+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2-week holiday with valid pr card but did not meet RO

Alcippe

May 29, 2017
Hi,
We are from Belgium travelling to Canada on holiday next week. We received PR-status in 2018 but decided not to emigrate eventually and we do not want to keep our PR status.
We are now only going on holiday for a 2 week-trip next week. I applied for eTA-visum but just found out we cannot get eTA if we are still PR and we have to officially renounce PR to get an eTA-visum
Our PR cards are valid until August next year. Can we be denied entry if we can prove that we are only in Canda for a 2 week trip?
Please help!

Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,
We are from Belgium travelling to Canada on holiday next week. We received PR-status in 2018 but decided not to emigrate eventually and we do not want to keep our PR status.
We are now only going on holiday for a 2 week-trip next week. I applied for eTA-visum but just found out we cannot get eTA if we are still PR and we have to officially renounce PR to get an eTA-visum
Our PR cards are valid until August next year. Can we be denied entry if we can prove that we are only in Canda for a 2 week trip?
Please help!

Thank you!
You will definitely be allowed into Canada. It's possible you may be reported by CBSA when you enter Canada for failing to meet the residency obligation and they may trigger the process for your PR status to be officially revoked. However they will still let you enter Canada and you can stay for the 2 week holiday.

Alcippe

May 29, 2017
Hi,
I have one more question, yesterday I had already applied for an eTA visum before I realised that we still have pr-status. Shpuld I withdraw this application? If our eTA is declined (which normally should be the case), can we be prevented from boarding in Belgium, even though we have valid pr cards?
Thanks again!!