+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

153 Days requirement not met for OHIP

rehanacca

Apr 22, 2017
Hi everyone, i searched on this topic a lot and even on OHIP website but couldn't find a clear answer. I had to return my country shortly after landing and had already applied for OHIP when i was there. I know that i don't meet the requirement of staying 153 days of 183 days immediately after landing in September. But what is the solution now if i plan to go back to ontario after 6 months of my first landing.

I haven't received my OHIP card yet. I want to know:

* I plan to take private insurance for first three months when i move again. Is this the correct move?
* How can i get my OHIP back on track and when i will be eligible.
* Do i contact and inform OHIP on my absence? i don't intend to use OHIP anyway until three months pass after i move.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You should not have applied for OHIP on a soft landing and you should have called OHIP if you planned to leave Canada for an extended amount of time. You can contact them now and explain that you incorrectly applied for OHIP and you don't meet the residency requirement and you have been out of Canada for X amount of time. When you arrive in Canada you go back to Service Ontario and explain that you incorrectly signed up for OHIP the first time and now that you have moved to Ontario you are ready to start the 3 month waiting period again. Yes you should buy insurance for 3 months,

Reactions: rehanacca

Anna007

Star Member
Jul 4, 2018
Vancouver
It is always better to inform OHIP on your absence. Just give them a call and explain the situation, they might just get you back on track but most likely you will have to start a new waiting period.
Regarding your private insurance for the first three months you can het it here?

Reactions: rehanacca