+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2 Valid Visitor Visas ?

baledj

Jan 10, 2019
I have applied my dad a TRV visa. Got the message for passport submission Jan 10, 2019. I didn't realize that his current Canadian visa is valid until Oct 2019. Will he have 2 visas? Or does it mean his old visa is automatically cancelled or do I have to inform the embassy for that? Don't they have to put a stamp on the old visa to mark it as cancelled?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
I have applied my dad a TRV visa. Got the message for passport submission Jan 10, 2019. I didn't realize that his current Canadian visa is valid until Oct 2019. Will he have 2 visas? Or does it mean his old visa is automatically cancelled or do I have to inform the embassy for that? Don't they have to put a stamp on the old visa to mark it as cancelled?
His current visa will be cancelled, and a new visa will be issued. Pretty surprising that a new TRV is being issued so far in advance

baledj

Jan 10, 2019
His current visa will be cancelled, and a new visa will be issued. Pretty surprising that a new TRV is being issued so far in advance
Thanks Bryanna! But for passport submission, do I need to include his previous passport with the current visa? It doesn't state on the passport submission letter to bring the old one. And if I submit it, will they be stamping it with a "cancelled" message? Or everything is just updated on their database and Immigration Officer should be able to see that? I am really hoping my dad won't have any issue with the Immigration Officer, as he is already a senior and probably would be confused if he will be asked. I will be travelling with him but I don't think the officer will allow me to answer on behalf of my dad.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Thanks Bryanna! But for passport submission, do I need to include his previous passport with the current visa? It doesn't state on the passport submission letter to bring the old one. And if I submit it, will they be stamping it with a "cancelled" message? Or everything is just updated on their database and Immigration Officer should be able to see that? I am really hoping my dad won't have any issue with the Immigration Officer, as he is already a senior and probably would be confused if he will be asked. I will be travelling with him but I don't think the officer will allow me to answer on behalf of my dad.
Quite honestly, it does not make sense. I assume he is traveling in the near future. There was no need to apply for a new TRV. With more than 9 months of TRV validity, IRCC does not normally issue a new TRV and applications are usually refused.

I can only think of these reasons:
1. Your dad applied stating his previous passport was damaged/lost. Probably not the case though.

2. IRCC has requested his passport NOT to issue a new TRV but to check for some other reason.

3. Your dad has a PR application in process

As he has already applied, just go with the flow. Do submit his current passport too along with the passport request letter, VFS consent form, fees, etc

baledj

Jan 10, 2019
Yes, we are visiting Niagara Falls in March via Bus Tour. It was really a mistake. I have submitted an application for him without looking at his current visa. I assumed it already expired (same as mine) as he renewed his passport recently even though it is still valid until Oct 2019. I also thought his application will just be cancelled as he doesn't need the new TRV but I got surprised when I received a message that his application also got approved. Anyway, I will be submitting our passports on Monday and would probably ask additional details to the agents there. Will post an update how it goes...

baledj

Jan 10, 2019
This is a late update. We got our passports back last Jan 18 and all 3 of us got TRV multiple entry until our passport's validity. So my dad did get a new visa. I asked the officer what will happen to the old one and she told me, it will be cancelled.