you can get in trouble for claiming 2 different primary addresses. I assume you will be using Canadian healthcare and other services while declaring that your permanent home is in Texas. Sure the government could change the residency rules next year just as they were shortened 3 years go. Think you need to be talking to a very competent immigration lawyer.

dphotawala

Star Member
Nov 16, 2018
You seem be trying to claim multiple things at one time. That your permanent home is Canada but your home for work purposes is Texas. Yes you can get in trouble for claiming 2 different primary addresses. I assume you will be using Canadian healthcare and other services while declaring that your permanent home is in Texas. Sure the government could change the residency rules next year just as they were shortened 3 years go. Think you need to be talking to a very competent immigration lawyer.
What makes you think I am claiming two different primary address? Also, on what grounds are you basing all other assumption? First of all, the reason for my questions are my wife - She resides in United States while I moved to Canada. Secondly, neither do I intend, nor am I engaged in any fraud scheme - I am just trying to understand all the ins and out.

Anyways, it would be helpful if you could share your expertise with my concerns on the 4 points. If not, I thank you for your quick response. "Judging an individual with knowing their background is not something I would do".

dphotawala

Star Member
Nov 16, 2018
Depends upon the government in power . When the Liberals came in they reduced the time required to become a citizen , if the government changes , anything could happen . The Conservatives previously were more enforcement orientated then the current government . Depends upon the government and the if voters want change on numerous topics , immigration being one of them
Yup, one of my friend told me the same. A lot of the changes are politically motivated.

However, what's the current norm (on the 4 points)? Just trying to understand how things work under the current law.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
For Question #2:
a. Is there any exception in case you messed up? Meaning, would the govt give you additional time to meet the requirement?
b. If stripped off from PR status, do an individual have to go through the entire process again in future?
For Question #3:
a. I agree with excel part for personal reference. However, my questions relates to govt - How do they track the # of days? The reason I ask this is so that when the day comes, there is no mismatch between my and govt records/understanding.
b. Is there any additional requirement apart from the 730 days?
- Exceptions are only granted if you have very strong H&C reasons for failing to meet the residency requirement. Needing to work or study outside of Canada aren't accepted as H&C reasons.
- Yes, you have to go through the entire process again from scratch if you lose your PR status.
- The government has access to flight manifests and also shares immigration data with certain other countries (notably the U.S.).
- No.

Reactions: YVR123

dphotawala

Star Member
Nov 16, 2018
- Exceptions are only granted if you have very strong H&C reasons for failing to meet the residency requirement. Needing to work or study outside of Canada aren't accepted as H&C reasons.
- Yes, you have to go through the entire process again from scratch if you lose your PR status.
- The government has access to flight manifests and also shares immigration data with certain other countries (notably the U.S.).
- No.
Can you please provide details on how the citizenship process works once the 1095 days (3 years) criteria is fulfilled? For eg: number of days and steps involved between start to finish (most importantly, the timeline involved in the process)

BTW, are days spent in Canada during visitor visa considered towards those 1095 days? Apparently, one of my friend claims that the days spent in Canada prior to receiving PR status can be counted towards citizenship requirement; however, its limited to a credit of half a day for each day spent. Can you please share some light on this as well?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Can you please provide details on how the citizenship process works once the 1095 days (3 years) criteria is fulfilled? For eg: number of days and steps involved between start to finish (most importantly, the timeline involved in the process)

BTW, are days spent in Canada during visitor visa considered towards those 1095 days? Apparently, one of my friend claims that the days spent in Canada prior to receiving PR status can be counted towards citizenship requirement; however, its limited to a credit of half a day for each day spent. Can you please share some light on this as well?
The steps are found on the IRCC web site below:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship.html

The times for each step are unique to each application.

Yes - your friend is right. You can count up to 1 year of the residency obligation this way.

Reactions: jes_ON