+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Would I need a visitor visa or would Student visa suffice

jamesdent1996

Apr 12, 2017
Hi guys,

Just a quick question. I'm studying in the UK and have been nominated by my home university to study from September to December at a university in Ontario. Obviously I would be going as a student so it would be straight forward but my friend is going over too and his placement starts in July and I was wondering whether I could go at the same time despite the fact my studies do not start until September. Would my student visa cover July to December or would I have to apply for a visitor visa for the first two months and then a student visa for the rest?

Rather confused as there's not much information online. If anyone could help I would be so grateful. Thanks.

James

yesam2017

Apr 3, 2017
is your student visa issued? If it is and I would assume it would be valid from date issued to December. Then it that case you do not need visitor visa

twuser

Star Member
Mar 8, 2017
yesam2017 said:
is your student visa issued? If it is and I would assume it would be valid from date issued to December. Then it that case you do not need visitor visa
Wrong.

1. July is a bit too early for the OP to enter considering the fall intake, he might get questioned at the port of entry (considering he is from a country that requires a visa to enter the country).
2. Assuming he is allowed to enter on a student visa, the OP needs to be full time or at least part time student at a school (depending on his visa conditions).

Purpose of visit for a visit visa and study visa are not interchangeable.

jamesdent1996

Apr 12, 2017
Thanks for your response. So you're essentially saying that July is too early if I was to travel on my student visa? Also I cannot get a different visa to cover those months prior to starting my studies? I will be attending York University full time. If I was to enter Canada early it would be spent travelling too. Me and my friend would like to rent a private apartment as he starts his placement in July, hence the question. Thanks for your help.

twuser

Star Member
Mar 8, 2017
jamesdent1996 said:
Thanks for your response. So you're essentially saying that July is too early if I was to travel on my student visa? Also I cannot get a different visa to cover those months prior to starting my studies? I will be attending York University full time. If I was to enter Canada early it would be spent travelling too. Me and my friend would like to rent a private apartment as he starts his placement in July, hence the question. Thanks for your help.
Excerpts from CIC web site (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-arriving.asp)

The conditions listed on your permit tell you:

the educational level you are permitted to study at;
that you must remain enrolled at a designated learning institution;
that you must continue making progress toward completing your program;

if you are allowed to work in Canada;
whether you need to report for a medical examination, observation or treatment;
if your travel within Canada is restricted; and
when you must leave Canada.

So yes, technically you are not supposed to be on a student visa and not be "enrolled" or "continue making progress towards completing your program".

I think 30-45 days before your course starts is fine, 3 months is stretching it a bit too much; you might get questioned on your intent of arriving 3 months too early before your course starts.

jamesdent1996

Apr 12, 2017
Thanks again for your information. My studies start on the 7th of September so you could say it should be okay if I was to enter the country at the end of July/start of August? I totally understand what you're saying. It's my first time applying for a foreign visa and it's slightly daunting as I'd love to experience Canada a little rather than entering a week before my studies start and getting stuck with lots of work to do and no time to spend exploring. Even if I could enter at the start of August that gives me ample time to see the city in full and the surrounding area. Thanks for the help once again, I'm really thankful for it!

twuser

Star Member
Mar 8, 2017
jamesdent1996 said:
Thanks again for your information. My studies start on the 7th of September so you could say it should be okay if I was to enter the country at the end of July/start of August? I totally understand what you're saying. It's my first time applying for a foreign visa and it's slightly daunting as I'd love to experience Canada a little rather than entering a week before my studies start and getting stuck with lots of work to do and no time to spend exploring. Even if I could enter at the start of August that gives me ample time to see the city in full and the surrounding area. Thanks for the help once again, I'm really thankful for it!
You should be fine entering Canada July end. I don't see CBSA questioning your intent if you are 45 days away from the start of your course.