+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

153 day out of 180 day eligibility

Jim Irich

Oct 13, 2019
My wife entered Canada and we got the Health card back in 2017. Unfortunately she had to leave Canada in 135 days for 45 days. She was back after 45 days and the health card seems to be valid. I am just reading about the 153 day requirement. Since then she has travelled once more for 45 days. Now since last year she been in the province continuously for more than 153 days(hence meeting both requirements of first 180 days and 153 days in a year).
She is pregnant and we are expecting a baby next month. A few questions:
1)Since i found this out should i inform Service ontario and have the health card revised from the date she actually resided 153 days in a stretch?
2)How do we prove residency for 153 days requirement in a stretch.
3)How would Service Ontario react to such cases as her delivery is just a month away and we cant have her cancelled now?
4)We cant have the card cancelled and begin residency from scratch as well. I assume its already taken care of. Will there be an audit on such situations and if so how people prove residency?

Anyone in this situation? Kindly help address this in the best possible manner.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
My wife entered Canada and we got the Health card back in 2017. Unfortunately she had to leave Canada in 135 days for 45 days. She was back after 45 days and the health card seems to be valid. I am just reading about the 153 day requirement. Since then she has travelled once more for 45 days. Now since last year she been in the province continuously for more than 153 days(hence meeting both requirements of first 180 days and 153 days in a year).
She is pregnant and we are expecting a baby next month. A few questions:
1)Since i found this out should i inform Service ontario and have the health card revised from the date she actually resided 153 days in a stretch?
2)How do we prove residency for 153 days requirement in a stretch.
3)How would Service Ontario react to such cases as her delivery is just a month away and we cant have her cancelled now?
4)We cant have the card cancelled and begin residency from scratch as well. I assume its already taken care of. Will there be an audit on such situations and if so how people prove residency?

Anyone in this situation? Kindly help address this in the best possible manner.
I suspect that there will be no problem if the card was not used at any time before she again became eligible for cover.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
How long has she actually been in Canada in 2018 and 2019 and when did she start using her health card to visit a doctor? She would have had to wait 3 months from when she was out of Canada to use her health card. Knowing she was going to be out of Canada she should have never applied for the health card in the first place. Residency can be proved by entry stamps, use of banking in Canada, etc.

Last edited: