+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

16 year old wants to move in with my family in canada.

beepboop.val

Sep 26, 2021
How do I get my 16-year American boyfriend a Permanent residence to live in Canada with me. Okay so long story short, I met this guy online, and we quickly fell in love... He got to know my family, and they got to know him, they love the kid. He has issues at home in Pennsylvania and wants to move in with me in Ottawa, Canada, keep in mind we're both 16. My parents agreed to get him moved here in with us, but the only issue we're having is how would we get him here to permanently stay? He is Muslim and his parents would be very upset if he told them what his future plans are, but we love each other, and we know we're meant to be so do our parents... So please if you have any information on how we could get him to live with us let me know. <333

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
How do I get my 16-year American boyfriend a Permanent residence to live in Canada with me. Okay so long story short, I met this guy online, and we quickly fell in love... He got to know my family, and they got to know him, they love the kid. He has issues at home in Pennsylvania and wants to move in with me in Ottawa, Canada, keep in mind we're both 16. My parents agreed to get him moved here in with us, but the only issue we're having is how would we get him here to permanently stay? He is Muslim and his parents would be very upset if he told them what his future plans are, but we love each other, and we know we're meant to be so do our parents... So please if you have any information on how we could get him to live with us let me know. <333
There are no ways for your bf to easily move to Canada except getting him a study permit to attend public high school in Canada and he will need to show that he can find his schooling and housing so around 25k/yr. if he has the funds it would be best for him to wait and study at university unless he has access to a large amount of funds then he can try applying for a study permit for high school.

beepboop.val

Sep 26, 2021
There are no ways for your bf to easily move to Canada except getting him a study permit to attend public high school in Canada and he will need to show that he can find his schooling and housing so around 25k/yr. if he has the funds it would be best for him to wait and study at university unless he has access to a large amount of funds then he can try applying for a study permit for high school.
My parents are willing to enroll him in the local public highschool with me. would he still need that 25k a year?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My parents are willing to enroll him in the local public highschool with me. would he still need that 25k a year?
He can’t enrol in the local public school as a visitor unless he gets a study permit and he will need to pay international fees that are usually 10k+. He will also need a guardian and custodian. He will need to show that he has the 25k to pay for school and living costs even if your parents allow him to stay at your home for free. Unfortunately there are often relationships that breakdown and so he needs to show proof that he can afford to pay for his living costs if necessary.

Reactions: YVR123 and Naturgrl

BanukaKA

Sep 27, 2021
He can apply for a multiple entry visit visa
So he can move to Canada stay there for six months
After every 6 months he has to cross the border back to US and come back
Most commonly this kind of visa is vaild till his passports expiery date
Some one from Canada can then sponser him
But he cant work or study in Canada anyway unless he get a work permit later or a study permit
Then after he turns 18 there will be a few more options for him to settle in canada permenently

I dont know much about any further regulations or stuff related to this
So its better if you can hire or contact a proffesional immigration consultant or any such skilled person for this

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes, he would still need $25K per year. He will need to pay $15K in tuition each year to attend your local high school and will need to show he has an additional $10K to cover living expenses (even if he is living with your parents). Are your parents willing to pay $15K per year for him to be able to attend your local high school?

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
When I was 16 I was in love too.. and since then, a lot of different loves have come and go. Why don't you do a long distance relationship instead until he is old enough? That is a good way of finding out if he is the right one or not.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
He lives in Pennsylvania is he required to get his parents' permission?
Since he's under 18, he should really have a letter of consent from his parents. Otherwise he may run into issues at the border.

Going back to a previous question, are your parents prepared to pay $15,000 in tuition costs per year for him to attend your high school? This will be required.

MJSPARV

Sep 17, 2020
Age of majority in Pennsylvania is 18. He will likely need consent.
As a former Pennsylvanian, I agree he will almost definitely need parental consent. He may even need it to get a passport if he doesn't already have one.

Additionally, like some one else said earlier, you are 16. Have you spent time together in person or just online? The Canadian border is open to fully vaccinated travelers, and I'd strongly suggest you guys meet in person if you haven't already before you continue to make plans for him to move in with you. No matter your age, online relationships often fizzle in person.

Reactions: YVR123