+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wrong stamp on passport

otown87

Oct 24, 2014
Hello All,

I just noticed that a stamp on my passport while crossing over to US is wrong.

The day and month is correct but the officer stamped the year as 2012 instead of 2013. So the stamp says feb 2012, instead of feb 2013. I guess the stamp was not set correct for the year.

I have my citizenship exam in a day. And I read that they match the stamps on the passport. All my paperwork is in order. And if need be I also have CBSA records from the past 4.5 years, to prove when I entered canada.
Also, I did not even have US visa in feb 2012. I had gotten a US visa 2 months after that, in april 2012. So it is not even possible for me to go states on that wrongly stamped entry.

It is not my mistake, I just noticed it and now I am nervous about this mistake by the US border and customs. Has anyone had experience with this situation?

Thanks

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
otown87 said:
Hello All,

I just noticed that a stamp on my passport while crossing over to US is wrong.

The day and month is correct but the officer stamped the year as 2012 instead of 2013. I guess the stamp was not set correct for the year.

I have my citizenship exam in a day. And I read that they match the stamps on the passport. All my paperwork is in order. And if need be I also have CBSA records from the past 4.5 years, to prove when I entered canada.
Also, I did not even have US visa for the wrong stamp. I had gotten a US visa 2 months after that. So it is not even possible for me to go states on that wrongly stamped entry.

It is not my mistake, I just noticed it and now I am nervous about this mistake by the US border and customs. Has anyone had experience with this situation?

Thanks
Was that stamp for the same day trip?
You can explain the same situation to the cic officer during the interview. If he/she is concerned then they might issue you with CIT0520 and you may need to get USA CBP FOIA records to show the entry into usa.

It is unlikely that cic officer may issue you a CIT0520 however, you need to make sure to explain to the officer that the visa was issued after the stamp thus there is no way possible to get and entry to USA with old stamp with a old date without the visa.

By the way, are you from visa exempt country to travel to USA?

otown87

Oct 24, 2014
thecoolguysam said:
Was that stamp for a day trip?
You can explain the same situation to the cic officer during the interview. If he/she is concerned then they might issue you with CIT0520 and you may need to get USA CBP FOIA records to show the entry into usa.
No, I had gone to the states from 2nd feb, 2103 to 6th feb, 2013. One of my numerous(about 15) trips I have made to US in the past 2 years.

Should I bring it up myself or explain it only if the immigration officer asks me about it.
I DO NOT want to get an RQ because of a mistake by a US border agent. I have read how horrible and tedious an RQ is.

I have CBP(Canadian) FOIA records, which list all the dates that I ENTERED Canada. I do plan on taking that with me to the test. But I don't have the US border patrol records.

otown87

Oct 24, 2014
thecoolguysam said:
If you have both CBP FOIA Records and CBSA records, take them along with you during the interview. If the officer has questions about that stamp or any other trips you can show the CBP FOIA records for entry to USA ( i hope it has the correct entry date for that specific stamp) and CBSA records to show that you entered Canada.
I unfortunately don't have the records for entry to USA. I only have the CBSA records for entry into Canada.

Should I point this out and explain it to the officer myself in the interview, even if he/she doesn't ask me about it?

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
otown87 said:
No, I had gone to the states from 2nd feb, 2103 to 6th feb, 2013. One of my numerous(about 15) trips I have made to US in the past 2 years.

Should I bring it up myself or explain it only if the immigration officer asks me about it.
I DO NOT want to get an RQ because of a mistake by a US border agent. I have read how horrible and tedious an RQ is.

I have CBP(Canadian) FOIA records, which list all the dates that I ENTERED Canada. I do plan on taking that with me to the test. But I don't have the US border patrol records.
US Border Records are called CBP FOIA records.
Canadian records are CBSA records.

I understand you have only CBSA records which can only show your entry to Canada.

Are you from visa exempt country, if no then you can access your usa entry records from the following website:
https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/
Here you can check your entries to USA.

However, please note the i94 records may or may not be complete and if you need to get complete records then you need to submit FOIA CBP records request which can take from 1 month to many months to get.

otown87

Oct 24, 2014
thecoolguysam said:
US Border Records are called CBP FOIA records.
Canadian records are CBSA records.

I understand you have only CBSA records which can only show your entry to Canada.

Are you from visa exempt country, if no then you can access your usa entry records from the following website:

Here you can check your entries to USA.

However, please note the i94 records may or may not be complete and if you need to get complete records then you need to submit FOIA CBP records request which can take from 1 month to many months to get.
Awesome! I used the link that you gave and got my entire history of travel to USA. I will take that with me also as proof for them, if the topic comes up.

However, what would your recommendation be? Should I bring this discrepancy up myself with the officer/agent or only talk about it, if they raise it?

I am worried, If they find it after they might send an RQ. But if I talk about it and they didn't notice it, they might send me an RQ now that I pointed it out. :(

Smile_Canada

Star Member
Feb 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Do they ask for photocopies of all pages of passports during Test?

Bcoz in beginning they have taken just biographical pages and if officer doesn't notice during the test while gong through stamps and you also not mention about it, they have no way to find about it later. As they don't have photocopies of stamp pages, unless officer is manually noting down the stamp dates.

If i am at your place i won't bring topic myself.

mailvdutt

Dec 29, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
new delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-sep-2009
Doc's Request.
20-nov-2009
File Transfer...
25-Nov-2009
Med's Request
06-Apr-2010
Med's Done....
13-Apr-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06-Apr-2010
VISA ISSUED...
17-May-2010
LANDED..........
28-jul-2010
otown87 said:
Awesome! I used the link that you gave and got my entire history of travel to USA. I will take that with me also as proof for them, if the topic comes up.

However, what would your recommendation be? Should I bring this discrepancy up myself with the officer/agent or only talk about it, if they raise it?

I am worried, If they find it after they might send an RQ. But if I talk about it and they didn't notice it, they might send me an RQ now that I pointed it out. :(
Most of CIC officials do not use the i-94 report available @ https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/
They will ask you for report from https://foiaonline.regulations.gov/foia/action/public/home

But the above takes longer time.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
mailvdutt said:
Most of CIC officials do not use the i-94 report available @ https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/
They will ask you for report from https://foiaonline.regulations.gov/foia/action/public/home

But the above takes longer time.
Do you know why cic does not accept i94? Is it because it does not have time and other important information?
All it have is date and port of entry.

I can't remember exactly however as far as I remember someone in the forum reported that his/her i94 was not accepted and was asked to submit CBP FOIA records.