+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

1+1 certificates of 1 year each, PGWP length?

SophiaDK

Jan 29, 2015
From reading almost all previous queries about PGWP; Its quite clear that doing 1 YEAR post graduate certificate and 1 post-secondary certificate may give you 3 years PGWP.

Now my question is What if someone completes 2 POST SECONDARY certificates of 1 year each. What will be the duration of PGWP?

hell911

Champion Member
Apr 10, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
same (AFAIK). they don't look for "post secondary" or "post graduate", as long as it is college level, you will get 3 year PGWP if you completed 2 years of studies in a public college.

SophiaDK

Jan 29, 2015
hell911 said:
same (AFAIK). they don't look for "post secondary" or "post graduate", as long as it is college level, you will get 3 year PGWP if you completed 2 years of studies in a public college.
thanks for the reply

xxxibtb

Dec 4, 2015
even 1 + 1 PG cert may not give you 3 year PGWP.
CIC has changed its rule regarding PGWP. The old "Operational Bulletin Operational Bulletin 194 – June 1, 2010" are expired.
cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2010/index.asp
you can clearly see there is an "expired" besides the OP194

new rules can be found under "Work permit issuance and validity"
cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/students/post-grad.asp

"If students who obtained a one-year graduate degree or diploma from an eligible institution in Canada after having obtained, within the prior two years, another diploma or degree from an eligible institution in Canada, then the duration of the work permit may be up to 3 three years."

beware of the sequence of wording,
........obtained a (1) one-year graduate degree OR (2) diploma...
.......within the prior two years, another (1) diploma or (2) degree

which means:

1 year degree + 1 year Diploma/PG cert (gap less than 2 years) = 3 year PGWP
1 year Diploma/PG cert + 1 year degree (gap less than 2 years) = 3 year PGWP
1 year Diploma/PG cert + 1 year Diploma/PG cert = ?

Jetrocker

Jul 30, 2013
I had completed two years of study, each year from a separate but recognized college in Canada and was totally eligible for three years work permit. My first program was graduate certificate in Corporate Communication and Public Relations and my second program was graduate certificate in International Business Management from Seneca College without much gap (4 months gap). We had eight courses for first sem and five courses plus field placement in second sem for Fanshawe. In first sem, each course had 3 credits while in second sem too, each course had 3 credits but field placement had 7 credits. Total credit units for Fanshawe College in first semester were 24 and second semester were 22.
We had seven courses in both first and second sem for Seneca. In both first and second sem, each course had 5 credits. Total credit units for Seneca College in first sem are 35 and second sem are also 35. I guess there's no issue with course credits.

But, I was shocked to see that I just got one year work permit after having invested so much money into education. I got my PGWP on January 27 2016 until January 26 2017.

I called CIC toll-free number and they verified my application and put a note to the visa processing centre. The agents have strongly discouraged my from reapplying PGWP cuz they told it's just a one-time thing. I ain't sure about that. Also, I had ordered my case notes and recently received it, but am unable to understand and read it as the language used is not clear.

Eligibility for PGWP link - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2010/ob194A.asp

In this link, there is a statement: Students holding a one-year graduate degree, diploma or certificate from a participating institution in Canada after having obtained, within the prior two years, a certificate, a diploma or degree from a participating institution in Canada may qualify for a three-year work permit. This exception also applies to students who have left Canada temporarily between programs of study.

Doesn't that allow one year graduate certificate from a participating college and another graduate certificate from a different college to be eligible for a 3 years work permit?

Also, my friends who were in a similar situation like me i.e. two grad certificate programs from 2 different colleges, applied after me and got their 3 years PGWP recently.
Kindly help!

Jetrocker

Jul 30, 2013
Sorry, I didn't carefully read the new guidelines for PGWP. So, as per the new guidelines:
Work permits issued under the PGWPP may be valid for up to three years:
If students who obtained a one-year graduate degree or diploma from an eligible institution in Canada after having obtained, within the prior two years, another diploma or degree from an eligible institution in Canada, then the duration of the work permit may be up to 3 three years.

It says one-year graduate degree or diploma; so, doesn't it count graduate certificates? Also, is it fine if both the programs are graduate level ( like mine)

MapleMoose

Jul 8, 2016
msatishxp said:
Sorry, I didn't carefully read the new guidelines for PGWP. So, as per the new guidelines:
Work permits issued under the PGWPP may be valid for up to three years:
If students who obtained a one-year graduate degree or diploma from an eligible institution in Canada after having obtained, within the prior two years, another diploma or degree from an eligible institution in Canada, then the duration of the work permit may be up to 3 three years.

It says one-year graduate degree or diploma; so, doesn't it count graduate certificates? Also, is it fine if both the programs are graduate level ( like mine)
Can anyone clarify this?

After the new guidelines, this looks confusing. Previously they were ok with certificates but right now it is written only for degree or diploma. Does this mean the certificates are useless?

Jetrocker

Jul 30, 2013
By the way, I got my 3 years PGWP as I got reply to the note put up by the CIC agent on the toll-free number to the visa processing centre. It took 3 months since the note was put for me to get 3 years PGWP from 1 year PGWP. I had done 2 graduate certificate programs from two different colleges.

lourve

Star Member
May 11, 2016
msatishxp said:
By the way, I got my 3 years PGWP as I got reply to the note put up by the CIC agent on the toll-free number to the visa processing centre. It took 3 months since the note was put for me to get 3 years PGWP from 1 year PGWP. I had done 2 graduate certificate programs from two different colleges.
Congrats CIC were able to change your PGWP. Hopefully, I will be getting the same PGWP length with yours as I will be taking two graduate certificates too.

lourve

Star Member
May 11, 2016
MapleMoose said:
So does this mean the doing two certificates is still valid? Then why is it changed on the note?
I think its not really a guaranteed to get a 3 yrs PGWP for doing two certificates. We still have to earn it such as by showing a good school standing and performance.

lorerodri

Feb 10, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How about a program of 3 semesters + 1 semester of co-op? What will be the pgwp lenght?

mdaako

May 27, 2017
Hello all,

I am sorry for bringing this again but I still confused.
So it's possible to get a PGWP of 2 years If I study 1 year course + 1 year course but with a 4 or 5 months gap between them? The first course I want to do starts in April 2018 and It ends April 2019 but the second course only starts in September 2019. Can I still get a PGWP of 2 years? Also what would be my status during those 4 - 5 months? Do I need to request another specific visa?

Maybe due my English skills I didn't understand clearly the text below:

"In this link, there is a statement: Students holding a one-year graduate degree, diploma or certificate from a participating institution in Canada after having obtained, within the prior two years, a certificate, a diploma or degree from a participating institution in Canada may qualify for a three-year work permit. This exception also applies to students who have left Canada temporarily between programs of study."

In this case It means that If I do a 1 year course I have 2 MORE YEARS to do another course and get at least a 2 years PGWP? So in total I would have the length of 3 years? Considering my case can I study 1 year + 4 to 5 months gap + 1 year = at least 2 years of PGWP?

krish_trovert

Nov 2, 2017
Category........
App. Filed.......
08-11-2018
Hello all,

I am sorry for bringing this again but I still confused.
So it's possible to get a PGWP of 2 years If I study 1 year course + 1 year course but with a 4 or 5 months gap between them? The first course I want to do starts in April 2018 and It ends April 2019 but the second course only starts in September 2019. Can I still get a PGWP of 2 years? Also what would be my status during those 4 - 5 months? Do I need to request another specific visa?

Maybe due my English skills I didn't understand clearly the text below:

"In this link, there is a statement: Students holding a one-year graduate degree, diploma or certificate from a participating institution in Canada after having obtained, within the prior two years, a certificate, a diploma or degree from a participating institution in Canada may qualify for a three-year work permit. This exception also applies to students who have left Canada temporarily between programs of study."

In this case It means that If I do a 1 year course I have 2 MORE YEARS to do another course and get at least a 2 years PGWP? So in total I would have the length of 3 years? Considering my case can I study 1 year + 4 to 5 months gap + 1 year = at least 2 years of PGWP?
did you resolve this? is it 2 years pgwp?