waived
Passport Req..
req..24/12/2010 ..sent on 30/12/2010
VISA ISSUED...
in process to decision made on 18/1/2011/visa issued on 17th
LANDED..........
planning in march
hi all

i landed in toronto on march 4th 2011...now its been 1 yr since i landed here...hope all of them got visa and landed in canada ....ask me if u guys have any doubts

regards
sherry

dided

Star Member
Jul 25, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
how do you find ur stay in canada ? :) do u feel that u made the right decision coming to canada?

kchakus

Star Member
May 28, 2010
Bangalore
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
Med's Request
Not Yet
Or what else could you have planned better before coming to Canada?

mycan

Sep 1, 2011
Brampton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Yes
Share in detail your almost 1 year stay in Canada along with the challenges you faced.

mute_man

Champion Member
Jan 21, 2011
Dhaka
Category........
Visa Office......
SG
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21 January 2011
Nomination.....
23 June 2011
AOR Received.
20 July 2011
Med's Request
05 March 2014
Med's Done....
15 March 2014
Passport Req..
05 March 2014
VISA ISSUED...
16 April 2014
LANDED..........
12 July 2014
mycan said:
Share in detail your almost 1 year stay in Canada along with the challenges you faced.
I second u!!

sherin0621

Star Member
Jun 14, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
london
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
no
Med's Request
25/3/2010
Med's Done....
15/4/2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
req..24/12/2010 ..sent on 30/12/2010
VISA ISSUED...
in process to decision made on 18/1/2011/visa issued on 17th
LANDED..........
planning in march
hi friends

it is easy to find a place to stay here in toronto.they will not give you some apartments if u dont hav a good job(not all the apartments)Always start with basement appartment(if u dont have enough cash).It is not that easy to get a job in our own proffession.It takes time.You have to go for a survival job unitil u get a good job.Survival job is easy to get..You can make 2000 dollar with your survival job..enough to run a family(if u dont spend much)But remeber profeesionals like doctors,nursesphysio...they have to pass the exam...bit tough.once they pass the exam even for nurses not easy to get the job.It may take some time to get a job...I have a friend who has Mtech in electronics still doing survival job..coming to canada is a tough process and to get a job even more tough..If you have good experience then it will be more easy to get a job...credential assement is very important..please get the transcript from your college before you come to canada..Some peoples get jobs if you have someone to refer..I have so many friends(nurses)who still aattempting the 3 rd chance(crne)But this is not for everyone...some peoples will pass in the first attempt..so please do practice at home....

Steve21

Jan 9, 2012
Hi Sherin,

thanks for your posting on your first year in Canada, posts like these can be a big help to those who will be landing soon, pls can you specify as to which are the survival jobs easily available and how to go about getting them, also are basement apartments good enough than Condos and apartments ?, I mean than since you will be living in a basement, it can be a bit depressing since maybe to you will not see the sun. pls keep posting

thanks
steve

Shannone

Star Member
Mar 8, 2011
Mauritius
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
October 2010
Med's Done....
November 2010
Interview........
No interview
Very well said Sherry!i appreciate your comments and advices n am new n still struggling...btw i was looking for part time job..u have any idea?
Regards,

Shannone

V

vidya

Hi Sherry,
Are you still in Canada after the 1st anniversary or did you go back. Not seen your post after this one. If still in Canada send me a PM.
I really enjoyed all your albums on YOU TUBE. 8)

Cheers,
Vidyanathji

my_lib

Star Member
Jan 29, 2010
Hi sherino621,
I got a medical request, Plz tel me what documents should i send now.I know that Police clearence certificate should be sent as the one I sent is more than 6 months old .Plz say what all documnts to be sent.Thanks in advance

MasterBlaster

Sep 30, 2012
Let me also join the party :)

After 11 months of relentless pursuit and struggles, I have managed to land in my first full-time job last week. Yes its a good news, notwithstanding the enormous pressure me and my wife had to go through after landing. In fact, by Oct end we had just 500 dollars as balance in our account, and was almost on the verge of returning back to Dubai. Despite my mid to senior management experience, spanning over 9 years in Strategic HR Operations, combined with working at top Dubai based multinationals, I had to volunteer for 6 full months in Toronto before getting into my first full-time job. It was very difficult for me to digest such a thing as volunteering when I first landed. But that's how the system works here. 90% of the Canadian employers look for candidates who can be culturally fit for their organization. And its very important how you convince them on that!!! Hence I decided to share a few words of advice for all those excited people out there, who are planning their landing soon!!

Relocating and settling in Canada works in a totally different way. Every case is different and it all depends on your Present Situation and Your needs. Please do remember "You are migrating to a new place - On the hopes of Better Life, not for a adjusting or compromising life". It is not related to your qualifications, or experience - the system is Different NOT Difficult, which cannot be explained by writing. Everyone has to come to Canadian Loop to understand and enjoy this.

Because immigrants are welcomed, Canada has so many immigrants, ironically, you may actually find you are competing with many of your country men/women even when you get here. In kind of a twisted way: you are not really a "minority" and will find it just as difficult, if not more difficult. Canadian employers will not be jumping up and down because you have had overseas experience - so many people here have that. So, in and of itself, your experience just being overseas will not necessarily "seal the deal".

Also, when one examines everything you have to wonder why people want to focus mostly on Toronto. Alberta has the lowest unemployment rate in the world (4.3%) right now and trying to find a job is very easy. While there are 100,000 jobs in Alberta that are seeking workers, there is still a labor shortage mainly because of the baby boomers who have retired creating this drain on the labor market.

I would encourage anyone who wants to come to Canada to first get trained in a vocation that is in demand (become a welder, a pipe fitter, a mechanic) anything with a trade. A Journeyman Welder can earn $46.00 per hour anywhere in Alberta but a dentist can't find employment. Drivers of heavy equipment earn $150,000 a year working in the oil industry. So find out which jobs are most in demand and get trained in one of those fields and don't stay stuck on finding employment in your field of certification. LEARN A NEW SKILL.............reinvent yourself first.

So do your research, before choosing Toronto, and my suggestion - make a full research till you get tired, identify needs, try to get a proper Job / Specified income which you are ready to accept - then you can enjoy your stay in Canada.

Careful with your qualifications and/or experience - depending - may nor be transferable to Canada. .Many certificates and/or uni degrees are not recognized here. Your expertise may enable you to move here - but your "paper" or "transcript" etc may not be transferable here.....

Having priorities set with no high hopes is the rational way of making a move if you want it reflecting positively on your, and your next generation's, future - especially when it comes to migrating. Disappointment and desperation are the only things you'd get if you've set your expectations too high, and this is commonly happening to those who end up moving without prior research.

While awaiting for your visa visa, its very important you research a lot, what's in demand, market dynamics in your field, alternates and local skills that you need to acquire there. This is something everyone of us should be aware of before the much awaited 'LANDING'.

Take as much funds with you as possible, not just the minimum suggested by CIC. I would suggest that you take at least savings for the first one year. Be prepared for a change in lifestyle. Try adapting to the Canadian lifestyle. Start building professional network even before the time you land. Times have changed and social media has evolved rapidly.world has shrunk - try LinkedIn(don't ask for jobs directly, they'll throw you out of their network, rather your profile should be strong enough to impress).

Ensure English (or French) and other skill sets are up to snuff. In many areas of the country (particularly urban), you would be speaking with others all speaking English or French with their own accents (not necessarily Canadian origin). And so proficiency is almost more important than ever since you will be hearing the languages spoken so differently by so many different people with so many different backgrounds... the plus side is most people here will have heard English (and French) spoken with your accent - but not necessarily the other way around?

Repurpose your application and resume for each job you apply for rather than a broad brushstroke. Start reading job boards, job descriptions and essential equirements, this should give you an idea of what background a Canadian employer seeks from candidates.

The list can go on, and on, so prepare yourself mentally to face these challenges.

That being said, I feel privileged to live here so far..and I love Canada Smiley

canada1234

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Dec 2012
MasterBlaster said:
Let me also join the party :)

After 11 months of relentless pursuit and struggles, I have managed to land in my first full-time job last week. Yes its a good news, notwithstanding the enormous pressure me and my wife had to go through after landing. In fact, by Oct end we had just 500 dollars as balance in our account, and was almost on the verge of returning back to Dubai. Despite my mid to senior management experience, spanning over 9 years in Strategic HR Operations, combined with working at top Dubai based multinationals, I had to volunteer for 6 full months in Toronto before getting into my first full-time job. It was very difficult for me to digest such a thing as volunteering when I first landed. But that's how the system works here. 90% ofp the Canadian employers look for candidates who can be culturally fit for their organization. And its very important how you convince them on that!!! Hence I decided to share a few words of advice for all those excited people out there, who are planning their landing soon!!

Relocating and settling in Canada works in a totally different way. Every case is different and it all depends on your Present Situation and Your needs. Please do remember "You are migrating to a new place - On the hopes of Better Life, not for a adjusting or compromising life". It is not related to your qualifications, or experience - the system is Different NOT Difficult, which cannot be explained by writing. Everyone has to come to Canadian Loop to understand and enjoy this.

Because immigrants are welcomed, Canada has so many immigrants, ironically, you may actually find you are competing with many of your country men/women even when you get here. In kind of a twisted way: you are not really a "minority" and will find it just as difficult, if not more difficult. Canadian employers will not be jumping up and down because you have had overseas experience - so many people here have that. So, in and of itself, your experience just being overseas will not necessarily "seal the deal".

Also, when one examines everything you have to wonder why people want to focus mostly on Toronto. Alberta has the lowest unemployment rate in the world (4.3%) right now and trying to find a job is very easy. While there are 100,000 jobs in Alberta that are seeking workers, there is still a labor shortage mainly because of the baby boomers who have retired creating this drain on the labor market.

I would encourage anyone who wants to come to Canada to first get trained in a vocation that is in demand (become a welder, a pipe fitter, a mechanic) anything with a trade. A Journeyman Welder can earn $46.00 per hour anywhere in Alberta but a dentist can't find employment. Drivers of heavy equipment earn $150,000 a year working in the oil industry. So find out which jobs are most in demand and get trained in one of those fields and don't stay stuck on finding employment in your field of certification. LEARN A NEW SKILL.............reinvent yourself first.

So do your research, before choosing Toronto, and my suggestion - make a full research till you get tired, identify needs, try to get a proper Job / Specified income which you are ready to accept - then you can enjoy your stay in Canada.

Careful with your qualifications and/or experience - depending - may nor be transferable to Canada. .Many certificates and/or uni degrees are not recognized here. Your expertise may enable you to move here - but your "paper" or "transcript" etc may not be transferable here.....

Having priorities set with no high hopes is the rational way of making a move if you want it reflecting positively on your, and your next generation's, future - especially when it comes to migrating. Disappointment and desperation are the only things you'd get if you've set your expectations too high, and this is commonly happening to those who end up moving without prior research.

While awaiting for your visa visa, its very important you research a lot, what's in demand, market dynamics in your field, alternates and local skills that you need to acquire there. This is something everyone of us should be aware of before the much awaited 'LANDING'.

Take as much funds with you as possible, not just the minimum suggested by CIC. I would suggest that you take at least savings for the first one year. Be prepared for a change in lifestyle. Try adapting to the Canadian lifestyle. Start building professional network even before the time you land. Times have changed and social media has evolved rapidly.world has shrunk - try LinkedIn(don't ask for jobs directly, they'll throw you out of their network, rather your profile should be strong enough to impress).

Ensure English (or French) and other skill sets are up to snuff. In many areas of the country (particularly urban), you would be speaking with others all speaking English or French with their own accents (not necessarily Canadian origin). And so proficiency is almost more important than ever since you will be hearing the languages spoken so differently by so many different people with so many different backgrounds... the plus side is most people here will have heard English (and French) spoken with your accent - but not necessarily the other way around?

Repurpose your application and resume for each job you apply for rather than a broad brushstroke. Start reading job boards, job descriptions and essential equirements, this should give you an idea of what background a Canadian employer seeks from candidates.

The list can go on, and on, so prepare yourself mentally to face these challenges.

That being said, I feel privileged to live here so far..and I love Canada Smiley
Very well explained.+1.