+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

?

viktorh48

Aug 14, 2013
Hello Everyone,

Can someone lose PR if being audited? and ll this have an impact on acquiring citizenship ?

thanks in advance

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are convicted of a crime, you can lose your PR and if you lose your PR, you can't apply for citizenship.

You don't lose your PR just for being audited. However, if you are found guilty of tax fraud and go to prison, immigration may revoke your PR and send you packing.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In addition to that if you have lied to obtain your PR and citizenship, falsely represented yourself or falsely made statements when applying for PR then you will loose it.

viktorh48

Aug 14, 2013
so who do I have to believe , ll I lose PR for being audited or not ? Leon ? Im deadly scared

everything is an early stage now, I ll definitely try to negotiate with CRA to avoid going to court and possible criminal conviction.

Newtone,no, I have not misrepresented myself, so that isnt a problem.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can not lose PR for being audited just like you can not lose PR merely for having been accused of a crime. You would have to be convicted of a crime before you could lose your PR and even then they take into consideration how serious the crime was, if it was violent crime, are you self-supporting, do you have skills, is your family in Canada, is there a war situation in your home country etc. etc. You can read about this here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/enf/enf05-eng.pdf

However, to avoid hassle, don't commit crimes. Simple as that.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I agree with Leon.

Your PR won't be lost just because of an audit.

However if that audit uncovers illegal activity that leads to a conviction - that's an entirely different story.

viktorh48

Aug 14, 2013
no, i have never been convicted of any other crime anywhere. I don't even drink. have a clean record,never been in any fight with anyone.
yes, I have been in Canada for past 7 years , never went back to my home country, because its life-threatening for me. I know a lot of people claim that, but in my case it really IS life-death matter. I just made a mistake, other 6 returns were filed on time and everything was ok. have been PR for the past 2 years. Im SO stressed, its hard to even sleep.

Thanks to both of you

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If all you did was not file on time, I don't think that is so bad. If they find that you have been cheating on your taxes, that could be bad.

viktorh48

Aug 14, 2013
if an audit uncovers illegal activity, ll that automatically lead to a criminal conviction ? or can I make payment arrangements with them ? ll make an appointment with a lawyer tomorrow.

sorry for that many questions

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
viktorh48 said:
if an audit uncovers illegal activity, ll that automatically lead to a criminal conviction ? or can I make payment arrangements with them ? ll make an appointment with a lawyer tomorrow.

sorry for that many questions
There's no way we can answer that. It depends on the illegal activity.

viktorh48

Aug 14, 2013
ll they consider making a mistake on your tax return as an illegal activity ? Im a student, so obviously dont earn billions. Just dont want to get a conviction. so so scared! jesus! can't believe this happened to me! have to consult a lawyer.

many thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you made a mistake, I doubt you will be convicted. It depends on what you did.

I once forgot to declare a check that was paid to me by my union as benefits. I didn't even get audited, CRA just noticed my mistake and fixed it.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Comon share with us your secret, its not like we know how you look like or where you live. This is the best part about the forums, you can say all you want without any accountability or transparency.

viktorh48

Aug 14, 2013
Thank you Leon, It was something like that, talked with the lawyer and he doesn't think, its a problem. I now have to wait what CRA has to say.

Newtone, I don't think sharing my story ll save me, if they think that I did something wrong. at one point or another, I (or whoever made a mistake) still ll be held accountable.I just really can't go back to my homeland that's why its extremely important, to have a clean record. you couldnt give me a million dollars, to commit any type of crime. I hope they ll consider it as a mistake and correct it.