+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

1 year working visa, shortened due to passport expiry

kiwivisa

Oct 20, 2014
i think this belongs in this section..

i got a 1 year working visa in may 2014, however upon receiving my visa i didnt realise my passport expires in feb 2015, so the customs office only gave me till feb 2015. is is possible to get the rest of my 1 year visa with a new passport? i know its only 3 months but good snow is around then.

cheers, any information would be greatly appreciated.

britinvancouver

Sep 13, 2014
Vancouver, BC
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
15-07-2015
Passport Req..
22-09-2015
LANDED..........
07-10-2015
kiwivisa said:

i got a 1 year working visa in may 2014, however upon receiving my visa i didnt realise my passport expires in feb 2015, so the customs office only gave me till feb 2015. is is possible to get the rest of my 1 year visa with a new passport? i know its only 3 months but good snow is around then.

I don't think it is no, they do advise you to have the valid time on your passport - I got a new passport prior to getting my visa as I only had 18 months left on it.

prashanthbv

Jun 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-08-2016
AOR Received.
11-08-2015
I am in the same situation too. I learnt that, you have re apply for work permit if your passport expires

kiwivisa

Oct 20, 2014
prashanthbv said:
I am in the same situation too. I learnt that, you have re apply for work permit if your passport expires
really? is this what you did?

what would happen if i went to the board with my new passport and work permit confirmation paper and say my expired passport is lost.
could they print me a new visa with the full year?

sy_123

Star Member
Jun 10, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In case if you have LMO/LMIA, that vaditity is Only one year. Before expire the LMO you can apply workvisa with new passport, your requstion letter for visa officer and employer explaination letter for visa officer

After expire the LMO you cannot be able to workpermit without new LMO

kiwivisa said:

johnny123

Aug 18, 2012
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
18-10-2016
Med's Done....
10-12-2016 passed
Passport Req..
25-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
13-02-2017
LANDED..........
19-04-2017
kiwivisa said:

Hi,

yes it is possible. Actually what you have to do is after you get a new passport to apply for work permit extension.

kiwivisa

Oct 20, 2014
johnny123 said:
Hi,

yes it is possible. Actually what you have to do is after you get a new passport to apply for work permit extension.
ive got a new passport, so i will look into this asap!

is it true, while waiting for the extension / rest on visa and i continue working etc?

so you dont think i should try do a boarder run, with my new passport and see if they can re print my visa with the full 1 year?

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
There are certain things mixed here, so i thought of clarifying.

Firstly, there is an LMO/LMIA expiry by which you must have to apply for a work permit. If you haven't then you need a new LMO.

However, if you are issued a work permit of shorter duration, because of passport expiry (compared to what's approved on your LMO), you can reapply for work permit using the SAME LMO / OR WITHOUT NEW LMO after getting a renewed passport and you would be issued work permit.

It is not as bad as one might think, being inside Canada, LMO/LMIA is the real hurdle, a new work permit is just extra fee and validation.

Adders

Jan 14, 2015
My passport will expire before the 2 year visas up(for nz),Do i need i replaced before i apply for my visa or before i arrive in Canada?