+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

1 year old with visitor status with PR parents allowed to leave Canada short term?

esperia

Feb 5, 2018
Hi everyone,

We've been living in Canada for 5 months and we are both PR parents of a 1 year old daughter that has a visitor status and is being sponsored. We have 1 month to go out of Canada and meet our residency requirements and would like to visit family in the US for 2 weeks. We are wondering if it is possible they would not allow my 1 year old daughter to enter Canada for a second time?

We are from a visa exempt country so she should be easily allowed in even as a tourist but someone told me visitors are only allowed to come in temporarily and being sponsored would show her intention of staying. I don't think this should apply to a 1 year old though.
Has anyone ever done this?

Jazzed

Star Member
Jan 15, 2022
No one can give you a definite answer of yes or no that the chld will be allowed to enter. As technically the person who told you that is correct. You aren't a tourist by the current definition if you have clear intentions to live in Canada. But to not allow a 1year old to re- enter with her PR holding parents would be a rather ridiculous application of the law. Stranger things have happened though and really anything can happen so it's up to you if this trip is worth the possible hassle.