+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

wrong date in COPR but it would be an issue if old 3 yrs rule come back.

simoncanada

Dec 3, 2015
hi here is my scenario:

I arrived in Canada October 2013 by work permit

I went to holiday October 2014.

I applied PR November 2014 and my PR has been approved December 2015 and landed immigrant on December 2015.

In my COPR original date of entry October 2014, I think they counted when I was returning from holiday October 2014, but it is wrong.

So my concern is if the old 3yrs citizenship come back I should get credit half of the total days I spend while I was working visa.

But as because my COPR has wrong original date of entry, still can I get one years credit when I will apply my citizenship.

or it doesn't really matter bcz CIC has my records

any answer would be highly appreciated

thanks

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
See my second response in Permanent Residency conference.

First response by me was, in error, focused on date of landing versus date of entry.

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
simoncanada said:
hi here is my scenario:

I arrived in Canada October 2013 by work permit

I went to holiday October 2014.

I applied PR November 2014 and my PR has been approved December 2015 and landed immigrant on December 2015.

In my COPR original date of entry October 2014, I think they counted when I was returning from holiday October 2014, but it is wrong.

So my concern is if the old 3yrs citizenship come back I should get credit half of the total days I spend while I was working visa.

But as because my COPR has wrong original date of entry, still can I get one years credit when I will apply my citizenship.

or it doesn't really matter bcz CIC has my records

any answer would be highly appreciated

thanks
Under the new rules, what matters is three years of physical presence in Canada within the five-year period before applying (with time before PR counting half). So in theory, if you can prove you were present during that time by other means, that shouldn't be a problem.

However, in practice it may be a problem, because if a citizenship officer sees a conflict between your COPR and your application, there is a chance your application will be delayed because of the discrepancy, even though CIC should already have all the information it needs to understand the problem.

Therefore, I would suggest making an application to correct your COPR. This might also help down the line when you apply for OAS someday, whose amount depends on your number of years of residence in Canada.