+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2 quick questions spouse visa

shanene

Jul 5, 2008
Hello I am a newbie to this site and very happy to find it.... I am a Canadian citizen currently in Indonesia with my husband and we are applying for his permanent resident visa....

2 quick questions...

1- Is it stronger to send my application from Indonesia or to go back in Canada and send it from there???

I can stay here or go home either way... (prefer to stay with my husband obviously) But also understand if we have to make a sacrifice for a stronger application...My ties to my country are stronger?? Ect...

2-Does anyone know someone who can check our Permanent Visa Application in Indonesia before we send them off to Canada (providing I stay in Indonesia) difficult to find so far...

I am not sure if we need to hire a lawyer as we just need a look over before we send it off....

Thank you so ooooo much!

Anshu & Arwan

Also

catarina

Sep 22, 2007
Hi there,

I'll try my best to answer your questions....I'm an applicant from Indonesia, sponsored by my canadian husband and just had my application approved, and now waiting for them to return my passport.

1- Is it stronger to send my application from Indonesia or to go back in Canada and send it from there???

Both ways should be treated the same. But it should be best for your husband to process the application from here, and fly to Canada when he has his PR approved, otherwise, you would have problems in extending his visa while waiting for the PR in Canada.

The process should take between 6 to 9 months from the date they received the application.

2-Does anyone know someone who can check our Permanent Visa Application in Indonesia before we send them off to Canada (providing I stay in Indonesia) difficult to find so far...

I don't think you can find anybody who does that unless you hire a lawyer or go through an agent which gonna cost a lot more. The application procedure is pretty clear on the website, we followed everything through the website, and you can use this forum to ask all different kind of things regarding the application (this forums has been a tremendous help throughout my application process)

basically, as long you can prove that your relationship is genuine, you shouldn't have any problems in processing your app.

I hope it helps, feel free to ask more question, Ill be happy to answer you...

regards,

Catarina

shanene

Jul 5, 2008
Hello Catarina.... Thank you for your response!

I am so happy to hear from you. It has been very difficult to find anyone in Indonesia with experience with Canadian visa's.

We have decided to go a head and not hire a representative or lawyer as they are all around RP30,000.000 We are looking for someone who has gone though the process to take a look at our papers before I take them back to Canada to check for any mistakes.

I am going to return to Canada July 31 to file the papers and my husband will stay here in Bali and we will both wait...

We would appreciate any details on your visa process if you would share with us....

Where are you from? Did you have an interview? How long did the whole process take? Did they look really strong on your husbands financial situation?

I am a little stressed out about not meeting the financial requirements as I have been traveling South east Asia for the past 8 months, although I own my own business....

I did have a friend who sponsord her husband and she had only made $7,000 in the year proceeding.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated...

Terima Kasih Banyak

Shannon and Arwan

catarina

Sep 22, 2007
Hi Shannon & Arwan,

my pleasure to help you, this site has been helping me a lot too, so now it's my turn.

I'm from Jakarta, here is my timeline so far:
Application sent to mississauga Nov 9th
Sponsorship approved Dec 5th
PR application processed Dec 19th
passport requested June 13th

I wasn't required to attend for an interview, they asked for additional document (only because I lived in Singapore for more than 6 months in the past, so they ask for Criminal record from Singapore) which caused a slight delay.

if your husband doesn't have any children (from previous marriage), than you don't have to meet any financial requirements. If he does, than you have a certain number to meet ,depending on how many people that you gonna support. there will be an additional form you need to fill up on this matter.

according to what I read, as long as you are not under government assistance, than you should be fine. But I think you should prove to them that you are employed. My husband was required to submit his last 12 months salary statement, and his bank details. I think just to prove that you are or will be capable to support the spouse, and not how much you are making.

and if you own a business, I think you can provide them with the tax info (i'm not sure what kind of paperwork that you need to provide if you own a business), the guide should tell you.

Catarina

jaenicole

Jul 7, 2008
Hi There Shanene:

I saw your question and wanted to tell you what a lawyer in Canada informed me of today.
I am in US and my spouse is in Canada and we are preparing to apply now.
You asked:

I was told that when applying for a PR card, it is always better to apply from your country. Reason being, Canada is about unification and bringing families together and they process applications of people living OUT OF CANADA first, because if you are in Canada WITH YOUR SPOUSE, there is no rush to bring you two together. He said it's approximately six months to process and get PR card, so it's best to just wait it out in your country.

I know there are lots of opinions and timelines, but I just wanted to inform you of what news I just received.

Best Wishes

shanene

Jul 5, 2008
Thank you jaenicole for your information... We appreciate all the information we can get, and from a lawyer it is very important...so thanks for posting!

It is a hard decsision to go back to Canada or stay in Indo with my husband... How does everyone do it???

I can not even imagine being away for 6 months....But I also understand if later it brings us together faster is is just a small sidestep we must take....

We have gone through the application and now just taking the next 3 weeks to fill out the forms before I return to Canada and send off the application...I have a few more questions about filling out the application...

1-Must I put NOT APPLICABLE in every box that is not applicable? or just some?

2-I am only sponsoring my spouse what box do we check off on the sponsorship evaluation form? -
"Number of family members & person included in undertaking in effect and not yet in effect"
Yourself__1?
Current undertaking_1?

3-My husband was refused a visitor visa 2 x in the past, which box do I check off? On the Schedule 1 background/declaration form:
"Been refused refugee status in, or an immigrant or PR or visitor visa to, Canada or any other country"__
OR
" Been refused admission to, or orderd to leave Canada or any other country?"___

4-Do we include "Details of family members" on the Application for permanent residence in Canada form if my husband is the only applicant?
We were told by a friend do not include their details or they will think they are coming with my husband but the form states-"You must include the following details about each family members, whether accompanying you or not." We are confused???

Thank you in advance for your feedback!!!

Anshu and Arwan