+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2 one year back to back PG courses in Canada???

rituritz

Oct 5, 2012
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
NOC Code......
O
App. Filed.......
20-06-2013
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
21-06-2013
Med's Done....
1-06-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Yesssssssssssss......
LANDED..........
12-august-2013
I am planning to do 2 one year back to back PG courses in Canada.
Will I still be able to apply for 3 years work permit or not?

aman singh

Oct 26, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-03-2011
Med's Done....
20-03-2011
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
24-03-2011
LANDED..........
28-04-2011
No,
you will get 2 year PGWP.

chaitnay7777

Star Member
Nov 2, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
then u should consider the progrm in centinnal also it is 2 yr progrm.....

rituritz

Oct 5, 2012
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
NOC Code......
O
App. Filed.......
20-06-2013
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
21-06-2013
Med's Done....
1-06-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Yesssssssssssss......
LANDED..........
12-august-2013
aman singh said:
No,
you will get 2 year PGWP.
is it for sure that if I go for 2 different course but both are PG courses. Would I be able to get 2 years work permit?

aman singh

Oct 26, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-03-2011
Med's Done....
20-03-2011
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
24-03-2011
LANDED..........
28-04-2011
If the official length of your program of study is:

less than eight months
you are not eligible for this program
less than two years but more than eight months
you may get a work permit for a period no longer than the length of your program of study (for example, if you studied for nine months, a work permit may be issued for a period of nine months)
two years or more
a work permit may be issued for three years

You program is of 1 year length x 2 . So you will get 2 year work permit. I'm sure about it.
It is better to take program of 2 academic year [16 months], And you will get 3 year PGWP.

prokrito

Star Member
Apr 2, 2013
Dhaka
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The Offer Letter is like this

Fanshawe College ID: *******
DOB: ******
Type of School: Public
Program of Study: FSP1 - Professional Financial Services and ITB1 - International Business Management, London Campus
Academic Status: Full-Time
Level of Study: Post Graduate Program
Semester of Study: Level 1
Starting Date: 09/03/13 (mm/dd/yy)
Length of Program: 2 Years
Expected Date of Completion: 04/30/15 (mm/dd/yy)

if the position is like this, what will be the situation?

prokrito

Star Member
Apr 2, 2013
Dhaka
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It May Help

Clarification on the eligibility of combined programs for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program and the last semester of study:

Students holding a one-year graduate degree, diploma or certificate from a participating institution in Canada after having obtained, within the prior two years, a certificate, a diploma or degree from a participating institution in Canada may qualify for a three-year work permit. This exception also applies to students who have left Canada temporarily between programs of study.

Note: Participating institutions include the following: Canadian university, community college, CEGEP, publicly funded trade/technical school, or a private institution authorized by provincial/territorial statue to confer degrees (but only if the applicant received the credential in a program of study leading to a degree as authorized by the province and not in all programs of study offered by the private institution).

Example 1: A student who obtained a one‑year MBA from a provincially or territorially accredited post-secondary institution in Canada after having obtained a one-year diploma, no more than two years before obtaining the MBA, would be allowed to cumulate both degrees and therefore would be eligible for a three-year post-graduation work permit.

Example 2: A student who obtained a one-year diploma or certificate from a participating institution in Canada after having obtained a degree in Canada at the same or in a different participating institution within the previous two years would be allowed to cumulate both educational credentials and therefore would be eligible for a three-year post-graduation work permit.

Example 3: A student attends a foreign post-secondary institution and transfers to a participating institution in Canada in order to complete their studies. Under this scenario, if the qualifying educational credential is issued at an institution outside of Canada, they would not qualify for a Post-Graduation Work Permit. However, if they did receive their educational credential from a participating Canadian institution, they may be eligible for a Post-Graduation Work Permit only for the length of time they studied in Canada.

Example 4: A student attends their first year at a private post-secondary educational institution in Canada not eligible under this program but then transfers to a participating post-secondary institution. Under this scenario they may be eligible for a post-graduation work permit program but only for the length of time they studied at the participating post-secondary institution.

rituritz

Oct 5, 2012
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
NOC Code......
O
App. Filed.......
20-06-2013
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
21-06-2013
Med's Done....
1-06-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Yesssssssssssss......
LANDED..........
12-august-2013
Guyz thanks for your reply...
Meanz if I apply for 1 year PG course now as I don't have any other option for September 2013 and would take admission in next PG course after completion of this and then after 2 years of study(1+1 PG courses), I'll get minimum 2 years of work permit.

student_2013

Star Member
Feb 2, 2014
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16 June 2014
Med's Request
1st December 2014
Med's Done....
6th December 2014
PLEASE IGNORE MY Earlier Post

aman singh said:
If the official length of your program of study is:

less than eight months
you are not eligible for this program
less than two years but more than eight months
you may get a work permit for a period no longer than the length of your program of study (for example, if you studied for nine months, a work permit may be issued for a period of nine months)
two years or more
a work permit may be issued for three years

You program is of 1 year length x 2 . So you will get 2 year work permit. I'm sure about it.
It is better to take program of 2 academic year [16 months], And you will get 3 year PGWP.

Please suggest about the length of PGWP in below scenario

I take a 2 Year study permit on the basis of a 2 Years Master Degree (30 Credits) in British Columbia. But after Landing I change my program to 1 Year Post Degree diploma (30 Credits) in BC. After completing my 1 year PG diploma I join back the 2 Year Master degree and complete it within 1 year. Hence, I will be taking total of 60 Credits by completing two courses on a single 2 year work permit

Am I voilating any rule??

Will there be any problem in getting PGWP? What will be the duration of PGWP?

gkb8062

Star Member
Nov 22, 2013
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rituritz said:
I am planning to do 2 one year back to back PG courses in Canada.
Will I still be able to apply for 3 years work permit or not?
only on one condition you will get 3 yr PGWP if your both back to back PG course of having 1 Year each (3 semester) not of 2 Semesters, because according to Canadian standard , full time 1 year study consist of 3 semester.

so 1 yr (3 semester ) + 1 yr (3 semester) will give you 3 yr PGWP.

but for instance if any of the course among back to back is 1 yr (2 semester) 90% chances are you will not get 3 yr PGWP.

rest depends on VO.

tc..

there is no difference between 2 Year Masters and 2 Years diploma course.. suppose someone has done 2 years Masters he/she will not gonna get special treat when comes to PGWP..

lots of factors to considered when issuing PGWP like.

1. Total credits earned in course,, does not matter its Masters/ 2 Year Diploma
2. total contact hours the applicants gained.. (VO will check this with official Transcripts provided by the college)
3. your final grades and attendance credentials

i am telling you all these from Canadian education standard point of view.

if you are interested for 2 one year back to back diplomas// certificate programs , cross check the following:

1. total no. of Semester in single year, if its 3 semester then no problem.
2. total Diploma/ certificate credits.
3. contact hours per week.

tc...

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
because according to Canadian standard , full time 1 year study consist of 3 semester.
This is not true. Regular (certificate, diploma, bachelor degree, post-bacc) full time is 15+ (depends on university) hours per week of studies.
15+ credits per semester.

The only difference is in terms of Masters there are less courses and therefore credits for courses but there are a lot of reading and projects. However, I just never heard about Masters program with 30 credits for TWO years. :eek:

LuvDuggal

Star Member
Mar 28, 2013
Vancouver
Visa Office......
Vancouver
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
8(R-7 L-8.5 W-6 S-7.5)
gkb8062 said:
only on one condition you will get 3 yr PGWP if your both back to back PG course of having 1 Year each (3 semester) not of 2 Semesters, because according to Canadian standard , full time 1 year study consist of 3 semester.

so 1 yr (3 semester ) + 1 yr (3 semester) will give you 3 yr PGWP.

but for instance if any of the course among back to back is 1 yr (2 semester) 90% chances are you will not get 3 yr PGWP.

rest depends on VO.

tc..

there is no difference between 2 Year Masters and 2 Years diploma course.. suppose someone has done 2 years Masters he/she will not gonna get special treat when comes to PGWP..

lots of factors to considered when issuing PGWP like.

1. Total credits earned in course,, does not matter its Masters/ 2 Year Diploma
2. total contact hours the applicants gained.. (VO will check this with official Transcripts provided by the college)
3. your final grades and attendance credentials

i am telling you all these from Canadian education standard point of view.

if you are interested for 2 one year back to back diplomas// certificate programs , cross check the following:

1. total no. of Semester in single year, if its 3 semester then no problem.
2. total Diploma/ certificate credits.
3. contact hours per week.

tc...
I came in JANUARY 2014 and took MASTERS IN INFORMATION SYSTEMS SECURITY MANAGEMENT in Concordia University College of Alberta and my STUDY PERMIT is valid till April 2016 , now i have taken 12 courses and got 36 CREDITS. but there is an issue with research work so i am planning to take diploma instead of MASTERS that is an 18 credits course(out of 36) which will end in December 2014

Now i am taking Certificate/Credit course of 8 months of Network Technician in SAIT. that is a 33 Credit course which begins in (April 2015 - December 2015)

Total Credits 36 (Diploma + 18 extra) + 33 credits(Sait certificate) = 69 credits

5 semesters in total ( 3 in diploma and 2 in certificate)

Questions

1. What are the chances of getting 3 years post grad work permit?

2. Can i work full time in between two courses (jan 2015 - april 2015)?

3. Do i have to apply for new study permit when i take up a new course?

Nirav1218

Oct 10, 2014
Hi if i do ISM one year PG course (total 42 credits ) at fanshawe college and then if i apply for another 1 year PG course then will i get 3 year work permit ?

and One more quetion :

may i take any business related course after Information security management as i did Master of computer science in information technology . will they reject my visa because my study profile is related to computer .
because my sister and brother in law have business (3 provisional store in ontario) ... so i can get easily Job offer letter from them. OR it is restricted to study out of your field ? must i take computer related course after 1 year (Information security management ) PG course . :(
please guys reply

srk94

Feb 1, 2015
Many colleges offer one year PG courses. And you get a 3 year work permit if you do 2 back to back one year programs. You can contact and confirm it with the universities/colleges you are interested in.

Paul Dipta

Jul 9, 2018
Many colleges offer one year PG courses. And you get a 3-year work permit if you do 2 back to back one-year programs. You can contact and confirm it with the universities/colleges you are interested in.
Hello, Can you tell me how to apply for 2 back to back 1 year PG programme? I have a dilemma that if firstly I do apply for 1 year PG programme and if I got selected then before completing the 1-year programme can I apply for another PG programme so that I can combine both the programme and apply for up to 3-years PGWP?

Please reply.

Reactions: Anjali Raj