+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

1000 Bridge bad experience Open work permit

Tigre200820

Dec 26, 2019
We arrive to Canada the past December 20, I'm international student and my husband came with visitor visa, at here we though to change his status doing flagpoling to get for him a open work permit.

I have read a lot of threads about what places are easy to do flagpoling than other ones, so We choose Thousands bridge.

We decided to drive there, when we arrive at night maybe at 8 pm we talked with a USA officer about our purpose of do flagpoling, he made some regular questions about us and our past travels to USA after that He sent us with another official who took our car keys and sent us to an office, in that office the we waited about 15 minutes to end the procedure with a kind official. After that we returned to Canada, ON the border we explained to official that we was there for to search the possibility of a work permit for my husband... He asked us some questions and after sent us to the boarder building, in that place an officer of immigration asked us what we wanted... I was a little nervous and tired so I don't know if I was not really cordially or respectful but I asked: "I would like for my husband a work permit while I'm studying here" she asked why we didn't do it when we arrived or online... She said that wasn't the place to do it and said us thst we have to do it by internet or appointment a date by phone with IRCC... She saw the date when we arrived to Canadá... After one trip of more than 400 km we leave the place and returned to our house.

I don't know what I did wrong and if I can try again maybe in other boarder, we need that wp soon because we expect thst he can works here and help to pay the life cost of studying...

Any recommendations are welcomed.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
We arrive to Canada the past December 20, I'm international student and my husband came with visitor visa, at here we though to change his status doing flagpoling to get for him a open work permit.

I have read a lot of threads about what places are easy to do flagpoling than other ones, so We choose Thousands bridge.

We decided to drive there, when we arrive at night maybe at 8 pm we talked with a USA officer about our purpose of do flagpoling, he made some regular questions about us and our past travels to USA after that He sent us with another official who took our car keys and sent us to an office, in that office the we waited about 15 minutes to end the procedure with a kind official. After that we returned to Canada, ON the border we explained to official that we was there for to search the possibility of a work permit for my husband... He asked us some questions and after sent us to the boarder building, in that place an officer of immigration asked us what we wanted... I was a little nervous and tired so I don't know if I was not really cordially or respectful but I asked: "I would like for my husband a work permit while I'm studying here" she asked why we didn't do it when we arrived or online... She said that wasn't the place to do it and said us thst we have to do it by internet or appointment a date by phone with IRCC... She saw the date when we arrived to Canadá... After one trip of more than 400 km we leave the place and returned to our house.

I don't know what I did wrong and if I can try again maybe in other boarder, we need that wp soon because we expect thst he can works here and help to pay the life cost of studying...

Spouses of international students are not guaranteed a work permit. This was not something you can flagpole.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

He needs to apply online to change his status to worker. It will be many months before he can work.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
SOWP flagpoling looks risky since there they are not really guaranteed, but also you picked a terrible time and possibly location.

Tigre200820

Dec 26, 2019
I don't know what to do because our immigration agents said us, go to Canada and after do flagpole so he can get his work permit... They said us that now we should go to Saint Bernard de la colle... Any advises about my situation?... If He can get a OWP we can stay here anyway we have to stop and return to our country because the money...

Tigre200820

Dec 26, 2019
SOWP flagpoling looks risky since there they are not really guaranteed, but also you picked a terrible time and possibly location.
I was reading that it was a good boarder to do it :'( it was almost empty but wel... I don't know if we should go to quebec

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Its not entirely clear that he can flagpole. Best would be for you to work while he awaits his online application.