+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

183 present days per year rule question

MountainLife

Sep 9, 2013
Hey everyone,

Just curious, my partner (Canadian citizen) is keen on doing a 1 year working holiday program in my native Australia. I've been a PR for 2 years currently and am in the middle of the new citizenship laws and waiting out my 4 to apply.

Does anyone know if the 183 days present per year requirement is during a calendar year? (ie Jan 1 - Dec 31)

Which leads me to my 2nd question:

Could I combine the two half years either side of the calendar year to help her have a full year in Aus and still meet my citizenship requirements?

Kind regards :)

nope

Oct 3, 2015
Yes, it is per calendar year.

Yes, of course if you leave Canada for 180 days at the end of one year, and come back 180 days into the next year, you'll have 183+ for both those years.

turboracer

Jul 20, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MountainLife said:
Hey everyone,

Just curious, my partner (Canadian citizen) is keen on doing a 1 year working holiday program in my native Australia. I've been a PR for 2 years currently and am in the middle of the new citizenship laws and waiting out my 4 to apply.

Does anyone know if the 183 days present per year requirement is during a calendar year? (ie Jan 1 - Dec 31)

Which leads me to my 2nd question:

Could I combine the two half years either side of the calendar year to help her have a full year in Aus and still meet my citizenship requirements?

Kind regards :)
You have to stay 6 months every year

aloksh25

Star Member
Jan 10, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
YOU have to in a calendar year and its mandatory for citizenship
good luck