+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

1 year work permit

canadiangirl

Jan 25, 2010
Hi there,

I am Canadian, my boyfriend has been on a 1 year work permit which will expire in May. We want to extend his work permit for hopefully another year. The Hamilton immigration office is the closest to us but I cannot find a direct phone # the office to try to get an appt to speak with anyone about or options.

If anyone knows any idea's, any advice id really appreciate it.

We've been together for a few yearsand have been living together, so Im not sure if me sponsoring him as a common law spouse is our best option??

HELP PLEASE!!

thanks in advance!

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
canadiangirl said:
Hi there,

I am Canadian, my boyfriend has been on a 1 year work permit which will expire in May. We want to extend his work permit for hopefully another year. The Hamilton immigration office is the closest to us but I cannot find a direct phone # the office to try to get an appt to speak with anyone about or options.

If anyone knows any idea's, any advice id really appreciate it.

We've been together for a few yearsand have been living together, so Im not sure if me sponsoring him as a common law spouse is our best option??

HELP PLEASE!!

thanks in advance!
If he's on a work permit then he just has to apply for an extension of the work permit. The employer applies for a LMO in his favor after complying with the minimum advertising requirements of 14 days in the National Job Bank and a major daily or website. Once he has the LMO, he can then send the application to CPC-Vegreville. If he is from a "visa exempt" country, you can go to the border closest to you and get the work permit from there. Processing time for WP application for the same employer is currently 76 days.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
All the info you need is available online:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/extend-stay.asp

You could apply to sponsor him as a common-law spouse. Other options may be available, depending on his current occupation and/or past work experience. If he is currently working in a "skilled" occupation (NOC level O, A or B) he may qualify for other programs.

starzibal

Dec 30, 2009
Toronto
hey job seeker,

i am not sure if you got my pm or not. i have a question for you.

if someone need AEO letter for immigration purpose(to get 10 points) for one of the special IT tech profession, does the employer in Canada still need to get approval from HRSDC even if its fall under exemption category? see following from this link http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/special-tech.asp

Under this process, no confirmation letter from Human Resources and Social Development Canada (HRSDC) is necessary for specific jobs when hiring a foreign worker, since it will not have a negative impact on Canadian or permanent-resident job seekers and workers.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
starzibal said:
hey job seeker,

i am not sure if you got my pm or not. i have a question for you.

if someone need AEO letter for immigration purpose(to get 10 points) for one of the special IT tech profession, does the employer in Canada still need to get approval from HRSDC even if its fall under exemption category? see following from this link http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/special-tech.asp

Under this process, no confirmation letter from Human Resources and Social Development Canada (HRSDC) is necessary for specific jobs when hiring a foreign worker, since it will not have a negative impact on Canadian or permanent-resident job seekers and workers.
Got it. Responded to your PM. Have to find the pertinent document to attach :)

starzibal

Dec 30, 2009
Toronto
job_seeker said:
Got it. Responded to your PM. Have to find the pertinent document to attach :)
Thanks, ya i know that employer have to apply that but it does not say that exempted IT profession are not required approval from HRSDC. Does that mean an employer must apply to HRSDC and get approval for AEO even for exempted IT profession?

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
starzibal said:
Thanks, ya i know that employer have to apply that but it does not say that exempted IT profession are not required approval from HRSDC. Does that mean an employer must apply to HRSDC and get approval for AEO even for exempted IT profession?
Hmmm. Probably this combination will work for you.
Read item 4 p 28
column 1: If
(4) the applicant holds a work permit
pursuant to R82(2)(d):
• the applicant’s job is in a
confirmation-exempt category other
than those outlined in R82(2)(b).

Column 2: And

• the employer has made an offer to
employ the applicant on an
indeterminate basis if the
permanent resident visa is issued

starzibal

Dec 30, 2009
Toronto
job_seeker said:
Hmmm. Probably this combination will work for you.
Read item 4 p 28
column 1: If
(4) the applicant holds a work permit
pursuant to R82(2)(d):
• the applicant's job is in a
confirmation-exempt category other
than those outlined in R82(2)(b).

Column 2: And

1. he does not hold work permit or is in canada so point 1 is not for him. He fall under point 3, page# 29
(3) the applicant does not intend to work
in Canada before being issued a
permanent resident visa and does not
hold a work permit [R82(2)(c)].
• the applicant has a full-time job offer
that has been approved by HRSDC,
pursuant to an arranged
employment opinion outlined in
R82(2)(c)
• the applicant meets any required
Canadian licensing or regulatory
standards associated with the job;

so it does not say "exempted caegory" such as special IT profession.

I got the ph# of the concern dept. i will call them tomorrow. thanks