+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2 quick questions I need help with!

Jack_Scarlett

Aug 25, 2013
Ontario Canada (as a visitor)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi there!

Im filling out my visitor extension form (first time doing so) I just have two questions Im a little concerned about. The first page of the letter it says
UCI (I'm aware I dont have one as it's my first time filling this out) However it says next to it "*I want service in" I'm not sure what it's asking? It has a star before. Does this pertain to the UCI number?

Also, further into the application it is asking for "funds available for stay CAD" I'm not sure what to put, because my fiance is supporting me, he lives pay check to pay check, but works full time, and while we dont have much in the bank (Maybe about $300 dollars) He makes enough to comfortably support me. Any input on what I should fill in?

One last question (sorry!) It says "purpose of my visit" Is putting "to establish common law marriage with my fiance" acceptable? That is the reason I'm here, My fiance also wrote a letter explaining this and that he is/has been financially supporting me since I arrived. Just wondering if putting that as my "purpose" on the application would be ok, or if that might be a bad idea!

Thank you for your time and input. I much appreciate it :)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Jack_Scarlett said:
UCI (I'm aware I dont have one as it's my first time filling this out) However it says next to it "*I want service in" I'm not sure what it's asking? It has a star before. Does this pertain to the UCI number?

Also, further into the application it is asking for "funds available for stay CAD" I'm not sure what to put, because my fiance is supporting me, he lives pay check to pay check, but works full time, and while we dont have much in the bank (Maybe about $300 dollars) He makes enough to comfortably support me. Any input on what I should fill in?

One last question (sorry!) It says "purpose of my visit" Is putting "to establish common law marriage with my fiance" acceptable? That is the reason I'm here, My fiance also wrote a letter explaining this and that he is/has been financially supporting me since I arrived. Just wondering if putting that as my "purpose" on the application would be ok, or if that might be a bad idea!
"I want service in" is a new question, nothing to do with the UCI. There is an drop-down menu in the same box, it's asking whether you want service in English or French.

Add up his salary for however long you are asking for, i.e. for a 6 month extension, put down 6 months of income. Include copies of his pay stubs.

Many others have had no issue putting "to become common-law with my Canadian partner" as the reason for the extension.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Regina said:
Not so sure. usually they say- get married and apply for sponsorship from OUTside of Canada.
No, they don't usually say that.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They do. Recently a Swiss citizen tried to come into Canada to "live with her Canadian husband". Well, she was adviced at POE to start their sponsorship from Switzerland.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Regina said:
They do. Recently a Swiss citizen tried to come into Canada to "live with her Canadian husband". Well, she was adviced at POE to start their sponsorship from Switzerland.
First, telling the border officers she was coming to "live" in Canada was her mistake and I'm guessing that there is more to the story than just that, as most people in that situation are not refused entry even if they say something that stupid.

Second, you are comparing situations that are ENTIRELY different. That person was trying to enter Canada; OP is ALREADY IN Canada.

So I say again, no, they don't do that. When a person in Canada applies to extend their stay to become common-law with their Canadian partner, CIC does not tell them to get married and apply outland; provided they show sufficient finances, CIC approves the extension.

Jack_Scarlett

Aug 25, 2013
Ontario Canada (as a visitor)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
May I ask what "sufficient finances" are?

My fiance makes $11 an hour, approximately 40 hours a week, about $350 - $400 a week. Would this be sufficient in the CIC's requirements for him to support me?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Jack_Scarlett said:
May I ask what "sufficient finances" are?

My fiance makes $11 an hour, approximately 40 hours a week, about $350 - $400 a week. Would this be sufficient in the CIC's requirements for him to support me?
CIC doesn't have a set amount. As long as he can pay all his bills and fully support you as well, it should be fine.