+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2 part-time semesters will effect PGWP?

thatniceboy

Aug 29, 2019
It does not matter whether you academic advisor approves you to take the courses or not. Your advisor's letter must convince your reasons to take part-time courses in the 5th semester. You must ask your advisor to explain the reason why this decision has to be made academically. But, again. all the decisions are up to the IRCC officer who will be looking at your case.

What's done is already done. I see no other ways. My advice is to get your department to write a fully explanatory letter as to why you had to be part-time student on the 5th semester to convince the IRCC officer. There is still a risk, but you cannot graduate otherwise you take the 6th semester so!

Good luck!
what about taking only one class during summer ?

droolphase

Sep 26, 2022
I was in the same boat 4 years ago. I ended up going for 4 part time semesters. I was even able to renew my study visa for my part time semesters before getting my work permit without any hustle and now I am permanent resident as well.

So, I would recommend you not to lay stress on these things. As long as you are not losing your status you are absolutely fine.
Thanks for sharing -- very heartening. What do you mean "without any hustle"? Did you provide a letter of explanation ?

droolphase

Sep 26, 2022
I was in exactly same situation as you. Please attach LOE with your PGWP application. If you can get some explanation letter from your faculty, that is better. I got 3 years of PGWP with that!
Are you able to expand on what your situation was ? Am in a tricky situation with having been part-time so I'm trying to learn from those who've navigated this previously.

davidayerite

May 12, 2023
hi everyone,
I’m currently studying an 8 semester full time program and this program only runs during the fall and winter semester. Unfortunately for me, I failed a course in my second semester. I have already registered as a part-time student for this one course during this Spring 2023 semester. Would I still be eligible to receive a PGWP when I want to apply for one?
Thank you.

Kashyap@1004

Dec 5, 2023
hello everyone.
I am currently studying a two year diploma course in architecture and due to some reasons I failed a subject twice as it was too hard for me to pass with financial load. due to which I am in a part time semester right now but as that subject was having prerequisite requirements, I am still left with two subjects which I am going to take in next semester. But should I take the next semester part time as it is too risky for my PGWP application to get approval. I am backing off because of financial situation as am not that stable to pay full-time fees. I need your suggestion in this situation.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
hello everyone.
I am currently studying a two year diploma course in architecture and due to some reasons I failed a subject twice as it was too hard for me to pass with financial load. due to which I am in a part time semester right now but as that subject was having prerequisite requirements, I am still left with two subjects which I am going to take in next semester. But should I take the next semester part time as it is too risky for my PGWP application to get approval. I am backing off because of financial situation as am not that stable to pay full-time fees. I need your suggestion in this situation.
To be eligible for a PGWP, you can only be part time for your last semester. So if you are part time now, then you are not eligible. All you can do is apply and see if approved, if lucky.

P00tttt

Dec 20, 2023
Hello,
I’m really depressed just because I have completed my all the courses but still facing with gpa after completed my all the course I took 2 courses to complete my gpa and then still it was less than 2 I didn’t get gpa for graduated myself and now I have to take 1 more course for the gpa. Is there any issue for my work permit plz suggest me??