+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445
Also, are there any potential downsides to collecting these notes that might raise concerns with IRCC about my situation?
No. It's a different officer from a different team who handles this. Since under the PA it's also free, there's absolutely no downside - the worst case is just that there's nothing helpful and you are at the same place you were before you ordered.
Do these notes help to get clarification in situations like mine?

Does these notes show whether an officer issued IRPA or not? Has anyone in these forums shared any input related to this.
I wasn't in this situation when I requested my notes, but what I got back was pretty detailed. I'd imagine that if there is something on file, you'd find that in here. Of course, if it's just been received by IRCC from CBSA and sitting on a desk, there might not be anything really there in the IRCC file to see.
Some friends suggested getting GCMS and CBSA Notes.
It's a good idea to get both sets of notes from CBSA and IRCC. I can't say for sure but my guess is that the CBSA notes are more likely to have what you are looking for - a confirmation that the officer did an official review and even if an A44 report was actually filed, or at least drafted. Alternatively, you might find a note explaining why they decided not to pursue. (The other thing is that IRCC can take forever, but my guess is that if CBSA was going to take some action, then they would have wrapped up their part by now.)

If it did move forward beyond CBSA, then the IRCC notes will give you a very rough, somewhat vague idea of where things currently stand. (If there's no mention in IRCC notes at all but CBSA notes has the referral, then it's sitting in IRCC's backlog and they've not seen it yet. Otherwise, there'll be some note that says what the last status was.)
 
  • Like
Reactions: familyman86
.
One of the lawyer via email shared this . . .
. . .
I am planning to reach out to a new lawyer and explain them in person about my situation and what actions I need to take regarding my child PR and my situation.

Apart from how you choose to proceed in regards to the status of your child, who unlike you is not a Canadian (does not have status as a Canadian PR or as a Canadian citizen), it should be OK (probably preferrable) to wait-and-see what happens next before taking any action.

That is, as long as you are prepared to respond to any requests for information or for an interview, your position does not worsen if you stay, work, and otherwise just wait.

In contrast, whether or not there is a 44(1) Report pending (it appears likely there is a Report pending), the longer you are here, and the more established you are here, the stronger that makes your H&C case if and when that is being decided.

How to handle things in regards to your non-Canadian child's status could be tricky. Given the extent to which you have been outside Canada since landing, and having spent relatively little time in Canada, it would be prudent to have a lawyer representing you and your child, in a paid-for attorney-client relationship, and guiding you in how you approach this, BEFORE initiating any further transactions with either CBSA or IRCC.

It is OK to make ATIP requests even though that is probably unnecessary. Moreover, it is not clear what you will learn will be helpful.

And it is imperative you timely and appropriately respond to contacts, notices, requests for information or an interview, or such, whether that is from either CBSA or IRCC.

But otherwise probably best to NOT engage in any further transactions with CBSA or IRCC, including not making any sponsored PR application for the non-Canadian child, again UNLESS guided by an experienced Canadian immigration lawyer pursuant to a paid-for attorney-client relationship. (Yeah, I tend to be repetitive in regards to something so key as this.)

The Lawyer's Email . . .

My sense is that what I say just above is consistent with what this "one" lawyer said in the email you shared here . . . . even though the lawyer's email otherwise is not consistent with what I understand.

Main thing is to Wait-and-See.

Meanwhile, be prepared to provide information if requested, to make the case why you should be allowed to keep PR status despite failing to comply with the RO, and otherwise, for now, wait to see what action is taken by the government.

BEYOND THAT . . .

It gets complicated. There are multiple interesting facets of your situation, some of which have been discussed by others, observations by @abff08f4813c in particular. But there is also a lot of unknown detail that could have a big impact on
(1) what is actually happening, such as whether there is a 44(1) Report pending (still appears a Report is pending) and what that means​
(2) what can and will happen​

Despite that, it is still probably the case that to wait-and-see is the way to go for now, again unless a lawyer, engaged as a lawyer representing you (not some free consultation), guides you otherwise in regards to your non-Canadian child. (My sense is overstaying would not be a big deal, but best to sort out how to handle this with a competent, experienced immigration lawyer.)

So addressing this further is likely to be more a distraction than it is helpful.

Example:

Generally I steer away from challenging information or advice from lawyers (except when obviously warranted). After all, I am not a Canadian lawyer, and I am no immigration expert.

And even here, where the way the lawyer has framed things seems rather odd to me, I am not challenging the essence of what the lawyer says, which again is mostly wait-and-see while in the meantime being prepared for an interview or information requests.

So there is not much to be gained wrangling with how the lawyer's email is a bit off and, at the least, seems an odd way of phrasing things . . .
lawyer's email said:
IRCC may still review your residency status periodically, and it’s possible you could receive follow-up communications or be asked for additional information as part of their routine checks.

In terms of how things technically work, there is a fair bit to quibble with here:

It is not clear to me what this lawyer is referring to here with terms like "periodically" and "routine checks." Or even what the lawyer means in regards to what "review" IRCC may still do.

If a 44(1) Report prepared attendant a PoE examination is pending, it is a CBSA officer (acting in the role of a Minister's Delegate) who will be conducting a review, not IRCC.

In contrast, if there is no 44(1) Report pending, there is nothing for anyone at CBSA or IRCC to "review" at this juncture.

And there are no routine checks pursuant to which IRCC would ask for additional information.

Otherwise, IRCC does not conduct routine checks of PR status outside the scope of transactions which depend on verifying PR status, some of which specifically include a RO compliance assessment (like a PR card application), some of which may (but not necessarily will) include a RO compliance assessment (like a family class sponsorship application).

That is, absent cause to investigate you for security or criminal inadmissibility (which I assume is not relevant here), if there is no 44(1) Report pending there will not be any further review of your PR status or RO compliance unless YOU trigger a review of your PR status by engaging in a transaction with CBSA (by making an application for permission to enter Canada at a PoE, which you would when returning to Canada if you leave) or IRCC (by making an application for a new PR card, an application to sponsor a family member, or an application for citizenship).

But none of the quibbling counters the gist of the lawyer's communication, which again mostly amounts to this:

wait-and-see, while in the meantime being prepared for an interview or information requests.​

So, sorting through the more technical procedural details is not likely to illuminate useful decision-making information for you. In terms of what you are up against, what could go wrong, what matters at this juncture is whether there is indeed a 44(1) Report pending, awaiting a MD's review. But there is nothing you can do, no decision you can make, which will change that. If a Report is pending, the question is whether you will get H&C relief when it is reviewed; your role is to be prepared for that review when it happens (if that is what happens).

Report Pending?

In terms of what could happen, of course you are anxious to know whether or not you currently have an outstanding 44(1) Report pending (again, seems likely one is pending). You may be able to find out if a Report was prepared and is still pending through ATIP requests.

It would be nice to know but knowing will not change what you need to do.

If there is no Report pending, you can for sure just stay with little or no risk to your PR status. If you stay for 730 days before engaging in any further transactions with IRCC, that will put you back into RO compliance, which will mean you could then apply for a new PR card or to sponsor your child, or both, with no risk.

So, if there is no Report pending, relax.

If, in contrast, there is a Report pending, still relax. Relax but be prepared to make the H&C case to another officer (and for your purposes, it makes little if any difference to you whether that is technically a CBSA or IRCC officer).
 
Hi everyone,

Some friends suggested getting GCMS and CBSA Notes.

Need clarification:

Does these notes show whether an officer issued IRPA or not? Has anyone in these forums shared any input related to this.

Do these notes help to get clarification in situations like mine?
Also, are there any potential downsides to collecting these notes that might raise concerns with IRCC about my situation?
Did you find out about your state?
 
Did you find out about your state?
It looks like OP was around recently so hopefully can respond directly.

I suspect not however, considering the lawyer's advice and what dpenabill agreed with in his lengthy but informative post above. Rather I guess that the OP is simply in a bit of limbo, preparing in case they are ever called, while otherwise acting and going through life as a normal PR (i.e. one not under threat of revocation).

The only thing is - if OP did order GCMS notes from CBSA around the start of this thread, they'd be arriving around now. That might be the one thing that might provide additional information on the OP's status.
 
Update: I got my GCMS and CBSA notes back through ATIP (October 2026). From the notes it is confirm that an A44 report was issued at our last entry into Canada and referred to the Minister's Delegate. Notes show the cases are still "Open / In Progress." Nothing has happened since the referral, and there's no removal order. We've lived in Canada continuously since we came back.
If anyone has been through something similar, I'd really appreciate your guidance on these:
1. What usually happens after an A44 referral to an MD, and roughly how long does it take?
2. Which H&C factors tend to help most in cases like ours?

Thank you
 
Update: I got my GCMS and CBSA notes back through ATIP (October 2026). From the notes it is confirm that an A44 report was issued at our last entry into Canada and referred to the Minister's Delegate. Notes show the cases are still "Open / In Progress."
you mentioned in https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-i...idency-obligation.876557/page-2#post-11138635 that you had discussed with a lawyer - wouldn't hurt to apprise them of this development.
Nothing has happened since the referral, and there's no removal order. We've lived in Canada continuously since we came back.
If anyone has been through something similar, I'd really appreciate your guidance on these:
Alas the biggest deal is that, time since you returned is not counted for RO purposes anymore and won't be until and unless the MD makes a decision to overturn/cancel the report or else the order is issued but you win the appeal.
1. What usually happens after an A44 referral to an MD, and roughly how long does it take?
Two excellent posts from dpenabill earlier in this thread - https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-i...idency-obligation.876557/page-2#post-11134252 & https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-i...ng-residency-obligation.876557/#post-11115115 - cover the what. As for how long, I'm not sure. With IRCC backlogs being what they are, it's possible an MD won't get a chance to look for a couple of years, worst case...
2. Which H&C factors tend to help most in cases like ours?

Thank you
Will let other forum members chime in here. Being in the best interests of a child seems like the strongest one to me; being able to show that you've stayed in Canada since returning and have paid your taxes etc (i.e. you've integrated) helps too I think.
 
  • Like
Reactions: familyman86
you mentioned in https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-i...idency-obligation.876557/page-2#post-11138635 that you had discussed with a lawyer - wouldn't hurt to apprise them of this development.

Alas the biggest deal is that, time since you returned is not counted for RO purposes anymore and won't be until and unless the MD makes a decision to overturn/cancel the report or else the order is issued but you win the appeal.

Two excellent posts from dpenabill earlier in this thread - https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-i...idency-obligation.876557/page-2#post-11134252 & https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-i...ng-residency-obligation.876557/#post-11115115 - cover the what. As for how long, I'm not sure. With IRCC backlogs being what they are, it's possible an MD won't get a chance to look for a couple of years, worst case...

Will let other forum members chime in here. Being in the best interests of a child seems like the strongest one to me; being able to show that you've stayed in Canada since returning and have paid your taxes etc (i.e. you've integrated) helps too I think.
If I don't hear on my case till March 2028 because I would complete my 730 days in Canada(meaning I will met RO) AND can apply for PR renewal? Is this correct understanding. I don't need to wait for MD decision or message after March 2028.
 
If I don't hear on my case till March 2028 because I would complete my 730 days in Canada(meaning I will met RO) AND can apply for PR renewal? Is this correct understanding. I don't need to wait for MD decision or message after March 2028.
Not sure. So the issue is that if a 44 report has been made and passed to the MD, then your days stop counting. So you wouldn't be able to be given a PR card until the 44 report is cleared up.

However, poking IRCC with the renewal app after you've hit 730 days might cause them to poke the MD, who might indeed see that you're otherwise back in compliance and thus just overturns the report, which restores your uncounted days, and then your PR card is issued with only a slight delay (best case scenario). The risk here is that IRCC doesn't bother to poke the MD, or the poke doesn't speed up the process, so you're still stuck waiting.. or else the MD decides to put you through a departure order anyways.

Now, I'm not sure how likely these three scenarios are, relative to each other. Something to ask the lawyer about.
 
The other thing I'm not sure about - perhaps a good lawyer could write to the relevant part of IRCC or CBSA that houses the MD? Write a package to convince the MD that your 44 report should be overturned, saving everyone the trouble of fighting the order later on? Might be better to take this on proactively rather than wait-and-see.
 
Thanks.
My plan is to apply for PR renewal in March 2028 as i will complete unofficial 730 days of completion (even though it does not count towards my RO but it will help on humanitarian grounds). Meanwhile, I will reach out to lawyer again about my situation to be ready whenever MD reach out.
 
Thanks.
My plan is to apply for PR renewal in March 2028 as i will complete unofficial 730 days of completion (even though it does not count towards my RO but it will help on humanitarian grounds). Meanwhile, I will reach out to lawyer again about my situation to be ready whenever MD reach out.
I'm not going to comment on this part of the plan.

-Have you spoken to the lawyer that you have used?

-While you are in Canada (as now) with family etc., I believe it is a fact that they must take into consideration your current situation (that is, at the time they decide and finalize the documents). Which means that at least to some degree you will get some 'H&C' consideration for being in Canada with family, etc. But of course a warning, no-one can tell you how much weight they give that part and whether it will be sufficient or decisive.

-As I recall you said you were only about 115 days out of compliance at time you returned? I'm a bit surprised this is taking this long. (But of course that's without knowledge of other aspects)
 
I haven't talked to lawyer again after receiving the GCMS/CBSA notes. Will engage them.

When I arrived, I had only 2 days in canada, so I was about 728 days short. Even if I stay till my PR card expires next year, I will still left with about 158 days short out of 730.
 
I haven't talked to lawyer again after receiving the GCMS/CBSA notes. Will engage them.

When I arrived, I had only 2 days in canada, so I was about 728 days short. Even if I stay till my PR card expires next year, I will still left with about 158 days short out of 730.
Ah, I had misunderstood what you were saying in the post I looked up earlier.
 
I haven't talked to lawyer again after receiving the GCMS/CBSA notes. Will engage them.

When I arrived, I had only 2 days in canada, so I was about 728 days short. Even if I stay till my PR card expires next year, I will still left with about 158 days short out of 730.

1. There isn’t an exact time frame for processing applicants who have been reported for not being compliant with their RO but I have seen many take around a year to be processed. Assume it is likely that your application is ji going through normal processing but it takes a long time.
2. Not leaving Canada, working, attending school, establishing a life in Canada, etc. are the best ways to try to combat being reported for not being compliant with your RO.