+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

17-Year Old Step-son

MattFS218

Apr 2, 2016
Hello and TIA.

My step-son turns 18 in December. I will be applying to sponsor him in March. Because the processing time is over 12-months, my step-son will likely already have turned 18 by the time he is approved for PR. My questions are

1) will they likely require all 18+ documents to be submitted before granting PR -or- will submitting the application while he is 17, mean they won't ask for them
2) my step-son has been estranged from his biological father since before his birth. My spouse who is Thai, has a translated letter from the government saying she has parental power over my step-son. Is this document likely sufficient? If it's not, since he will be over 18+ by the time they finalize the application, are they able to waive the requirement? -or- must we reapply

Also, regarding PCCs. We travel a lot as a family. The primary applicant has never been physically present in Chile more than 3 consecutive months, but will have spent about 5 months physically present in Chile in the past year at the time of application. She will be applying from Chile, even though she holds a Thai passport. She has a Chile ID card. Is she required to submit a Chile PCC at time of application? Will the officer request a Chile PCC if s/he deems necessary or simply reject the application? On the checklist of documents, it says only if she has lived in Chile over 6 months, so I interpret that as a Chile PCC is not required.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello and TIA.

My step-son turns 18 in December. I will be applying to sponsor him in March. Because the processing time is over 12-months, my step-son will likely already have turned 18 by the time he is approved for PR. My questions are

1) will they likely require all 18+ documents to be submitted before granting PR -or- will submitting the application while he is 17, mean they won't ask for them
2) my step-son has been estranged from his biological father since before his birth. My spouse who is Thai, has a translated letter from the government saying she has parental power over my step-son. Is this document likely sufficient? If it's not, since he will be over 18+ by the time they finalize the application, are they able to waive the requirement? -or- must we reapply

Also, regarding PCCs. We travel a lot as a family. The primary applicant has never been physically present in Chile more than 3 consecutive months, but will have spent about 5 months physically present in Chile in the past year at the time of application. She will be applying from Chile, even though she holds a Thai passport. She has a Chile ID card. Is she required to submit a Chile PCC at time of application? Will the officer request a Chile PCC if s/he deems necessary or simply reject the application? On the checklist of documents, it says only if she has lived in Chile over 6 months, so I interpret that as a Chile PCC is not required.
1. No, he doesn't submit 18+ documents. Age is locked in at the time of applying.

2. Is it an actual legal custody document from the courts? If not, no guarantees IRCC will accept it. As above, age is locked in, so it doesn't matter how old he is when the app is finalized. The custody doc is needed.

A Chile PCC is not required.

Reactions: MattFS218

MattFS218

Apr 2, 2016
Thanks canuck_in_uk. An immigration consultant would of charged me $200, and taken a week to reply, so thank you!

My step-son has been estranged from his biological father since before birth, and my spouse was never married to his father, so having him sign IMM5604E is near impossible. Thai law gives unmarried mothers full custody. We have a letter from the government stating that my spouse has full parental power over my step-son, and we have used this to get visitor visas to Europe, USA, and Canada before.

Do you have any recommendations on what other documents we could provide in lieu of IMM5604? I was told by a consultant that I should include a letter stating that we are unable to locate his biological father, and that should be sufficient. Any thoughts?

Thanks again!

Reactions: DiiDii

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks canuck_in_uk. An immigration consultant would of charged me $200, and taken a week to reply, so thank you!

My step-son has been estranged from his biological father since before birth, and my spouse was never married to his father, so having him sign IMM5604E is near impossible. Thai law gives unmarried mothers full custody. We have a letter from the government stating that my spouse has full parental power over my step-son, and we have used this to get visitor visas to Europe, USA, and Canada before.

Do you have any recommendations on what other documents we could provide in lieu of IMM5604? I was told by a consultant that I should include a letter stating that we are unable to locate his biological father, and that should be sufficient. Any thoughts?

Thanks again!
If she has default full custody by law, then it should be fine. There is a similar law for the Philippines and IRCC accepts it. You can certainly include a letter about the father being gone.

Reactions: MattFS218